• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bienluienapris

Reaction score
Nice outfit, i love green, so the green tie is perfect with this blue suit and grenadine works pretty well with small check of the shirt. Is it a Jetted pocket and a flap pocket suit...
patch[1].gif
?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He was crushing aluminum cans with his ass cheeks.

Also, what color green is that tie?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That cut is so flattering on you, I think you should just MTO a bunch of different fabrics and be done with thinking about suits.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to rain on the Noods parade, but there is something off about that fit to me. I think it's the shirt collar. Also, I dislike checked shirts with suits, but I admit that's a personal thing.

What's wrong with the shirt collar in your opinion?

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone has been trying to tell noodles forever to just stick with Formosa...

Why is this taking so long to set in?

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These comments overlook the important fact that @justinkapur
has dark skin tones, which always work better with saturated shirts than pale skin does. And conversely, white shirts may at times be too contrasty. I'm not sure whether that's a #menswear #rule, but it's certainly something I've observed.

Justin, let's have a whole-head-and-body fit pic one day. Just to see whether I'm right.

Edit - snap! I should have read on. Justin just did post a shot with half his head in it. And I think it kind of proves my point.

I don't know what makes you think that, but I don't agree. Yes, people with darker skin tones can wear saturated colours better than pale skinned ones. But that doesn't mean that light coloured shirts look bad, they just have a wider range to play with.
BTW, the pic Justin posted later shows that the shirt is a lot less saturated than it seemed before.

It still looks bad with the grey tie though. It's just not a good look when there isn't enough contrast between the shirt and the tie. The pocket square doesn't really work either.

Also, I have a light complexion and sometimes white or very pale blue shirts can wash me out, while they always look great on people with a darker complexion. This is especially the case if I wear a very dark suit as well. So I don't think your theory is correct.

Contrast is good in classic menswear. You don't want everything to muddle together. Low contrast outfits generally only work with light items, such as a white shirt and a light grey tie. Low contrast with dark items, such as a dark blue shirt and a navy tie generally don't work.

Gents I appreciate all the feedback. I make sure to get light blues and soft colors when looking at dress shirts. I commented previously that in my earlier menswear days I should have bought 10 variations of light blue shirts and white shirts so I could wear them interchangeably. Unfortunately I bought loud checks, stripes, contrast collars etc. Ive eliminated most of those shirts already but still dont have enough of light blue shirts to wear.

I will be the first to admit my picture quality is ****. Im always in a rush to get to work on time and when I get there there is no time to take a pic of the outfit. I have tried to experiment with taking pictures inside my room, outside before getting in the car, before getting on the train, and while on the train. Still havent found what works best but will continue to try to improve.

And I just purchased 3 Barbas. 2 light blue and 1 white shirt from forum member Marblehouse. So hopefully those will be featured in my posts soon.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pennsy