• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gents, can you recommend a pair of black monk strapped shoes under $400

CanGren

Reaction score
I saw a Magnanni section in a department store while in Berlin...definitely not as robust as the other brands mentioned earlier. Depends how often you'll wear them for it to matter though.

shadesofbeige

Reaction score

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can always cut off the grosgrain at the back.

... and replace the metal heel too before you fall and bust something, unless you walk solely on asphalt. I got a pair of Grenson boots once that had a heel exactly like that and it was like walking on ice whenever I was indoors. I wore them once and sent them over to B Nelson to have it replaced with rubber. (They did a fantastic job BTW.)

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Neumora - although they aren't all that narrow. I ended up returning mine because they were wider than any D I've ever owned - so consider that.

quaker13

Reaction score
can anyone else recommend some black double monk straps on ebay in a size 12, i lost my auction??

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the look of Magnannis, just buy 'em, it's not like they are hard to find:
http://www.lastcall.com/p/Magnanni-...stid%3D7707&eItemId=prod13750002&cmCat=search

They aren't the quality of some of the other brands recommended, but should be pretty good for $200. I'm not positive but I think Magnannis are blake stitched. (Only goes up to 11.5 online, but I'm sure you could call a store and find 'em.)

Last edited:

quaker13

Reaction score
If you like the look of Magnannis, just buy 'em, it's not like they are hard to find:
http://www.lastcall.com/p/Magnanni-...stid%3D7707&eItemId=prod13750002&cmCat=search

They aren't the quality of some of the other brands recommended, but should be pretty good for $200. I'm not positive but I think Magnannis are blake stitched. (Only goes up to 11.5 online, but I'm sure you could call a store and find 'em.)

Awesome thanks. Is getting a size 11.5 as a size 12 gonna be suicide

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome thanks. Is getting a size 11.5 as a size 12 gonna be suicide

I dunno, I've never owned that brand. They are widely available at NM Last Call, Saks Off Fifth, and other outlets so they shouldn't be too hard to find though.

kranglefant

Reaction score
Hi, Any experience with how these BBBF double monks fit? Do they fit true-to-size? The measurements of the US 11D are 13" (outer sole) and 4 5/8 width - same as a pair of size 11.5 (US 12.5) Tod's shoes I own. Trying to convince myself that the BBBF's will fit, can you help? :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics