1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is black suit an acceptable business attire?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Luddite

Luddite Well-Known Member

it's not acceptable to me. AT ALL. it sickens me.

Yeesh.

Forget cancer, forget climate change, forget the global economic problem, we've got a real crisis here.

Chiiill Wiiiinston.

2. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

haha I dont think he got the joke in that, but I applaud your humor[​IMG]
    I totally got the joke. Assuming you're referring to me.

"I hadn't thought of that"?[​IMG]

3. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

Still no opinions on the picture I posted above?

4. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Still no opinions on the picture I posted above?

I think the jacket's too short and the black blazer makes him look like a maitre d'.

5. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

I believe that photo is from SF member gusvs, so he can comment on the particulars of the jacket.

6. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Is this something we should set out to change? Or should we allow this abomination to continue (and presumably worsen) such that black suit wearers can be promptly identified as being complete fucking douchefucks?

It should be changed. Only administrators in Universities can do this as they make the "dress code"

7. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

Black suit, by Kenneth Cole no less, really? For $500, seriously?

Sigh, I feel like we are fighting an uphill battle even within SF. Imagine what's it like IRL.

8. JordanH.

JordanH. Well-Known Member

Yeesh.

Forget cancer, forget climate change, forget the global economic problem, we've got a real crisis here.

Chiiill Wiiiinston.

nah ma....

nah....

9. Felix Krull

Felix Krull Well-Known Member

Black suits are just against the rules, you just don't do it. There are too many other options available for business than to go with black. Sure you can wear it and fool 95% of the ignoramuses out there, but don't bring that mess to SF.

10. JordanH.

JordanH. Well-Known Member

Black suits are just against the rules, you just don't do it. There are too many other options available for business than to go with black. Sure you can wear it and fool 95% of the ignoramuses out there, but don't bring that mess to SF.

word to mommy

11. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I think all black is a bit trendy, but quite slick and I personally love it. I do wear all black to work at least once a week, just for the hack of it, don't see anything wrong (not singletone black though, has to be pinstripe or some sort of shadow line pattern).

12. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Just to make sure I am clear--a black pinstripe is appropriate business wear but solid black is not, correct?

13. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Well, I say it's up to you, don't really see a problme if you wear singletone black, might look like a hitman, depends on how you play it if. The reason I wear pinstripe black or shadow stripe is because I am short (171cm, so 5"7' or 5"8' ish), and fairly slim, any vertical line will make me look taller.

14. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

Only if it has a pin stripe or some ohter type of pettrn in it otherwise you will look like your off to either a weddign or a funeral.

15. micbain

micbain Well-Known Member

Given how pretty much everyone wears black suits, why isn't it acceptable? I think it's not preferable but definately acceptable. This is just one of those SF golden rules that nobody IRL cares about. I don't own any black suits but that's just personal taste.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Is business an acceptable black suit attire?

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Given how pretty much everyone wears black suits, why isn't it acceptable? I think it's not preferable but definately acceptable. This is just one of those SF golden rules that nobody IRL cares about. I don't own any black suits but that's just personal taste.

I disagree, I feel it depends on where you are on the ladder, or what role you play in the business. I think the higher you are on the totem pole, the less acceptable it is to look like you just finished your first interview out of college. What may or may not be acceptable for an entry level position, or intern isn't what's acceptable everywhere.

If you had a sales position which relied on making calls to executives, or maybe high ranking officials, do you think that it would still be acceptable to wear a black suit?

Now you look at Navy or Charcoal and you make the same argument, and yes they're totally acceptable. That's what makes the difference to me, are they acceptable in the most extreme of circumstances.

18. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Only if it has a pin stripe or some ohter type of pettrn in it otherwise you will look like your off to either a weddign or a funeral.
    I agree but then I like striped suits. To me a plain grey or navy single breasted suit is a sign of un-imaginativeness on the part of the wearer maybe even of a person with something to hide or someone to dupe. It suggests someone who is afraid to take any chances. Now with the black solid suit, it depends on the fabric and the cut but it also represents a lemming like lack of imagination. They're OK for social because they have a hint of sex and danger to them.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I agree but then I like striped suits. To me a plain grey or navy single breasted suit is a sign of un-imaginativeness on the part of the wearer maybe even of a person with something to hide or someone to dupe. It suggests someone who is afraid to take any chances.

Now with the black solid suit, it depends on the fabric and the cut but it also represents a lemming like lack of imagination. They're OK for social because they have a hint of sex and danger to them.

So they're lemmingly sexual and dangerous? Sorta like a lemming with high heels and a gun?

20. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

So they're lemmingly sexual and dangerous? Sorta like a lemming with high heels and a gun?
    That's a good way to put it. [​IMG] They've become like a woman's little black dress.