• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gran Torino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Meh, what you are seeing in those photos is either dark navy or charcoal.

Are you serious? Man, I see Zarko everyday on the news with the same BLACK suit and black tie. For me it looks black. black as the ink, right? I wateched the picture tunning my screen at several tones, and still looks black.

Could you please put the pictures for me of a real black suit and a dark one ?

Thanks

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is very true: black lounge suits aren't that bad. I say that despite my notoriety in writing this essay on the History of Black in men's dress with its Chaucer and Baudelaire quotations, that J alludes to in this cartoon:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuu2.gif
I even question whether there was a formal Rule forbidding black lounge suits: http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum...p?showtopic=84 I suspect that the colour of lounge suits is determined by fashion, not Eternal Style Rules. The real trouble with black is that it is too common to the point of cheapening this colour. Too many men default to black in a way that shows a complete and utter lack of imagination. Also, black suits only a minority of complexions. Because of this I strongly support the concoction of imaginary Eternal Rules forbidding black lounge suits.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That cartoon looks like the work of Jean Dubuffet.
laugh.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I think it is very true: black lounge suits aren't that bad. I say that despite my notoriety in writing this essay on the History of Black in men's dress with its Chaucer and Baudelaire quotations, that J alludes to in this cartoon: [ I even question whether there was a formal Rule forbidding black lounge suits: I suspect that the colour of lounge suits is determined by fashion, not Eternal Style Rules. The real trouble with black is that it is too common to the point of cheapening this colour. Too many men default to black in a way that shows a complete and utter lack of imagination. Also, black suits only a minority of complexions. Because of this I strongly support the concoction of imaginary Eternal Rules forbidding black lounge suits.
In SE asia maybe but in America and western Europe navy is a lot more common, I really don't get this argument unless you guys don't wear navy suits, black shoes, white or blue shirts and red ties. Allmore common than black suits and "showing a complete and utter lack of imagination". White also "flatters only a minority of complexions".

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gran Torino
Are you serious? Man, I see Zarko everyday on the news with the same BLACK suit and black tie. For me it looks black. black as the ink, right? I wateched the picture tunning my screen at several tones, and still looks black.

Could you please put the pictures for me of a real black suit and a dark one ?

Thanks

Sorry, it's a limitation of the photographic medium. You just cannot look at a stock media photo and distinguish between midnight blue or charcoal and black.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
In SE asia maybe but in America and western Europe navy is a lot more common, I really don't get this argument unless you guys don't wear navy suits, black shoes, white or blue shirts and red ties. Allmore common than black suits and "showing a complete and utter lack of imagination". White also "flatters only a minority of complexions".
I don't know what part of America you're talking about. Black is more common on both coasts and in fly-over land.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I may be color blind because true black tends to have that slight greenish tint under artificial light.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I don't know what part of America you're talking about. Black is more common on both coasts and in fly-over land.
Well like the big cities, I've never been to fly-over. Navy is a lot more common, no comparison. Sure it is "in my experience" but the same goes to what you're saying.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Well like the big cities, I've never been to fly-over. Navy is a lot more common, no comparison. Sure it is "in my experience" but the same goes to what you're saying.
My truth is that black is considerably more common in America than navy. I wish Men's Wearhouse or Jos A Banks would publish the relative popularity of suit colors that they sell.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I think I may be color blind because true black tends to have that slight greenish tint under artificial light.

That's not color blindless, that's the truth. Black fabric is never really true black - it's usually a super-dark green.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
That's not color blindless, that's the truth. Black fabric is never really true black - it's usually a super-dark green.

Ah, this reply is a relief to me. I too find most "black" clothing that I own, (that is not leather or a wool/cashmere sweater), have varying degrees of green in them. My pants especially.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads