• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looks nice Karl.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. karl, your tailor is correct in everything for the sleeves. Based on your picture alone, your right sleeve is shorter than your left. Your right shirt cuff falls higher than your left one does(if you compare it to the webbing in between your thumb and index finger) and your coat sleeve falls higher as well. It doesn't matter if left coat sleeve is longer than right one, if it doesn't give you the proper amount of linen showing on both arms. Some of the issues with your sleeve is the pitch and the fact that yyour tricep is stretching the fabric. The vent flares because your hind quarters(behind) is causing it to stick out(i.e. your butt is large and causes the vent to kick outwards). And no, it shouldn't kick out like that. I can't see the bowing of your left lapel b/c of the angle of your pics and cause you're posing. If you look at the fit pics here and guidelines, it says specifically to put arms at sides at all angles. The 2nd picture makes it too hard to tell. You gotta take that hand out of your trouser pocket - it may be what's causing the lapel to bow. I also see a hard edge at the same spot in the 1st pic though. Your button stance is too high. considering it barely covers your butt, and where it falls relative to your fingers, it'd say it's shorter, with a high button stance(bit ugly in my opinion but I always like buttoning points 1" below my natural waist).

My 2cents. There are much better trained eyes than mine, so hopefully they can chime in.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My first online MTM suit (Indochino) - obviously needs some work (despite having my measurements taken at the Traveling Tailor...) Since it's going back in for a remake, can you offer some suggestions? My own notes are:

The suit jacket:
  • I can button the jacket comfortably, but…
  • There seems to be a bit of pulling a the buttons when buttoned.
  • There’s some other dimpling / waviness along my flanks.
  • The sleeves definitely seem too short; I like showing some cuff, not the entire cuff.
  • Although they said shorter jackets are more in style right now, the jacket does seem too short for me and my junk-filled trunk, so I’d like it a bit longer.
  • The left shoulder doesn’t match the right shoulder; the left seems to have more material bunched up in the seam, causing a noticeable ridge.

The pants:

• The waist actually feels great. It buttons comfortably, not too tight, definitely not too loose.
  • The pants are definitely too tight in the thighs and calves.
  • The crotch needs to be lower, I think - it doesn’t feel at all ‘roomy’ in there.
  • If I bend my leg up, or try to sit down, it definitely gets too tight - almost to the point where I think I’m going to blow a seam.
  • There is some odd “twisting” in the back that causes an odd crease on my butt, while twisting the pleated line up the back of the legs.
  • Despite wearing the same shoes in these pics that I wore to the Traveling Tailor, I think they’re too long.

Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism!
-Branden
Your coat is too short as you already feel. It should cover or fall below your butt. The coat is a bit tight as well, but it doesn't pull on your rear vent, which happens to me a lot more than I'd like. Indochino tends to make button stances REALLY high, so I'd suggest you ask them to lower it greatly. If you're going to stick with that 3B, the 2nd should fall within 1" of your navel. You're right about the shoulder, one of them looks like it has roping, while the other is more natural. Tell them which one you like more and duplicate it on the other side.

Last edited:

darryl20

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not at all comfortable with the short suit jacket that's on trend as well. I'd also prefer a longer jacket just long enough to cover my butt.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not at all comfortable with the short suit jacket that's on trend as well. I'd also prefer a longer jacket just long enough to cover my butt.
Demand from them a remake. One more suggestion is(and I know this is very common for our "softer" members) to wear your trousers higher on your natural waist. Many don't on SF, but I don't adhere to SF standards for many things. My waistband is 1" below my navel thanks to my braces. I am 6'1" 183lbs with drop 8 and enjoy using braces instead of belts to hold my trousers up. Your 3rd B is where your 2nd should be, and where your trousers should sit. WHen you wear your pants at the right height, it gets rid of the bulge that many larger man suffer from when their pants cut into their stomachs.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approximately 1in below the navel is pretty standard in the CM section of SF. You're wrong about that. Maybe you just wanted to got out of your way to paint yourself as an anti-conformist.

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not so much, Vinny. I never read that thread, but the many other threads I had read on here were always filled with low-rise trousers and things of that nature. I had simply assumed that most of the folks wore their trousers below their hip bone, say 3-4" below navel. It was not my intent to appear that way. I go to AAAC a lot more, at least from the feel of the crowd, without reading an official thread, I know most of them wear trousers at natural waist.

Can you direct me to this thread? I don't know what CM stands for. Little touchy though? that's a bit of a stretch to say I want to appear as a non-conformist. Though by many SF standards, I am bit different, I merely stated that to let branden know I disagree with some stylistic choices of Indochino that seem to be popular with SF. Not some announcement to the board - just him so he knows I may give different advice to him than what others may give due to my tastes.

Ah, CM = classic menswear...

Last edited:

demizzle

Reaction score
I just received my first indochino suit and I'm thinking I need to take it back for a remake. It seems to fit well in the chest and shoulders, it seems to be too big in the sleeves, waist, and most of the pants.

Sorry for the bad pictures, I can try retaking with different poses if it helps.

Any thoughts on how I should be adjusting the measurements for the remake? Also, are the sleeves too short?

LorenzL

Reaction score
The Indochino 2013 End of Season Sale has started - suits reduced by $100, with a couple of interesting linen suits available. I'm keeping track of the suits on offer and the availability on the blog: Indochino End of Season Sale (Blog)

Also, I'm currently conducting a survey amongst Indochino customers, would be great if you could take a minute to answer some simple questions. Thanks!
Here is the link to the survey: Indochino User Survey 2013

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received my first indochino suit and I'm thinking I need to take it back for a remake. It seems to fit well in the chest and shoulders, it seems to be too big in the sleeves, waist, and most of the pants.

Sorry for the bad pictures, I can try retaking with different poses if it helps.

Any thoughts on how I should be adjusting the measurements for the remake? Also, are the sleeves too short?

If it fits well in the shoulders and chest, why take a chance that a full remake won't fuk something else up, when all you're doing is standard tailor stuff? Tailors slim pants, adjust waists, hem sleeves, etc.

Put on some shoes.

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If it fits well in the shoulders and chest, why take a chance that a full remake won't fuk something else up, when all you're doing is standard tailor stuff? Tailors slim pants, adjust waists, hem sleeves, etc.

Put on some shoes.

Did you see that collar gap in his coat? It has to go back for a remake.

You have to retake the pics or we can't help you. They're really bad. You have to ask someone else to take them for you. THis is why you need better pictures. I can't tell if your left sleeve is shorter than your right sleeve and what else is wrong with it. How are we supposed to help you?

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you see that collar gap in his coat? It has to go back for a remake.

You have to retake the pics or we can't help you. They're really bad. You have to ask someone else to take them for you. THis is why you need better pictures. I can't tell if your left sleeve is shorter than your right sleeve and what else is wrong with it. How are we supposed to help you?

I was wondering if the gap was due to holding the phone up. You're right, hard to judge unless someone else takes the pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads