• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm always looking for ways to spend my money more wisely, although one could argue that spending money on clothes is altogether not very wise.

wise or not, it is very enjoyable.

You decide whether you'd rather have the additional money (or whatever else you would buy with it) or the item in question. That is all.

bam

jedwards

Reaction score
I've always thought that this type of hobby clothing should always be bought from true disposable income.

Disposable meaning = what you can comfortably afford once everything is covered for life's essentials, day to day life and provisions for the future.

For me, I have reconciled what I can afford as "disposable" each month. So, in theory, that allows me to spend all of that months money on either one item, or one thousand items. Whatever makes me the most happy. I recognised a long time ago that there is no logic to these prices I pay. To start trying to measure the difference in quality and style to justify the extra spend is only wasting your own time in the end.

When I have compromised in the past and bought what I considered "second best" as it was a close substitute, I was never happy with it. And I ended up buying the more expensive version I wanted anyway. So the original was a waste of money.

But, I think a lot of iGents in general, are not honest about whatever their true disposable income is. That's why there is so much questioning and discrepancies with fairly minor issues and tantrums and tears you see on some threads here.

A sure sign for me whether or not I can really afford something is when I start questioning the price / value before pulling the trigger. That effectively means the financial sacrifice is too high for me, because I am putting too many expectations on the item, wanting it to be magical in some way for what is ultimately just a pair of shoes or just a... whatever. You see it on here all the time.

You have to treat all these SF brands / practices as utter luxuries and frivolities. If at any point there is the slightest of doubt about the "value" of what you are about to purchase, it's wise to not proceed.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am an economist, and I'm telling you, few of our kind would think of doing such a thing and calling it "quality".
tumblr_m1slkld6xp1qf2gl0.gif

Wait...let me guess, you work at the IMF or the World Bank, right?

Anyhow, I am numbers guide and I am a homer to rankings. I am sure not all things can have a number but I think stuff that we talk about, shoes, suits, etc can have a score based on a lot of different things.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As long as there's a price associated with the choices, it's hard not to try to quantify the differences. If a pair of shoes costs 2x a pair you consider to have acceptable quality/desirability, what are you getting for your extra money? In a sense, if you don't intuitively think the differences make it 2x the quality/desirability, then you'll decide it's not worth it, right?

No, not really, because that is only if the cheaper option is a starting point, or even a factor. See, the way I look at it is like this:

Lets say GG shoes cost 1300, or a certain SC costs 1500. The question is, Do like it? Do I love it? Do I yearn for it? Do I think it is luxurious and well made? Does the brand mean something to me? If yes, then that item is worth that price for me. And if it is worth that price, then the fact that something else is comparable to it, but cheaper, does not really matter, because what I want is worth the price being asked. At that point, its just a matter of can I afford it or not?

And if I cant, what can I do to make it so I can afford it? If there is no way, only then do I begin to consider alternate, and perhaps less expensive, options.

You've used a lot of words to say that you think it's worth it. :) Seriously, though: You are presented with two pairs of shoes, visually virtually identical, one costs 2x the other, and is hand-stitched vs. the machine stitching of the cheaper shoe and whatever the other markers of more expensive shoes are. How do you decide which shoe to buy? You're making some assessment of value (or you're just buying the more expensive shoe because...?).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You've used a lot of words to say that you think it's worth it. :) Seriously, though: You are presented with two pairs of shoes, visually virtually identical, one costs 2x the other, and is hand-stitched vs. the machine stitching of the cheaper shoe and whatever the other markers of more expensive shoes are. How do you decide which shoe to buy? You're making some assessment of value (or you're just buying the more expensive shoe because...?).

i dont think i have ever been presented with 2 virtually identical items with a wide price gap. i have looked at EGs and GGs that were damn close to identical, or similar comparisons, but i dont think i really find items that are 2 or more times the price of something else to be virtually identical.

but, i have been presented with 2 pairs of chocolate suede cap toes, or 2 different navy suits, or 2 different check SCs, all with wide price gaps, that were similar in that they were both chocolate suede cap toes..... but the similarity was just in that, they were similar items stylistically, but certainly not virtually identical.

i rarely delve all that deep into the nuances of construction, as at the level i am mostly dealing with, i am reasonably assured that construction will always be fine. are GGs made that much better than carminas? idk, probably not, all i know is, that after having both i am pretty sure neither will fall apart on me.

that being said, i look at the 2, or 3, or 4, shoes, or suits, or SCs, that match the general stylistic points i am looking for in an item i want to add to my closet, and i will hopefully buy whichever one i like more, price aside. im just looking to see which one appeals to me more on a visual/stylistic level. it will usually be the more expensive one that appeals more, which either speaks about the slight nuances that make them more expensive, or it speaks to my head damage, either way, they are usually more appealing. and assuming i can afford them, i go for it.

if i cant swing it, if i like the less expensive option well enough, and i feel its an item i need in my wardrobe, ill go with the less expensive one, if not, i hold off. there are times, though they are few, that for one reason or another, i think i actually liked the cheaper item more.

and i want an honest show of hands, who here can say that when looking at 2 similar items, that they do not much more often than not find the much more expensive one nicer? and im not talking about "fashion" brands, im talking within with the hierarchy/list of brands that SFers like. anyone who says that is not usually true will get a new custom title of, shameless liar.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think i have ever been presented with 2 virtually identical items with a wide price gap. i have looked at EGs and GGs that were damn close to identical, or similar comparisons, but i dont think i really find items that are 2 or more times the price of something else to be virtually identical.

but, i have been presented with 2 pairs of chocolate suede cap toes, or 2 different navy suits, or 2 different check SCs, all with wide price gaps, that were similar in that they were both chocolate suede cap toes..... but the similarity was just in that, they were similar items stylistically, but certainly not virtually identical.

i rarely delve all that deep into the nuances of construction, as at the level i am mostly dealing with, i am reasonably assured that construction will always be fine. are GGs made that much better than carminas? idk, probably not, all i know is, that after having both i am pretty sure neither will fall apart on me.

that being said, i look at the 2, or 3, or 4, shoes, or suits, or SCs, that match the general stylistic points i am looking for in an item i want to add to my closet, and i will hopefully buy whichever one i like more, price aside. im just looking to see which one appeals to me more on a visual/stylistic level. it will usually be the more expensive one that appeals more, which either speaks about the slight nuances that make them more expensive, or it speaks to my head damage, either way, they are usually more appealing. and assuming i can afford them, i got for it.

if i cant swing it, if i like the less expensive option well enough, and i feel its an item i need in my wardrobe, ill go with the less expensive one, if not, i hold off. there are times, though they are few, that for one reason or another, i think i actually liked the cheaper item more.

and i want an honest show of hands, who here can say that when looking at 2 similar items, that they do not much more often than not find the much more expensive one nicer? and im not talking about "fashion" brands, im talking within with the hierarchy/list of brands that SFers like. anyone who says that is not usually true will get a new custom title of, shameless liar.

How about Rudals and the Suitsupply La Spalla or the Formosa vs. his Zegnas? Or his TF ties vs. Hober/ConradWu/Drakes?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How about Rudals and the Suitsupply La Spalla or the Formosa vs. his Zegnas? Or his TF ties vs. Hober/ConradWu/Drakes?

well, i have never seen a SS fancy line suit in person, but ill post a pic naked if someone can honestly tell me that all things considered, they are made as well, with as nice fabric, as formosa. ill bet they are not virtually identical to any SFer. cant really say with zegna as they have so many models and price points and styles, but the nicer stuff, i am sure is not virtually identical to whatever nicer stuff SS has. maybe the SS stuff has lapels and other stuff that is more Sf approved, but the luxe factor will certainly fall squarely in the lap of zegna id think.

TF ties are pretty close in price to some drakes and a fully tricked out hober. wu is an anomaly because he has the best priced ties for the style/construction i have seen, same goes for a standard model hober.

also, TF really falls into that "fashion" brand category. when they sell them at NM and what not, they are like prada and gucci and any other name where they can price things however they want because enough people have bought into the brand.

call me a snob, but thats how i see it. :)

Last edited:

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I think if more of us were honest, we'd confess to being swayed by the cachet of a particular brand or maker. We decide we have to have brand X in shoes or a suit, then work backwards to justify spending 2x more than the similar, lesser priced item: "it's better made; longer lasting; more hand-stitching" etc. All of which may be true, and for the obsessed individual, there is no value ratio; you want want you want, within reason, and you won't be happy with anything less.

Then there is the pragmatist who says "here's what I can afford, and here's what I need; item Z looks nearly as good as item X, and it's 1/2 the cost. Sold."

I think we can all identify a number of gents here who fall into one of these two camps, the Perfectionist and the Pragmatist. Naturally the two are not mutually exclusive: Mr X insists on wearing Brand A suits but will settle for Brand B shoes, and Mr. Z has his shoes custom made, but wears OTR suits. Priorities differ. For the truly obsessed however, there are few compromises to be made. As Oscar Wilde said "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best".

jssdc

Reaction score

Wouldn't the more relevant comparison (according to Stitchy's construct) be the SS vs. the Formosa rather than the Formosa vs. the Zegna? The discussion of the SS vs. Formosa was actually a case study in what Stitchy is talking about. One is three times the price of the other despite being quite similar. Yet Rudals strongly preferred the Formosa because for him certain details of the Formosa made it far more attractive and that non-objective preference persuaded him to hold off on the SS.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ i lol'ed ^^

Wouldn't the more relevant comparison (according to Stitchy's construct) be the SS vs. the Formosa rather than the Formosa vs. the Zegna?  

kind of what i was trying to say, but you said it better.

that being said, i have a hard time believing that a 1k SS suit would be visually identical to a formosa. stylistically similar and both good quality? sure. but virtually identical, i doubt it.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ i lol'ed ^^
kind of what i was trying to say, but you said it better.

that being said, i have a hard time believing that a 1k SS suit would be visually identical to a formosa. stylistically similar and both good quality? sure. but virtually identical, i doubt it.

No, they're in different leagues. It goes back to the (now irrelevant) question: 2 SuSu or 1 Formosa? I'd go for one Formosa as well. Actually, I'd go for 4 Sartoria Partenopea suits, but it's not really a fair comparison, as the sale prices are absolutely ridiculous. It's the most underrated brand, and I'm hoping it'll stay that way for a while.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads