• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Thanks!

17.8 shoulder (I need it to be a bit wider I think. 17.9), 4.25 lapels. My sweet spot is 3.75, but KW doesn't have that option, so I went big (having a number of 3.5's already)

Doesn't look too wide to me. I've got a peak lapel jacket that's about 4 inches (my shoulders are about the same as yours) that I think is perhaps a bit bold relative to the current trends, but still within the realm of "appropriate in all places". There, now you can sleep easy tonight: I know you were worried some stranger on the internet wouldn't approve.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's really unfortunate because 0.75'' is a large difference.
I don't think I agree. 4.25" seems similarly huge to me, without any context for how it looks. Claghorn's shoulders are not what I would consider massive (I believe at last check my shoulders are about 18.75" or so), but the 4.25" lapels look "right" on him. If you held a gun to my head and told me to guess the lapel size, I definitely would have said 3.5".

Obviously it is somewhat relative though. If one's shoulders are significantly narrower, then 4.25 might be a step too far.

doodledoc

Reaction score
I don't think I agree. 4.25" seems similarly huge to me, without any context for how it looks. Claghorn's shoulders are not what I would consider massive (I believe at last check my shoulders are about 18.75" or so), but the 4.25" lapels look "right" on him. If you held a gun to my head and told me to guess the lapel size, I definitely would have said 3.5".

Obviously it is somewhat relative though. If one's shoulders are significantly narrower, then 4.25 might be a step too far.

What I meant was having those three options only (each is 0.75'' difference) is unfortunate. Some people would like 3.75'' and 4''. There are a lot of lapel sizes that fall within that 0.75''.

I like the lapels on Claghorn's jacket. However, I know some would like a tad bit smaller (such as Claghorn, who likes a 3.75'' lapel).

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm happy with some of mine with 3in. Happiest at 3.75. Happy 4.25. Shape is probably also a factor. As is gorge height. And head size and neck size.

Last edited:

WhereNext

Reaction score
Good point in regards to the shape of a lapel, beyond just how wide it is at the widest point. My biggest lapels are "only" 4 inches, but they have a nice belly to them, that makes them both seem a bit bigger and also more interesting. I didn't ask for that, so it was a pleasant surprise, but it's something I will consider on future jacket orders; I don't like it as much on a notch lapel for some reason, though perhaps I have just not seen one done well.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's fuzzy. It's not clear. I edited the pic a little. I know it'll get very few thumbs but I thought it was cool enough to share. That's my story and I'm sticking by it.
Also go NINERS!!!

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just bought a new one myself...been binge watching Boardwalk Empire again, mostly for the wardrobe!
You probably already know, but the vast majority of the menswear on that show was made by Martin Greenfield.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You get a sympathy/solidarity thumb from me, Justin. Life's not always conducive to us appearing in our best light.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't help but notice that @Sander (and @Braddock) both have ultra neat shirt "tucks". Even if my shirts fit snug at the waist (not button-pulling snug, but close enough to not have extra fabric), I can't seem to achieve a neat tuck. It always end up in a billowy waistline, and I am unsuccessful at the military tuck.

the honor roll

Reaction score
I can't help but notice that @Sander (and @Braddock) both have ultra neat shirt "tucks". Even if my shirts fit snug at the waist (not button-pulling snug, but close enough to not have extra fabric), I can't seem to achieve a neat tuck. It always end up in a billowy waistline, and I am unsuccessful at the military tuck.

- or -

are options
bored.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics