• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

woodywoodson

Reaction score
OK, so I tried a pair of one-wash jeans (Iron Heart 634S). They didn't have my normal size (32) in stock, so I tried a pair of 33s and I thought it fit pretty good, though kind of a traditional straight-leg fit instead of slim-fit in the legs. I could button the top button without a lot of trouble, though it is about as tight as I would consider tolerable in the waist/seat/crotch area.

From doing some reading, it sounds like the jeans should stretch about 1.5" in the waist. That will probably be too loose right? Would I better served to see if I can get a 32 and give them time to stretch for a better overall fit in the end?

Thanks

Akashic

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying my first pair of raw denim jeans and was wondering if you could link me to a post that describes the best method for getting the best fades (when to soak, wash, etc...).

Was also interested in a page that compares the different types of raw jeans available and where I could buy them. Thanks

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Akashic
I'm thinking of buying my first pair of raw denim jeans and was wondering if you could link me to a post that describes the best method for getting the best fades (when to soak, wash, etc...). Was also interested in a page that compares the different types of raw jeans available and where I could buy them. Thanks
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=68358 For your second question I'd just recommend looking around at the affiliate links above to see what they offer. Farinelli's thread has quite a few jeans listed and photographed, as do the Detour, Context, Brigade, and Dresscodes websites.

Akashic

Reaction score
Thanks whodini. I had a look around at the post you linked to and found it VERY informative. When listing the brands though I noticed it didn't mention Nudies at any point so I was wondering if it's considered a lower quality/harder to fade brand. I'm only asking because Nudies would be the only brand of jeans I would be able to try on before buying.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Nudie is "low quality" but more "middle of the road." The focus is more on the fit but they do use some pretty great coated/treated/selvage denim. Depending on the model they seem to fade like anything else and aren't as stubborn as Iron Hearts for example.

If you're looking into Nudie there are quite a few affiliates that carry them. If there's an exact model or size you're looking for then you might be best off contacting Farinelli's since Mauro knows the Nudie people pretty well and offers a discount on top of free domestic shipping.

pridecake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Akashic
Thanks whodini. I had a look around at the post you linked to and found it VERY informative. When listing the brands though I noticed it didn't mention Nudies at any point so I was wondering if it's considered a lower quality/harder to fade brand. I'm only asking because Nudies would be the only brand of jeans I would be able to try on before buying.

Nudies aren't that bad. The quality isn't too special, but they definitely do fade and come in a wide variety of cuts so you can hopefully find one that fits you especially well. APC's are a good starting point to try as well, selvage denim at a very reasonable price. You can search through the marketplaces at SF and SuFu and find plenty of good deals of well.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
I thought I'd post this as an update/help to anybody else in my position (there seem to be a lot of people spilling greasy/buttery food on their jeans.)

I ended up not washing them or spot washing the area; I just let them air out for a week. This dried up the grease, took away the smell and made the stain essentially invisible. Now you'd have to be physically in my crotch to see it.

My 2 cents.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If i wear a 32 in levis 514 what size should i be getting for nudie jeans?

(its prob been said 1000 times but its easier to ask)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads