• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help buying British shoes

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you are willing to spend the extra money, this special order program would seem ideal for one who wants the best but is unwilling to spend $2500 to $3000 for the full bespoke service.
worked for the RJman.

rayk

Reaction score
RJMan, as you know the wait time for a pair of full bespoke shoes can seem interminable. How long did you wait for delivery after the placement of your EG special order?

Thanks,

Rayk

slaavwmr

Reaction score
The cost is definately an issue. I need 2 pairs of shoes and if I go for EG's then I will have to buy a cheaper second pair, either and Alden or a C&J benchgrade. On the other hand If I don't get the EG I can get both the Audley and Belgrave. Its one of those tough decisions. I might go for the E&G's and then save up for my next pair of EG's at a later date. On the other hand I keep thinking maybe I like the C&J's better.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
RJMan, as you know the wait time for a pair of full bespoke shoes can seem interminable.  How long did you wait for delivery after the placement of your EG special order?

Thanks,

Rayk
Well Rayk, I've never had the opportunity to own bespoke shoes, but my Green special order took a bit less time than the three months they told me at the outset. They also were very prompt in responding to my inquiries through the process. Thumbs up.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stress how important fit should be regarded in making shoe purchases.  Edward Green is perhaps the most celebrated shoe manufacturer on this forum, yet, if I saw an 606E Acorn Dover in my size, for $200, I would have to pass since I know that particular last fits my right foot horribly.  The Handgrade 337 is a narrow fit--great for me, but it probably doesn't work for many of the forum members who have wider feet. Personally, I would rank my priorities in the following manner: fit, model, color/aesthetics, price. (see A Harris sale for shoes whose aesthetics overtook judgement). NCT

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(see A Harris sale for shoes whose aesthetics overtook judgement).
Ouch.
biggrin.gif
True though...

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone be so kind as to post the narrowest EG lasts (along the lines of the 337 on C&J which fits my foot beautifully). Many thanks.

koji

Brian SD

Reaction score
I can't stress how important fit should be regarded in making shoe purchases. Edward Green is perhaps the most celebrated shoe manufacturer on this forum, yet, if I saw an 606E Acorn Dover in my size, for $200, I would have to pass since I know that particular last fits my right foot horribly. The Handgrade 337 is a narrow fit--great for me, but it probably doesn't work for many of the forum members who have wider feet. Personally, I would rank my priorities in the following manner: fit, model, color/aesthetics, price. (see A Harris sale for shoes whose aesthetics overtook judgement). NCT
Interesting rating system. Mine would be the exact opposite.

mwa

Reaction score
While this is my first post, I have reviewed this forum for the last few months and have been quite impressed. It is truly a great resource. On the topic of buying British shoes, I have had my eye on the C&J Savile. I was told it uses the 332 last. Does anyone know how this last fits? In particular, does it run narrow? The shoe looks beautiful in the pictures, but looks like it could be somewhat narrow. Thanks.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone be so kind as to post the narrowest EG lasts (along the lines of the 337 on C&J which fits my foot beautifully). Â Many thanks. koji
Koji - I thought that the 808 was narrowest of the current lasts but I may be corrected by those with more experience. Side-by-side the 888 and the 337 C&J fit and look very similar to my eyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads