• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you get compliments?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get complimented occasionally but I am like earlier said "Big Fish Little Pond" College student who knows how to dress himself. Mostly I get strange stares and Slack Jawed "Whaw You shures do look dresstup you muss be goin somewher nice or are a homosexual"... fuckin rednecks.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I guess pretty frequently...but I'm also kind of a "big fish in a small pond", sartorially. College kids tend to dress poorly, Boston college kids more so, and Brandeis is FAR worse than the average college. So even putting on a button-up shirt or real shoes or god forbid a blazer, tends to draw compliments.

My two velvet blazers and my black overcoat tend to get the most.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by Boston kids not "dressing up nice." Although it isn't what most people on here consider "nice," BC kids always looked like they were coming out of a J Crew catalogue.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rarely, mainly on my shoes. Unless you count the constant comparisons to Bill Cosby.

GWHiZiTSPHiL

Reaction score
well I'm glad no one wears what they wear for fishing for compliments.
laugh.gif

Myself I used to when I was more of a brand whore and I admit I kind of wore clothes like that. Not anymore though, barely anyone in southern california knows of Nudies (not even people within clothing stores) and I don't mind at all. I like it that way.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I get complimented occasionally but I am like earlier said "Big Fish Little Pond" College student who knows how to dress himself. Mostly I get strange stares and Slack Jawed "Whaw You shures do look dresstup you muss be goin somewher nice or are a homosexual"... fuckin rednecks.

I get the same thing at my school pretty much. Odd stares and people thinking I am homosexual because I pull on jeans, a nice shirt and a blazer rather than going to class in my pajama pants like the majority. It just really bothers me when somebody is like, oh I like your jeans where did you get them Express, or American Eagle? I usually just stab them and walk away.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and "stacked" pajama pants are never cool. that **** should break once at your slipper.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I get the same thing at my school pretty much. Odd stares and people thinking I am homosexual because I pull on jeans, a nice shirt and a blazer rather than going to class in my pajama pants like the majority. It just really bothers me when somebody is like, oh I like your jeans where did you get them Express, or American Eagle? I usually just stab them and walk away.
snork[1].gif
If you throw a dog a bone, you don't want to hear if it tastes good or not?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm not totally sure what you mean by Boston kids not "dressing up nice." Although it isn't what most people on here consider "nice," BC kids always looked like they were coming out of a J Crew catalogue.

I don't live near BC so I can't comment. My experience of meeting those kids is yeah, they are pretty clean...and those Catholic school girls are HOT. But re MIT, much of Harvard, Tufts, Emerson, Simmons, Suffolk, Emmanuel, and several others, the standard is pretty low. Not uniformly or universally, but low. You picked the best-looking and -dressed campus in Boston
smile.gif
teacha.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I don't live near BC so I can't comment. My experience of meeting those kids is yeah, they are pretty clean...and those Catholic school girls are HOT. But re MIT, much of Harvard, Tufts, Emerson, Simmons, Suffolk, Emmanuel, and several others, the standard is pretty low. Not uniformly or universally, but low. You picked the best-looking and -dressed campus in Boston
smile.gif
teacha.gif

You're missing BU girls. They're the sluts of the town. Some smoking hot sluts, too.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom

co-sign on that one. I got that a lot in Spokane too. People will even ask amjacks the same thing. *cue banjo music*

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You're missing BU girls. They're the sluts of the town. Some smoking hot sluts, too.
Preach the gospel. A couple of girls I worked with went to BU. They'd win wet t-shirt competitions year after year after year. Good lord, I think I'm sweating.

Max

Reaction score
I know a kid who goes to BU. He recently bought three pairs of khakis on the same day.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get compliments all the time, but i live in a style starved place, so its not hard.

i get alot of compliments on my ande whalls...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads