• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Swede

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
fuuuuuuuuuuuuu2.gif

This did not get the amount of respect it deserves. Especially the attention to detail. Notice the lovely navy suit the poster is wearing.

Gran Torino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I did not think I would see the day when Sarkozy has been deemed the icon of proper menswear. Don't get me wrong, he is not the worst-dressed politician there is, but this is a very far cry from being an icon to be followed. Should we also all start wearing ridiculous heels to compensate a short stature?

I mean with the Zarko example that If a president of a republic as France has that " uniform" , it can´t be bad at all as he and 90 % of politicians have tons of image assesors ( or assistants?) that are professionals in style, right?

I remember either some images of Bush or Reagan with black suits if my mind doesn´t fools me.

Sorry about my English.

I am talking from the european point of view. It´s been almost 10 years I don´t travel to the States where most of this antiblack suits opinions come from so I can only talk from a side.

Did I explain myself right in English?
eh.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gran Torino
I remember either some images of Bush or Reagan with black suits if my mind doesn´t fools me.

Your mind is foolings you.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is time to reveal a secret to our non-USA brethren: The problem with black suits in the USA has more to do with our love for the "farmer blow" method of removing snot from our noses. Droplets stand out more on black.

Gran Torino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I think it is time to reveal a secret to our non-USA brethren: The problem with black suits in the USA has more to do with our love for the "farmer blow" method of removing snot from our noses. Droplets stand out more on black.

I need some private slang english lessons.. Didn´t catch it...
confused.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gran Torino
I mean with the Zarko example that If a president of a republic as France has that " uniform" , it can´t be bad at all as he and 90 % of politicians have tons of image assesors ( or assistants?) that are professionals in style, right?

Meh, what you are seeing in those photos is either dark navy or charcoal.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
I read somewhere long ago that black suit is not an acceptable business attire unless you are a matre'd or funeral home director. What's your opinion?
I would include poorly dressed chauffeurs (drivers, if you prefer) among this group. That is the first thing I think when I see someone in a black suit and wearing a tie.

But ... perhaps I have said this before.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Re: Is black suit an acceptable business attire?

Yes.

NO.

Black suits shouldn't exist in the first place, or there's no reason to have one at the very least.

For formal events, it's either black tie or white tie depending on degree of formality. For funeral, charcoal or navy suits are equally appropriate, how ofter do you go to funerals to justify a black suit?

Nadal

Reaction score
Hello.

If navy and grey is possible for funeral because is dark colour then why no black for work because it is dark also.

When I went for work suits was looking for black and grey but Poole said navy and grey. In my company people wear dark suits and no one care if black grey or navy.

I read people can wear blue midnight for smart event but people on here say black is only for smart event. If people can wear blue to funeral and smart event because dark colour then why no black for work.

I see also some people wear brown shoes but in England people say only black shoes for work. I read about laced shoe oxford but I see people in bukle strap and loafer every morning.

Nadal.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ The black suit -- or the person who wears it -- is what comes to mind when I hear ... He's a suit.

It's acceptable ... but only if you care not to begin your rise to the top ... or you work in some field that has an odd preference for black suits.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
^^^ The black suit -- or the person who wears it -- is what comes to mind when I hear ... He's a suit. It's acceptable ... but only if you care not to begin your rise to the top ... or you work in some field that has an odd preference for black suits.
Aren't you an architect? Have you ever seen what colour is favoured by many of your illustrious colleagues? There's a cute little book called something like "Why architects wear black" where plenty of the big names comment on that, it's funny, you should track it down. Note that a couple simply DON'T wear black, often because they find it to be too normative in their field. Note: when I think of a suit I think of some dude in a navy suit with crappy shoes, a red tie and a white or blue shirt with some computer bag strap crushing his shoulderpads. That's probably because I sometimes venture outside the internet and have seen suits before.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style