• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Things You Think You Know: Myth Busting in Classic Menswear

Butler

Reaction score

Where are strollers worn these days? In context, I mean.

Whenever a daytime event, formality wise, does not require a Morning Coat; a state funeral or a royal christening does - the Stroller will be correct attire, echoing the seriousness of the occasion.
1f3a9.png

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For mere mortals, Butler. The Queen wears ermine capes, but they're costume for everyone else. My point is that the Informal category (as defined here) is essentially anachronistic at this point. If we're going to acknowledge modern context by putting dinner jackets into the Formal category, then Informal really shouldn't be included at all.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whenever a daytime event, formality wise, does not require a Morning Coat; a state funeral or a royal christening does - the Stroller will be correct attire, echoing the seriousness of the occasion.
1f3a9.png

Interestingly, as far back as the stroller dates, it's a wonderful way to look non-standard and still not out of place. If you are attending a day wedding, and the dress code permits, a stroller is suit-like enough that you won't look like a fashion poof, and different enough to stand out just a little. @Kent Wang 's stroller would be a good example...

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the subject of "strollers" has been brought up, here's a picture from August 1986, the last time I wore my grey and black striped trousers. I am also wearing an (almost) black Brooks Brothers jacket (part of a three piece Brooks Brothers "Special Order" tropical worsted suit that I got in 1976), a Brooks Brothers black, grey, and white striped tie, grey vest, and white OCBD shirt (yes, I'm wearing a button down shirt) and black Johnston & Murphy cap toe shoes. Since it's August, I am not wearing the grey spats that I got at a shop on Chicago in 1967.

Still have everything in this picture (except the shoes which have been replaced with a similar Allen-Edmonds pair) and everything still fits, but I don't think that I will have an occasion to wear the striped trousers (or the spats) again. Still wear the (almost) black suit to funerals (the only time that I wear it) and sometimes wear the grey vest with other things.

Butler

Reaction score
1f3a9.png
Interestingly, as far back as the stroller dates, it's a wonderful way to look non-standard and still not out of place. If you are attending a day wedding, and the dress code permits, a stroller is suit-like enough that you won't look like a fashion poof, and different enough to stand out just a little. @Kent Wang 's stroller would be a good example...
Sorry,but that is not a stroller - it would never include a white waist coat! (Whereas, to the surprise of many, a Black Tie rig can!)
1f3a9.png

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Roycru - that picture... Now I can't get the song out of my head...

"I got one foot on the platform,
the other foot on the train.
I'm going back to New Orleans
to wear that ball and chain."

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White vests (with dark suits) are for breakfast, grey vests (with dark jackets and striped trousers) are for lunch, and dinner jackets are for dinner time. Unlike some made up "rules" these are actual rules that were in a Rule Book.

Wearing a white vest in April 1968.........

......and in May 2016 (also wearing the same tie as in the August 1986 picture).

(Also wearing the same Hamilton Railway Special pocket watch and chain and Santa Fe Railway employe lapel pin in all three pictures.)

Butler

Reaction score
Yes, but buff and dove gray are acceptable. :)

White vests (with dark suits) are for breakfast, grey vests (with dark jackets and striped trousers) are for lunch, and dinner jackets are for dinner time.  Unlike some made up "rules" these are actual rules that were in a Rule Book./quote]

White, grey and other waistcoats are fine with a dark suit almost any time - the misunderstanding is due to the fact that a Stroller (Black Jacket as it is called in the UK or City Dress or Stresemann in other parts of Europe) is a specific mode of dress which is worn correctly with a black SB or DB waistcoat, Of course these days one can do whatever one fancy. :bigstar:

Informal funeral:

:bigstar:

Steven Hitchcock Black Jacket and Cashmere trousers

Photo;http://sartorialnotes.com/

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White, grey and other waistcoats are fine with a dark suit almost any time - the misunderstanding is due to the fact that a Stroller (Black Jacket as it is called in the UK or City Dress or Stresemann in other parts of Europe) is a specific mode of dress which is worn correctly with a black SB or DB waistcoat, Of course these days one can do whatever one fancy.
bigstar[1].gif

My interpretation is different. The historical provenance for wearing waistcoats of gray or buff is strong. Stresemann himself wore it with a waistcoat of the same color as the jacket, true, but he also wore a wing-collar shirt. This hardly means that this also must be worn with it. Things are always evolving and men correctly assumed that the Stresemann, or troller, was a corollary of the morning suit. Morning suits were often paired with gray or buff waistcoats and the stroller followed suit.

See here the morning suit worn with light colored waistcoat and the stroller in the same. Both in historical context.

vida

Reaction score

For mere mortals, Butler. The Queen wears ermine capes, but they're costume for everyone else. My point is that the Informal category (as defined here) is essentially anachronistic at this point. If we're going to acknowledge modern context by putting dinner jackets into the Formal category, then Informal really shouldn't be included at all.

Completely agree

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads