• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gee! And here we thought you were...kind of...grown-up, capable of entertaining yourselves without throwing a temper tantrum when you weren't getting enough attention.
You know...starting and having separate conversations with other people, ignoring conversations you weren't interested in, blowing your own noses and taking care of "big business" without having someone to hold your hand or tell you when to wipe.

You are right (honestly), that is true really and is very simple. I still think that when people get too detailed and technical into the construction of things the fun is spoiled, specially if one don't understand well and don't put things in perspective or don't have access to the best of the best. It happened to me when I was into audiophile stuff ( I'm still are but I'm normal now I think), I read and learned about everything, even the construction of the tweeters, weight of equipment, width of the plates, noise of the cd tray, construction of cables and so on. I was not enjoying the music anymore.

Regards

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You are right (honestly), that is true really and is very simple. I still think that when people get too detailed and technical into the construction of things the fun is spoiled, specially if one don't understand well and don't put things in perspective or don't have access to the best of the best. It happened to me when I was into audiophile stuff ( I'm still are but I'm normal now I think), I read and learned about everything, even the construction of the tweeters, weight of equipment, width of the plates, noise of the cd tray, construction of cables and so on. I was not enjoying the music anymore.
Regards

But you still carry some of it with you--the audiophile knowledge--don't you? And you or someone you regard kindly will benefit from your knowledge somewhere down the line. And you'ld be poorer for never having made that journey.

Over forty years of trying to master a difficult and complex Trade (an old Navy electronics wizard ...built his own TV from scratch...once told me he thought shoemaking was more complicated than his work) I have found that we learn in jumps and starts. We learn well for a while and then we plateau. It doesn't do to push too hard at that point.

Despite tiffs like this...which, unlike so many others here, never degenerated to adolescent name calling and profanity and everything but rabid, frenzied snarling and inarticulate grunts (sometimes that too)...we all tend to forget that we are not the stars of this movie and that there are other people here. People who may be interested in the technical stuff. May not know any of it. Who are just at the beginning of their journey and who are interested.

The devil is, however, in the details...both in a good way and a bad way. And it's the details that will kill you.

PS...sorry to make this longer...but someone once told me "we're all just serving time." You can sit in your cell and masturbate...doesn't take much thought or energy...or you can immerse yourself in something worthwhile. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ fair enough, despite what I have said, I've learned a lot from your posts (and Bengal's) over the last few years. Thanks for that

Cheers

iyorito

Reaction score

exactly but how does this affect the fit, when it's not arresting? buyer already claimed that he's looking for a solution on this, not?
no need to. they're looking for a good fit in the first place. this is not rocket science...
i wanna see this, as everyone or at least me tries to prevent creasing due to a good fit(see above).
i encourage you to work it out with mr. parker as he seems to love your shoes and deserves an excellent service, imo.

We can take out the crease without affecting the fit. If it is a bespoke pair, we could even improve the fit in this
process.

I don't know what the Austrian shoemakers look for. Fit, style or what have you. I don't even know how they make
shoes there. But we have many customers in Japan who tried reknowned Austiran shoe maker Mxxxxxa and every
single one of them are not happy with the FIT of Mxxxxxa shoes. Mxxxxxa used to come to Japan to take bespoke/MTO
orders. I think it was back in 2002 or something. Only after a couple of trips, they stopped coming since they could
not fit the customers in Japan. I heard this from the agent who handled Mxxxxxa back then. This history tells me that
this particular shoemaker in Austria, G. Mxxxxxa is not good at all in the FIT arena.

I had started marketing Edward Green Bespoke in Japan from 2003 through 2006 and then G&G from 2006 up to now.
I admit we are not perfect and have some fit issues once in a while. However, we still have a very strong demand in
Japan and keep going back there to take bespoke/MTO orders. As much as you hate us and our shoes to death, we
must be doing something right where G. Mxxxxxa spectacularly failed, don't you think?

May be Mxxxxxa don't know how to fit Japanese people's feet, I don't know. But Japanese people aren't martians
or anything and experienced shoemakers should be able to fit them relatively well. No rocket science either.

We will take a good care of mr. parker.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drool.gif
now we are talking.

IMO some G&G shoes are out of balance. And this is a good example of that.

claes500

Reaction score

I have been away in NYC for a week but did not pick up any G&Gs (leffot had nothing in my size :( but I picked up my first pair of JLPs though!)

With some resemblance of spring in Sthlm I figured I would try to make some justice to the racing green and try to get some sunlight on them!

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been away in NYC for a week but did not pick up any G&Gs (leffot had nothing in my size
frown.gif
but I picked up my first pair of JLPs though!)
With some resemblance of spring in Sthlm I figured I would try to make some justice to the racing green and try to get some sunlight on them!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been away in NYC for a week but did not pick up any G&Gs (leffot had nothing in my size :( but I picked up my first pair of JLPs though!)

They are beautiful. Adventurous but classic. Exactly what I like in a G&G.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads