• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Immigration Attorney

DesertSolitaire

Reaction score
I have a friend in Europe looking to apply for citizenship in the USA. I don't have any experience with this sort of thing, but since there are a good amount of lawyers on the boards, I figured I'd ask here. What exactly does the whole process involve? How much will a lawyer typically charge for such a case? She is in her early 20's and looking to go to school in America.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
why doesn't she just get a student visa?
i studied for a few years in the US always on a student visa..
unless you marry an american gaining citizenship is HARD!!

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but have had to look at this issue for grad school applications. If the institution is accredited and she is going to school full-time, it's a student visa that's completed by her and the school.

She needs to talk to the school and what their process is.

BP348

Reaction score
As stated the student visa would be a much better option if she's just looking to come to the States in order to go to school.

If she wants to come to the states and become a U.S. Citizen then that's a much longer and expensive process. I'm sure she can google Immigration lawyers and find a list.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell her to come here on a student visa then fall in love with some dude way below her standards who will marry her. I know a couple German women who did this and it only took a couple years. After awhile they realized they married losers, got divorced and now are free American citizens

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Tell her to come here on a student visa then fall in love with some dude way below her standards who will marry her. I know a couple German women who did this and it only took a couple years. After awhile they realized they married losers, got divorced and now are free American citizens

Current student visas restrict students from getting married here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Study in what, grad. school? There are a few cases where you can possibly get green card while you're in grad. program (qualify for EB-1, got to be something extraordinary in publication to do that though). Even that will take a while, and it will be at least like 3rd or 4th year into grad. program.

Why does she want to get US Citizen though? US citizen has taxable foreign income (though if you're small time, it's pretty difficult and time wasting for IRS to even bother find that out)

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack

i heard recently they give you a 2 year conditional green card to see if you stay married

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
i heard recently they give you a 2 year conditional green card to see if you stay married

Thought 2 yr conditional green card has been there for quite a while now, though I think you do become citizen faster (3 yr after green card as suppose to 5 yr after green card)

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Current student visas restrict students from getting married here.

If you have someone who wants to marry you and they are a U.S. citizen then they can file the paperwork to change your status.

DesertSolitaire

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. She's planning to study theater at Julliard, and is insistent upon becoming a citizen. I'll mention the student visa idea, as that seems the most practical.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's not going to be able to become a citizen by just being a student. After she graduates, she'll have a 1 yr period to find a job in her line of work, or leave the country if she doesn't.

DesertSolitaire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
She's not going to be able to become a citizen by just being a student. After she graduates, she'll have a 1 yr period to find a job in her line of work, or leave the country if she doesn't.

OK, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to relay that information to her.

rohde88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot

Are you referring to OPT? F1 visa is likely best for her at this point. Citizenship is much further down the road.

I'm an immigration attorney, would not recommend listening to this thread for advice. If you want to talk, PM me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics