1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help buying British shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slaavwmr, Jan 24, 2005.

1. slaavwmr

slaavwmr Well-Known Member

On the advice of Johnynorman3 I am going to ask for the experts help.

I would like to buy some new shoes. I am thinking of replacing my AE Park Avenues and AE Byrons with similar english shoes. I wear a 10.5D. The shoes have some room in them, but not enough to slip out or feel as if they were. Any suggestions would be appreciative. I would like to order online without going into a store to try on when I have no plans on buying.

Thanks

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

generally, british shoes run .5" larger than american. for a more reliable response, you have to disclose the shoe you're interested in purchasing, in addition to the size you wear in various popular makers, ie "i'm interested in purchasing a pair of C&J Weymouths, and wear a size 10.5D in AE, what size should I buy?"

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

If you can wait, I'd advise you to wait until Bennies gets the new Grenson stock in. I found that the Grensons were a bit snugger in the heel and instep compared to a good American shoe like Alden or AE. Lots of terrific styles last time, and you can return them (minus reasonable shipping fee of $10).

If you were a 10.5 in AE, you will as a rule of thumb wear a 10 UK size, though in the last Grenson batch Bennies had, the shoes were given American sizes -- so you would have ordered a 10.5.

4. spatten

spatten Well-Known Member

I have to agree with johnnynorman3 ... wait for the Grenson's from Bennies if you can. I ordered a pair and loved them - and I have been wearing AE for about 3 years. They are the best deal going at that price or even a bit higher. If thats not an option you can order online from pediwear.co.uk - check out the Crockett & Jones Handgrades and the Grenson Masterpieces. They are pricey [​IMG] Enjoy, Scott

5. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

The American "D" width is the equivalent to the UK "E" width. If you don't want to wait for Grensons from Bennie's, Scott is right that Pediwear (Carol Bentley) is a good source for Crockett & Jones internet mail orders. They have have some of the handgrade styles on sale at this time for 221 pounds after deducting VAT. Still, this is about $430 USD. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/stock.php?...ID=41&offset=6

6. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

Watch out for Crockett and Jones sizing. I take UK size 10 in everything, or at least I thought so until I bought shoes from the C&J store, Jermyn Street. They routinely advertise their size 9.5 as size 10, and they were correct, they did fit me.

I have also found Alfred Sargent sizing to be quite generous, but not perhaps to half a size difference.

7. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Well-Known Member

Since you're in the NJ/NY area I suggest you take a trip to NYC and visit a few stores to try some English shoes for fit.

Edward Green at Saks or Jay Kos
    Crockett & Jones at Barneys
    Grensons at Paul Stuart
    Brooks Brothers carries English shoes as well though I'm confused ast to what brand.
    Cheaney at Saks
    Loake at Charles Tyrwhitt

They probably all have the standard cap-toe oxford in stock. This way you make sure whether you really like one model over the other and confirm your size.

8. slaavwmr

Thanks for the advice. If I am not mistaken the stores in New York ave American sized shoes. I know Barneys does. Additionally, I don't have it in me to try on when I don't have any intention of buying.

I bought a pair Stuarts Choice during the recent sale of $190. I find them to be extremly compfortable. I would love to buy the captoe but $575 is pretty steep.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

Seize Sur Vingt also has a few shoes by Sargent IIRC.

Even though the sizes are sold in American sizes, you can find out the last information and English conversion by inspecting the sock liner. I usually forewarn the salespeople when I have no intention of buying, but gladly accept their cards and write the stock information from the sample shoes on the back. During sales season I''ll call to see if my favorite model is discounted and simply order by phone. I've found this method to save time and make shopping a much more pleasurable experience.

10. rayk

rayk Well-Known Member

Another possibility for C&J handgrade shoes is PLal. Â I've bought six pairs over the past year. I take an 11D US and find that the 10.5E UK fit me very well. After you've made a few orders, shipping will probably be free. Â I now pay $397 for C&J handgrades, including shipping. Shyam Doshi is a true gentleman and will do everything possible to make you happy. One caveat, the wait can be frustrating. Â I believe that PLal's orders go out on the 25th of each month. Â If you place your order just prior to that date, you will probably have your shoes within a month. Â I've hit it wrong and waited nearly two months....but no complaints.

11. slaavwmr

After much research and thought I have narrowed my shoe choices to 5. As I said before I wear a 10.5D shoe in Allen Admonds:
    1) EG Berkely
    2) EG Chelsea
    3) CJ Belgrave
    4) CJ Audley
    5) CJ Whitehall

Would both EG's fit the same and all 3 CJ's fit the same?

Thanks

12. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

As you'll probably read elsewhere as you search through the SF archives, it all comes down to the last. For Greens you can select the last that best fits your foot. For the C&Js you mention, the Whitehall is built on a different last than the Audley and Berkeley, I believe.

I wear a 9D in AE and I've found that for Greens I like the fitting properties of the 606 and the 888 in UK 8.5 E. The only handgrade C&Js I have are the Weymouths which are on the same last (337) as the Audley and Berkeley. For these I also wear UK 8.5 E.

Best of luck to you.

13. slaavwmr

Does that mean the same shoes come in multiple lasts for EG? That's great. I am really trying to convince myself to get the EG's.

14. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

That's what makes the Greens so fantastic - you pick the style, last, size, and shade of leather. You may have to wait to have your order made up or get lucky if your purveyor has them in stock. Bear in mind that they are more expensive than C&J and will likely exceed the price point ($575) you cite below but you will get exactly the kind of shoe you want.

15. rayk

rayk Well-Known Member

I'm sure that our shoe aficionados will correct me if I'm in error. Â [​IMG] RTW EG shoes are available on stock lasts which are pretty much set, i.e. the Berkeley at Saks will be on the the 202 last. The following email from Susie Jones of EG explains the different programs very well:
    If you are willing to spend the extra money, this special order program would seem ideal for one who wants the best but is unwilling to spend $2500 to $3000 for the full bespoke service.

16. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

worked for the RJman.

17. rayk

rayk Well-Known Member

RJMan, as you know the wait time for a pair of full bespoke shoes can seem interminable. How long did you wait for delivery after the placement of your EG special order?

Thanks,

Rayk

18. slaavwmr

The cost is definately an issue. I need 2 pairs of shoes and if I go for EG's then I will have to buy a cheaper second pair, either and Alden or a C&J benchgrade. On the other hand If I don't get the EG I can get both the Audley and Belgrave. Its one of those tough decisions. I might go for the E&G's and then save up for my next pair of EG's at a later date. On the other hand I keep thinking maybe I like the C&J's better.

19. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Well Rayk, I've never had the opportunity to own bespoke shoes, but my Green special order took a bit less time than the three months they told me at the outset. They also were very prompt in responding to my inquiries through the process. Thumbs up.

20. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

I can't stress how important fit should be regarded in making shoe purchases.  Edward Green is perhaps the most celebrated shoe manufacturer on this forum, yet, if I saw an 606E Acorn Dover in my size, for $200, I would have to pass since I know that particular last fits my right foot horribly.  The Handgrade 337 is a narrow fit--great for me, but it probably doesn't work for many of the forum members who have wider feet. Personally, I would rank my priorities in the following manner: fit, model, color/aesthetics, price. (see A Harris sale for shoes whose aesthetics overtook judgement). NCT