• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@XxLogo how hefty were the import duties on your GS purchase? CBSA loves sniffing out my packages qq

I know you did not ask me. But I recently got a USA address from cross border pickups. So far I only got some car parts shipped.

Basically any US vendor will ship it to the address which is in Niagara falls and you declare it and they bring it over. A friend of mine who buys stuff all the time said he once shipped an entire engine and only paid about $80 bucks in fees.

Garrister

Reaction score
The main reason I don't like the brass boot in this. In the picture on the right (black CXL) the toe box looks good IMO. But on the right, it just looks weird to me. The area of the moc toe stitching seems really small, compared to the black pair.

I can't unsee it. View attachment 1816096
I agree with you and generally feel that the moc stitch looks a little off on all the GS boots. I know it's just a matter of personal taste though -- and that most people (especially here) would disagree me so it's not really a big deal. Personal preferences I suppose.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main reason I don't like the brass boot in this. In the picture on the right (black CXL) the toe box looks good IMO. But on the right, it just looks weird to me. The area of the moc toe stitching seems really small, compared to the black pair.

I can't unsee it. View attachment 1816096

I think a lot of people share your opinion, but here's a few thoughts for you.

Firstly, his boots are 9E and mine are 10.5D. Not only will the stitching and hardware look larger on a smaller-sized boot, but the E-width vamp/toe will extend further away from the moc stitching before it descends to the welt (assuming an upper of the same dimensions is used in the construction of both a regular width and it's wide counterpart). For instance, I love the look of the longwing brogues in smaller sizes because the perfing/pinking stands out more in proportion to the size of the shoe. The converse is true for larger sized brogues .

Another example of sizing & proportions: when comparing both the 10E and 10.5D side-by-side I noticed that the proportions were slightly different, and the shaft of the E-width boot was a quarter inch shorter. This could be attributed to slight variances during several stages of production (maybe human error) as well as the specific leather used and how it responds to the process. I think a larger/wider lasted boot will end up with a slightly shorter shaft height because of the extra volume used up when lasting.

Also somewhat related, the size/width of the welt trim makes a big difference in perception, especially top-down. Compare the Traveler penny loafer to the Brass Boot, it has similar moc stitch but looks completely different because of its closer welt trim (and different last).

Secondly, camera distance, shot angle, and lens type can make a HUGE difference. First example is the same overhead shot from shin height and shoulder height to demonstrate how distance affects proportions.
20220726_152942.jpg
20220726_153029.jpg

The second example is eight different shots from a similar distance but with varying angles on a vertical plane. I can't believe I went to this amount of trouble, hah!
PSX_20220726_162404.jpg

Third, it is ultimately a matter of taste, right? What we consider to be a balanced aesthetic depends on how our preferences have been conditioned!

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brass boots are cool cause they make leather that would never roll in a million years roll

… I have a pair in maduro shell those should roll even better

these are eee before somebody From the alden thread tells me my boots are too big for their liking

Attachments

• A445F2F0-F726-41E9-A905-FF603561E898.jpeg
    A445F2F0-F726-41E9-A905-FF603561E898.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 58AA9BC4-9C9A-466C-B4FD-5D4F2890A61D.png
    58AA9BC4-9C9A-466C-B4FD-5D4F2890A61D.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 50270349-9C74-4744-AFE1-A05F52B87FFC.png
    50270349-9C74-4744-AFE1-A05F52B87FFC.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Did you add a Topy or some kind of rubber sole? GS double leather soles are a non-starter for me - I burn through the toe in about a dozen wears and I'm left with needing a resole or metal toe taps (which I hate). I should have done this on both my pairs with leather soles, which are now sitting in the closet nearly brand new until I get them changed out to rubber soles. Live and learn.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Did you add a Topy or some kind of rubber sole? GS double leather soles are a non-starter for me - I burn through the toe in about a dozen wears and I'm left with needing a resole or metal toe taps (which I hate). I should have done this on both my pairs with leather soles, which are now sitting in the closet nearly brand new until I get them changed out to rubber soles. Live and learn.

I put a dab of Shoegoo. It is not esthetically clean looking but it worked for me for preventing toe wear.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I added a Vibram Topy over the double leather soles. I live in Singapore where it can rain any day throughout the year and hence all my leather soles get a topy by default.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tony0o0