• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you tip taxi drivers?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
If I'm paying cash and it's under a $10 ride and the fare is below the $X.50 mark I just round up to the nearest dollar. If it's more than that usually $1 + the change.
I do exactly the same thing.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
^^^

The only other person I tip is the lady who cuts my hair. I tip her around 50-60 percent. I tip her assistant around 20 dollars. She washes my hair.

That's probably a good thing, your people have that thick and oily hair.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I do exactly the same thing.

Awww brothers!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
I always use my CC and I don't have time to mess around with the slip, so if you guys want tip don't let me in your yellow cab.

Your mom let you use her credit card? I didn't know cabs accepted Wal Mart CCs...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$20 to the hairwasher?!
eh.gif
I think you may be overcompensating....
^^^

I tip a generous amount in other situations but I cannot justify tipping cab drivers.

The only times I have ever tipped a cab driver is if he did something "extra" like help take baggage out of the trunk or if people were getting picked up or dropped off at multiple addresses. Other than that it is a no go for me. And plus, a lot of them try to rip you off by taking the longer route home which is ridiculous. They act like I do not know my way around the city or something. One time, a cab driver actually made a pit stop somewhere saying he needed to get some money from a friend he stops in front of an apartment and runs up stairs. After about five minutes of waiting where the meter was still running, my friend and I just left...

I generally tip 15-20 percent at restaurants with decent service. I tip 25-30 percent at restaurants that I regularly go to or ones that have exceptionally good service. However, at the Spotted Pig..I tipped the waitress zero dollars on a 180 dollar bill. She was not doing anything but whining like a little ***** the entire time. And she threw a hissy fit when my friend showed up and sat down a half hour after we had arrived. The host knew he was coming and was running a little late. She was upset. We had already ordered a while ago and I just wanted to add his food onto the order but she would not let us. So I just told one of the busboys to add on to the order. He seemed to be doing everything that she did not do the entire night anyway. She never even brought out our appetizers in the beginning of the meal and we had to ask that busboy for them. He was providing great service. So at the end of the night we left her zero and just slipped him 40 dollars on our way out.

The only other person I tip is the lady who cuts my hair. I tip her around 50-60 percent. I tip her assistant around 20 dollars. She washes my hair.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can one not tip a cab driver in NYC at all? Do you actually ask the driver for your 30 cents back if the meter is $X.70? I've taken cabs with a lot of people over the years and have never seen anyone do that. Most drivers don't even carry any change

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
How can one not tip a cab driver in NYC at all? Do you actually ask the driver for your 30 cents back if the meter is $X.70? I've taken cabs with a lot of people over the years and have never seen anyone do that. Most drivers don't even carry any change

I needed $13 back once but he had no singles so he gave me $15 instead.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tip the cab driver $1 + whatever change is remaining. I would assume that is the typical tip. I seldom have cab rides that got over $10.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
$20 to the hairwasher?!
eh.gif
I think you may be overcompensating....

Yea I figured but I don't really care.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No I don't ask for change back in such situations. But I do not consider the 60 cents from rounding up to 10 dollars from a 9.40 cab ride a "tip". I said this in my previous post. It is more a matter of I do not really give a **** about 60 cents and dont like change in my pockets for me.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
That's probably a good thing, your people have that thick and oily hair.

stop stalking me

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Your mom let you use her credit card? I didn't know cabs accepted Wal Mart CCs...
Actually they do.
plain.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea I figured but I don't really care.

You may have misinterpreted my intent...

No I don't ask for change back in such situations. But I do not consider the 60 cents from rounding up to 10 dollars from a 9.40 cab ride a "tip". I said this in my previous post. It is more a matter of I do not really give a **** about 60 cents and dont like change in my pockets for me.

Let's get this straight: You don't consider it a tip, it's just that you don't really give a **** about 60 cents and don't like change in your pockets? WADR, you sound like a complete a$$hole.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You cheapasses, don't be such mr. pink bitches, if you aren't going to tip certain customarily tipped industries, don't tip at all. Restaurants, hair, blow jobs, whatever, screw them. One day someone will throw a bowl of pennies in your face.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this whole tipping thing should be eliminated, why should the public be expected to pay a persons wages as appose to the actual employer? The tip should be a measure of gratitude not an obligation. Europeans got it right.

Anyways, barbers and waitresses get good tips from me. Shoe shiners usually get $2. I only take cabs in the boroughs, never in the city. I hate yellow cabs with a passion and the only time I've paid for a yellow cab I tipped 0%. After getting charged $10 for literally 10 blocks theres no way I giving them any extra money. I already felt raped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads