• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to stop overdressing

Reaction score
“being read as stuck-up and conservative rather than simply well-dressed.”

Did someone actually say something to you or is this all in your head?

If someone said something to you, it very well could only be their opinion or they might even be bullying you.

Regardless, you don’t know your peers well enough. These are notions that could be dispelled with “Small talk” (asking them if they did anything fun over the weekend, or did they watch the game last night)

You are into fashion. Decide if that is aspect of yourself you want to embrace, or hide at work.

If your co-workers are gossiping about the way you dress now, I can’t imagine how they would react to the more flamboyant casual styles you are drawn to.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel similar, the world has gone sweatpants and it's harder to connect with people if you stand out too much. I've stopped wearing pocket squares, I now see them almost like bow ties, if I wear a tie it's wool or cashmere, increasingly reaching for knitwear, lately I like a a chunky grey turtleneck (Salvatore Piccolo and Altea) with dark brown Valstar down padded suede jacket, navy slacks and suede Chelsea boots, I'm mostly wearing button down shirts, often with cardigans. I find in general that quality knitwear nicely bridges levels of formality.

As for tailoring, I'm looking to shift my wardrobe towards more casual, Neapolitan blazers, more textured fabrics, super soft shoulders, not too drapey, 1/4 lined, open quarters, suits and Oxfords reserved for formal events and super important meetings.
Interesting comment to me. I find most people don't want to connect. No matter what they have on. First, you have to have the willingness to have a conversation. I don't see that willingness is any greater in the non-tailored crowd. What you have on does not make me more or less prone to talk to you. The real question is, imo, do you have any interest in others?

garbiel

Reaction score
I think one should dress-for-the-occasion, within limits.

I'm lucky enough that I can wear what is nowadays considered "formal clothes" because of my job but off duty I stick go more casual with cardigans and slacks replacing my sport coats and blazers. Maybe you can do the inverse?

I don't know what industries are hostile to menswear, but I do know of people who are menswears enthusiats who wear tailoring in their personal time and wear "work appropriate" clothing when on the job.

I usually get complimented on my style so it's interesting to me that someone working and living in a european capital, which I assume would be more fashion forward, would get negative comments about how they dress. In my experience people tend to appreciate well put together outfits as long as your clothes aren't wearing you.

The shirt-slacks-vest uniform is horrendous imo. A full track suit or just regular streetwear would be much better.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thread topic. I realize that, on a subconscious level, this is a question I’m always assessing given the acceleration of the casualization trend.

With less tools to work with now, I have put an increased emphasis on fit and line. That got me back into MTM on shirts, with Kamakura.

My weight varies about 10 pounds over time, so I have two sizes of some pants, for example khakis and denim. One size would be acceptably comfortable at either end of the weight range, but the line is significantly better with a pair for each weight.

I focus more on the ‘bottom block” now, wearing interesting materials and patterns (shell loafers, suede LWB’s), and OTC socks.

An unlikely tool that I have found helpful in lengthening the line of the torso are Drake’s sleeveless cardigans. Now I previously would not have been caught dead in a cardigan, but Drake’s are trim, and suit sized (36, 38, 40, etc.). which gives the snug fit of a waistcoat, without the anachronistic feel of a vest without a coat.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't compromise. Walk into the room in your blazer and tailored trousers, pick out the worst dressed man in the room and punch him as hard as you can right in the god damned larynx. Nobody will #$!! with you after that.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't compromise. Walk into the room in your blazer and tailored trousers, pick out the worst dressed man in the room and punch him as hard as you can right in the god damned larynx. Nobody will #$!! with you after that.
Your fist could be pretty sore by the time you get home at night. A good sore though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads