• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get fit in about 5 Weeks

TonyHuynhTwo

Reaction score
Some sketchy advice on this thread.

"Just go to the gym and run through all the machines. Two cycles of 8 reps. Adjust weights. 3xweek. You don't need cardio but if you want to eat a little more everyday then cardio is good."
How do you know what machines are at the gym he's going to? I've been to multiple gyms where the equipment available varies greatly; I've seen gyms with six pieces of fixed circuit machines, and gyms with 32. The guys looking to lose 11 pounds in seven weeks here and you're telling him not to do cardio? Sounds like your plan's more built for someone just looking to gain muscle mass. I'm assuming this guy want to build lean muscle and torch fat, rather than just bulk up.

"Lift weights, run A LOT, drink plenty of water, eat healthy, etc."
This is great general advice, but it's way too general. I'm sure he knew all this.

"You have 7 weeks to lose 11lb. Just run a slight calorie deficit and it'll be easy"
Since there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat: to lose the amount of weight the poster would want to achieve in seven weeks (11lbs), he would have to run a calorie deficit of 38,500 calories or 786 calories a day in that time frame. Not only is that dangerous, but it probably wouldn't work. The body tends to go into starvation mode when a person drastically reduces the calories their body needs to function. During starvation mode the body conserves energy by slowing down a person's metabolism so that they don't burn through all their energy reserves. Also a lot of mass lost during this diet plan
would come from muscle in addition to fat.

Obviously coming to a style forum to get advice on how to build lean muscle and torch fat may have not been the best idea. There are plenty of websites where you can obtain free information on how to eat and exercise, to achieve your fitness goals. I recommend menshealth.com, this site is filled with advice from professionals that really do know what they're talking about.

If you really want a quick and dirty guide on how to exercise and what to eat, here's what I do during the week to keep in shape:

Daily Breakdown

Morning:

The first thing I do when I wake up is:
-Eat a very small breakfast with a glass of 2% milk (I like to keep the calories in around 300)
-Perform 100 regular push ups. (I do it in one set, but you can break it up however).

This quick morning routine both wakes me up, and gets my metabolism running strong in the morning: One of my friends who's a trainer for the Baltimore Raven's, tells me to picture my metabolism like a fire that burns calories. You want to add both fuel (food), and fan it (exercise) to make it burn hotter. So making sure your fire starts out burning hot in the morning, by getting something in your stomach and doing this very light exercise routine in the morning.

When I get to the office I have a medium sized meal (around 500-600 calories)

In between this 8AM-12PM when I'm in the office I try to guzzle down around four glasses (8oz) of water to keep myself feeling full and hydrated.

Afternoon:

At lunch around 12PM I like to:
-Take a leisurely ten minute walk around my office building,
-Eat a medium sized meal with a glass of water (around 500 calories)

Around 4PM I usually have a handful (1oz) of walnuts (170 calories).

In between the 1PM-5PM period I guzzle down another four glasses of water.

Evening (Here's where it varies during the week):

Miscellaneous Gym Workout (Details Later)
Eat Dinner (Around 500 Calories)

I end the day at 10pm with a good 8 hour night sleep. It's important to get enough sleep, so your body can rest and focus on repairing the muscles you've damaged during your workouts.

This routine allows me to get all the exercise and nutrition to keep my body at a healthy and very tight 145lbs 5'9" 29" waist.

Barney Stinson

Reaction score
Ok dude, you're 4 days in with lots of good info in the thread - are you hitting it or what? If you ain't on it yet, what the **** are you waiting for? And, if you are, how goes it?
Everyone wants to see you get somewhere, but you gotta do the work. Start fessin' up here daily or every other day with what you're doing and where you're at. Trust me, accountability will help.
So... where are you at?

Sure I will hit it ;)
As I told... In a few hours I will drive to a wedding and will come back earlier as planned. Will be back here on monday and will begin on tuesday ;)

TonyHuynhTwo

Reaction score
Monday-Saturday Workout Routine

Monday- Chest/Triceps/AB's

One Hour Cardio

Chest:
Dumbbell Fly's (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Seat Butterfly (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Bench Press (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Push Up's (4 Sets of as much as you can do in 1 minute)

Triceps (should be a little sore):
Dips (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Tricep Pressdown (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)

AB's

Weighted Crunches (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Hanging Leg Lifts (4 Sets 50 Reps)

Tuesday- Legs/Obliques:

Half Hour Cardio

Legs:
Squats (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Leg Extension (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Leg Curl (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Abductor (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)

Obliques:
Weighted Side Bends (4 Sets 25 Reps)
Roman Twists (Too Exaustion)

Wednesday: Back/Shoulders/Biceps/AB's

No Cardio

Back:
Pull Up's (4 Sets 12 Reps) More emphasis on back.
Chin Up's (4 Sets 12 Reps) More emphasis on biceps.
Seated Machine Row (4 Sets 12 Reps)
One Arm Dumbbell Row (4 Sets 12 Reps)
Lower Back Extension (4 Sets 25 Reps)

Shoulders:
Seated Overhead Press (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Dumbbell Side Extension (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Dumbbell Front Extension (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)

Biceps (Should Be Sore):
Seated Preacher Curl (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Individual Arm Bicep Curl (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)

Thursday- Chest/Triceps/AB's

One Hour Cardio

Chest:
Dumbbell Fly's (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Seat Butterfly (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Bench Press (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Push Up's (4 Sets of as much as you can do in 1 minute)

Triceps (should be a little sore):
Dips (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Tricep Pressdown (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)

AB's

Weighted Crunches (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Hanging Leg Lifts (4 Sets 50 Reps)

Friday- Legs/Obliques:

Half Hour Cardio

Legs:
Squats (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Leg Extension (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Leg Curl (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)
Abductor (4 Sets 12-15 Reps)

Obliques:
Weighted Side Bends (4 Sets 25 Reps)
Roman Twists (Too Exaustion)

Saturday: Back/Shoulders/Biceps/AB's

No Cardio

Back:
Pull Up's (4 Sets 12 Reps) More emphasis on back.
Chin Up's (4 Sets 12 Reps) More emphasis on biceps.
Seated Machine Row (4 Sets 12 Reps)
One Arm Dumbbell Row (4 Sets 12 Reps)
Lower Back Extension (4 Sets 25 Reps)

Shoulders:
Seated Overhead Press (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Dumbbell Side Extension (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Dumbbell Front Extension (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)

Biceps (Should Be Sore):
Seated Preacher Curl (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)
Individual Arm Bicep Curl (4 Sets 6-10 Reps)

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sure I will hit it ;) 
As I told... In a few hours I will drive to a wedding and will come back earlier as planned. Will be back here on monday and will begin on tuesday ;) 

Sounds good. One tip - go easy on the eats and drinks at the wedding. For everything you eat that's beyond the norm just think "I'm gonna have to work that off".

In other words, don't look at it like your last hurrah before you start working out, look at it like you're already getting started.

Have fun at the wedding!

smallfry

Reaction score
Cardio, just do cardio, get that calorie deficit going and stock up on vegetables, lean meat, water and stay away from fruit juices and high fat foods.

Attending a training class will help as it will push you harder.

Barney Stinson

Reaction score
So I arrived back here. Great wedding! Tomorrow I will start with the workout. Beofre that I weigh myself and will give you weekly and special reports how it's going.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some sketchy advice on this thread.
"Just go to the gym and run through all the machines. Two cycles of 8 reps. Adjust weights. 3xweek. You don't need cardio but if you want to eat a little more everyday then cardio is good."
How do you know what machines are at the gym he's going to? I've been to multiple gyms where the equipment available varies greatly; I've seen gyms with six pieces of fixed circuit machines, and gyms with 32. The guys looking to lose 11 pounds in seven weeks here and you're telling him not to do cardio? Sounds like your plan's more built for someone just looking to gain muscle mass. I'm assuming this guy want to build lean muscle and torch fat, rather than just bulk up.

i loled at go to menshealth. your routine reeks of menshealth

the diet i suggested should naturally have him eating less than maintenance so lean gains at best not bulking. i shoulda been more specific. what i meant was full body workouts by using the machines. cardio doesnt matter if you're eating less than maintenance. i told him if he wants to eat junk food then he should cardio.

TonyHuynhTwo

Reaction score
Read the original posters goals again he's trying to lose 11lbs in seven weeks. Like I said before, he would have to run a calorie deficit of 786 calories a day to do that. I don't know how anyone can expect someone to do that without losing a lot of muscle tissue in the process. A body in a catabolic state uses both fat and muscle tissue, to get the energy and nutrients it needs. The healthy and safe way to lose that much weight is a combination of strength training along with cardio. Dropping 11lbs in seven weeks is not a cakewalk, cardio is a must. On top of that cardio is essential in maintaining overall good health; what's the point of being able to bench three hundred pounds if you get winded and sweaty from climbing a few flights of stairs? I really don't know why you have such an aversion to cardio.

As for my routine, I don't care if you like it or not. What I do on a daily basis gives me great results, and fits perfectly in my busy schedule. My daily routine gives me the strength/energy/look that allows me to: bench 1.5 times my body weight, reveal my six-pack to the ladies, and run around all day with my nephews (people with kids no this is no easy feat). The best part is, it's really easy to stick to since it doesn't starve me, and doesn't force me to get all my work done in three overly long workout sessions.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont have an aversion to cardio. however it's not essential. it doesn't matter how you achieve a caloric deficit as long you achieve it.

786 calories seems about a good amount. his maintenance is 2500 so 800 would leave him with 1700. if he gets hungry he can do cardio and eat more. a 30% deficit seems at the upper limit, but he won't lose tons of muscle like you claim

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Claims great results. 145lb at 5'9", is this real life?

11lb body weight in 7 weeks is nothing. He could probably drop get to that in a week or 2 because he's inevitably storing **** loads of water, which he'll piss out right away.

Dapp

Reaction score
I'm not trying to hijack your thread but we have similar dimensions and I don't want to add another thread just for me.
Current
6'00 187 lbs 39.5 chest 33.5 waist
What I want
43" chest 31 waist (with a six pack)
Any further suggestions?
Forget the six pack for the next several months, eat a lot, lift heavy, and you will grow. Then you can chase teh abz.

Barney Stinson

Reaction score
11lb body weight in 7 weeks is nothing. He could probably drop get to that in a week or 2 because he's inevitably storing **** loads of water, which he'll piss out right away.

Not just water but also fat and thats harder I think... 1kg per week is a good number and well imo.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:lol: Didnt even read that far. I loled at do 100 pushups every day and starvation mode. Good old magazine science.

Last edited:

TonyHuynhTwo

Reaction score
I apologize for being lean. I box in the late spring to august, I'm at my fighting weight right now of 145 lb's. If I fought at my normal weight I would get demolished. Most of the time I'm 160 at around six percent body fat. I suppose since you don't like cardio you never played any sports, and hence never had to make weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads