• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Always Suited
That is a good idea except I am not a boat rocker.

Just for laughs because he sounds like the type of guy who checks to see if his sink is turned off 20 times before he can leave his place.

Originally Posted by Always Suited
There is a young guy in my department who continues to wear his 3 or 4 button suits, striped or pastel shirts with loud ties. My boss picks on him. I am more of the quiet type.

Hmm, smacks of persecution.

This lad may be in need of sartorial succour. Sounds like a job for Dandy Man!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toad
Do all of these comments also apply to black suits with pinstripes?
Yes. Any black pinstripe with some degree of aesthetic appeal would be even more appealing in charcoal or midnight blue. Pay no attention to the rabble-rousing proponents of black. That way lies ruin.

auto90403

Reaction score
i never dared wear a black suit to work. which is why i never owned one. i work in a very dressy but conservative firm.

a black suit would not be acceptable.

obviously, things are different in more creative, casual, tolerant workplaces.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
i never dared wear a black suit to work. which is why i never owned one. i work in a very dressy but conservative firm.

a black suit would not be acceptable.

obviously, things are different in more creative, casual, tolerant workplaces.

Santa Monica is more traditional than I thought.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
To the Mod: Is there a way to combine this thread with my Trad thread.

Why, to make a dumb braid?

If so:
thumbs-up.gif
thumbs-up.gif

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ Six out of seven of those guys ended up dead. Think about that.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have owned a black suit for several years. It probably straddles the business/after hours divide, being peak-lapel, one button and quite a fine cloth.

While I don't have any problem wearing it, and indeed they're a reasonably common sight in my profession for quasi-historical reasons (law), I'm just not enjoying it much anymore, as it restricts the range of shirts and ties I can wear, leading to the same handful of combinations.

I'm toying, therefore, with the idea of replacing the buttons with covered black buttons and wearing it for the evening as a dinner suit in the style which reputedly has gained some traction in Italy. Thoughts?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
I have owned a black suit for several years. It probably straddles the business/after hours divide, being peak-lapel, one button and quite a fine cloth.

While I don't have any problem wearing it, and indeed they're a reasonably common sight in my profession for quasi-historical reasons (law), I'm just not enjoying it much anymore, as it restricts the range of shirts and ties I can wear, leading to the same handful of combinations.

I'm toying, therefore, with the idea of replacing the buttons with covered black buttons and wearing it for the evening as a dinner suit in the style which reputedly has gained some traction in Italy. Thoughts?

Mainly that I find it ironic how readily available suits exactly like you describe have become, while one must make an effort to find a dinner jacket in the same configuration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics