• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to stop overdressing

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Hi folks across the ocean to the West (from a European perspective ;-)),

here in Frankfurt, our financial capital, the dress coat has been "casualized" in that the mandatory tie is gone. Otherwise it is still for bankers, consultants (like me) and lawyers the "international" two-piece suit and "dress shoes". "Dress Shoes" in parantheses, because what most men consider shoes are the cemented cheap ones, which is not the issue, that unfortunately never see some shoe cream and polish. Just with my black or brown Heinrich-Dinkelacker dress derbies, polished up with a mirror gloss, I stand out like a torch in a hurricane. However, I would never dress down, because I and my colleague who also starts to enjoy it, get compliments from colleagues, male and female alike. We are also taken more seriously and respected. "Cloths still make people" as we say in German (literal translation is odd).

Yesterday my colleague Julian was the only man in a navy three-piece suit with a tie, pocket square and polished and mirror glosed dress shoes, also the Heinrich-Dinkelacker plain toe derbies at the opera. The woman gave him compliments and other men as well, as otherwise most wore casual jeans and at the cold outside their pullovers and parkas.

Hence here it is fully accepted to dress still more "business casual" in the office, and of course full suit for client visits, but a sweater and jogging pants is a no go! Otherwise business casual is fully o.k., or the "full wardrobe" of the three-piece suit with tie, pocket square and dress shoes.

Also in my leisure time the good jeans, dress shirt or roll-neck shirt, sports coat and dress boots (Chelsea-, George-, Balmoral-Boots) are my usual outfit. If I go "casual" the jeans with a classic jeans jacket from Levi's and my polished sneakers from full-grain leather are the go to outfit, or my beloved Chelsea boots. A leather jacket is also my most casual option. I hardly wear any sneakers anymore, but prefer polished dress boots.

I also like to dress up as I like to behave well to everybody. This comes naturally with being dressed up to me. At some occasions I want to stand out as I do not like how the people I am with treat for instance the waiter and waitresses at a restaurant, or come to the dinner table in a 5-star hotel ressort with their mobile phones being put on the table and being absored by WhatsApp instead of really starting a conversation with their mates. Maybe that is arrogant by me, but then I am happy to wear my blazer and dress shoes to dinner as I feel better.

Also what we observe here is that the few men and women who make snotty remarks about our dressed-up outfits are envious, as they either cannot afford it (even though it must not be expensive) or would like to dress-up, but do not know how, and lack self-esteem themselves.

Satorial regards from Germany

Pascal

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
‘Heinrich-Dinkelacker dress derbies’

Are they the chunky shoes that go with Trachten? Or do they offer different styles to Budapester?

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Hello Kingstonian,

the sleeker lasts "Milano" (Italien style inspired) and "Luzern" (English style inspired) are not the chunky "Rio", "Buda" or "Janosh K" lasts by far. I like the Milano and most of my dress derbies are on that last, for instance the classic "captoe Oxford" on the Milano Last:

Or as the classic plan derby in Germany, the typical dress shoes one sees much more often than the Oxford:

Best regards

Pascal

Mirage-

Reaction score
This right here. After a while, people just get accustomed to how you dress and it just is. Roll with it.
Yeah, absolutely. In fact they might even ask what's up if you ever dress down, if they're used to you dressing up.

Also (usually this is outside the office) when judging whether I am truly overdressed or not, I often mentally filter out men, since too many dress lazily simply because society decided they don't have to bother with it, and just assess my clothes with respect to the women, who often make an effort. Suddenly, I don't feel that overdressed anymore, in fact I feel like I am properly matching their effort while most other men are not.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We say that in English like this: “Clothes make the man”

And that is itself a bastardised and falsely inverted form of it's actual origin;

"The cloth proclaimeth the man"

As you can see, the modern remnant of this saying entirely inverts the meaning, giving the misleading sense that clothing can make you into something - When the original simply states that wearing better cloth testifies to someone of noble standing (from a time when formal nobility was much more of a thing, and finer fabrics and fibers were relatively *much* more expensive/unreachable than now).

Last edited:

cantoryakov

Reaction score
And that is itself a bastardised and falsely inverted form of it's actual origin;

"The cloth proclaimeth the man"

As you can see, the modern remnant of this saying entirely inverts the meaning, giving the misleading sense that clothing can make you into something - When the original simply states that wearing better cloth testifies to someone of noble standing (from a time when formal nobility was much more of a thing, and finer fabrics and fibers were relatively *much* more expensive/unreachable than now).
in the tech-billionaire era, the cloth proclaimeth not very much at all

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first got into tailoring, I received occasional comments from the jeans and hoodies crew.

Now, everyone is used to how I dress. I show up to my performances wearing a sport coat and no one bats an eye anymore.

Roll with it.

This. I live in a very casual (maybe even sloppy) Los Angeles suburb. I wear a sportcoat and tie most days, rarely a suit now, but a tie is basically an alien object in my town these days. Everyone knows that's how I dress though, and I basically only get positive comments.

I even got an email from a professor friend the other day, quoted:

"Not too long ago, I was driving through Pasadena, and saw out of the corner of my eye that there was a man wearing a very proper jacket--I mostly just noticed the jacket--by the side of the road. "That must be Validus!" I said to myself, so I swiveled my head as I drove by, and, sure enough, voila, one Mr. Validus, a well-dressed gentleman cast adrift in a sea of cargo-short wearing barbarians."

This guys mostly wears cargo-shorts and is super casual - he's got 3 young kids so hard to blame him. Only douchebags and the insecure will criticize you for dressing well.

As someone said earlier in thread. Have some sartorial balls.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a physical therapist. I was taking my client to a treatment area yesterday and some guy in the clinic I don't know said, 'you're overdressed!". As I walked into my treatment room with my client I said, 'I'm never overdressed'. I had a sport coat and tie on, dress shoes.

I recently heard Hugo Jacomet say on a pod cast that those that dress are now the 'rebels'. I'll take it.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently head Hugo Jacomet say on a pod cast that those that dress are now the 'rebels'. I'll take it.
"Basically, the world of jeans and t-shirts, or that casual world became a horrible new establishment and my world of jackets and trousers became the anti-establishment." - Thom Browne

Last edited:

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I have a lot of thoughts and the overall premise of the thread is one that I have been considering as well. I live in New York and work in a casual office and my views are based on my experience in professional settings and social settings.

One solid way to upgrade your look without being the guy that overdresses, is to wear trousers that aren't jeans, but also not worsted wools. Some suggestions would be moleskins or corduroys for colder climates and linens, seersucker for warmer weathers. More than anything I've found these garments to be more comfortable than the default denim but can easily swap with jeans in terms of casual attire. If you wear your shirts tucked in, I recommend getting a higher waisted trousers. I find darker neutral colors (dark blues, navy, greys) are more flexible than khakis.

Jackets can verge on feeling more dressed up than you may want to be but, tweeds, cords, cottons aren't something that would count as very formal.

In colder climates a nice crew neck or v-neck sweater can come in handy. J Press and O'Connell's have nice pieces. I think overcoats are an area where you can still substitute a parka for a vintage overcoat. I have a bunch of vintage eBay treasures including a handmade Oxxford camelhair polo coat, two Oxxford cashmeres made of the plushest cloth ever and a heavy US-made 20-24oz herringbone tweed balmacaan. It seems like overcoats are one area where tailored clothing doesn't have to feel over the top.

Perhaps instead of black calfskin shoes, dark brown suede chukka boots or chelsea boots or suede loafers.

In aggregate, it is unlikely you will find yourself overdressed but you'll look well put together and you can keep the glen check three piece suit for a special occasion.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of thoughts and the overall premise of the thread is one that I have been considering as well. I live in New York and work in a casual office and my views are based on my experience in professional settings and social settings.

One solid way to upgrade your look without being the guy that overdresses, is to wear trousers that aren't jeans, but also not worsted wools. Some suggestions would be moleskins or corduroys for colder climates and linens, seersucker for warmer weathers. More than anything I've found these garments to be more comfortable than the default denim but can easily swap with jeans in terms of casual attire. If you wear your shirts tucked in, I recommend getting a higher waisted trousers. I find darker neutral colors (dark blues, navy, greys) are more flexible than khakis.

Jackets can verge on feeling more dressed up than you may want to be but, tweeds, cords, cottons aren't something that would count as very formal.

In colder climates a nice crew neck or v-neck sweater can come in handy. J Press and O'Connell's have nice pieces. I think overcoats are an area where you can still substitute a parka for a vintage overcoat. I have a bunch of vintage eBay treasures including a handmade Oxxford camelhair polo coat, two Oxxford cashmeres made of the plushest cloth ever and a heavy US-made 20-24oz herringbone tweed balmacaan. It seems like overcoats are one area where tailored clothing doesn't have to feel over the top.

Perhaps instead of black calfskin shoes, dark brown suede chukka boots or chelsea boots or suede loafers.

In aggregate, it is unlikely you will find yourself overdressed but you'll look well put together and you can keep the glen check three piece suit for a special occasion.
Good advice overall!

I wear linen pants in warmer weather and flannel as soon as it cools. Polo sweaters of varying thickness along with loafers (leather or suede) or Chelsea boots depending on the weather.

Casual day at work today so it's wool flannel sport coat (NMWA x Carrara), dress shirt (Zegna), wool/cash tie (Bigi), flannel trousers (Canali), and leather Chelsea boots (C&J).

I still see nothing wrong, despite the pearl clutching throughout this thread, with mixing in overshirts, shirt jackets, or chore coats as desired. I just won't do that at work. I typically don't wear jeans either unless wifey insists.

Just got this from NMWA sale. Went XL for looser fit:

Last edited:

Leiito

Reaction score
I feel similar, the world has gone sweatpants and it's harder to connect with people if you stand out too much. I've stopped wearing pocket squares, I now see them almost like bow ties, if I wear a tie it's wool or cashmere, increasingly reaching for knitwear, lately I like a a chunky grey turtleneck (Salvatore Piccolo and Altea) with dark brown Valstar down padded suede jacket, navy slacks and suede Chelsea boots, I'm mostly wearing button down shirts, often with cardigans. I find in general that quality knitwear nicely bridges levels of formality.

As for tailoring, I'm looking to shift my wardrobe towards more casual, Neapolitan blazers, more textured fabrics, super soft shoulders, not too drapey, 1/4 lined, open quarters, suits and Oxfords reserved for formal events and super important meetings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads