• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chicago Guy
Will do - thanks for the tip.

Anyone have any opinions on Kiehl's Original Musk? My wife recently purchased the shower gel for me and I'm still unsure of it. Maybe it's my relative infamiliarity with musks, or just that I find it so....different, for lack of a better word.

It IS different. It's a very classic musk, but very animalic (which is how a musk is supposed to be). It's just that recently our noses have been taught to equate "good" smells with "clean" smells. BUT, the Kiehl's is an older-feeling scent.

Try some of the old-time 19th century scents... they stunk! (in a good way).

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
Yes, someone posted earlier that Blenheim Boquet was one of their favorites. I find this to be a wonderful "old-time" scent! It's citrusy, so it certainly can't be compared to Kiehl's Original Musk, but it's still an old, good scent.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, someone posted earlier that Blenheim Boquet was one of their favorites. I find this to be a wonderful "old-time" scent! It's citrusy, so it certainly can't be compared to Kiehl's Original Musk, but it's still an old, good scent.

If you want a more modern take on a good musk, I have two that I'd recommend:

1) Helmut Lang EdC or EdP: Softer and less animalic than Kiel's, but still "funky."
2) Keiko Mecheri Musc: VERY dry, light, clean musk.

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk is another GREAT one, but it's got more woods and various things in it and so I find it less overtly musky.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Current Top Ten Fragrances are:

1.) Serge Luten's CUIR MAURESQUE
2.) Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower
3.) Oliver Creed's FEUILLE VERTE
4.) Lubin's IDOLE
5.) Montale's BLACK AOUD
6.) Caron's 3rd HOMME
7.) Czech&Speake 88
8.) Maitre Parfumer
et Garnier PARFUM D' HABIT
9.) Christian Dior's BOIS D' ARGENT
10) Norma Kamali's INCENSE Layered with Andy Tauer's L'AIR DU DESERT MAROCAIN

There's so much more but this is my current top ten!

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I have a new "go to" for my fragrance questions. Thanks for all of the tips!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't done up a top 10 in like forever. Mind you, this is a seasonal list, consisting of what I'm wearing these days.

Here goes:

Chanel Antaeus
Tom Ford Amber Absolute
Caron Yatagan
Chanel Pour Monsieur
Giorgio for Men
Caron Pour Un Homme
John Varvatos
But's Bees Bay Rum
Hermes Bel Ami
Ormonde Man

unko

Reaction score
Here are mine, in no particular order:

Vetiver Oriental - Serge Lutens
Iris Silver Mist - Serge Lutens
Black - Bulgari
Isfarkand - Ormonde Jayne
Vetiver - Guerlain
Pour Monsieur EDT - Chanel
Egoiste - Chanel
Eau de Campagne - Sisley
Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
Tabac Blond - Caron

Of course, subject to change without notice...

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Creed OV is being mentioned here. I have this and wouldn't consider it a "popular" scent by Creed (e.g. GIT, SMW, Himalaya, etc.). I have to admit I've never tried/smelled Guerlain's Vetiver, so I can't comment on it, however, I can tell you that I love Creed's OV. A very fresh and "soapy" scent that is great for everyday wear, especially in the summer. Some people complain that it doesn't last long on the skin, but I haven't had any issues with that.

The price is what ruined Creed OV for me,
I'm watching out for a deal on it.

There is something about OV and Mugler that I just love,
but they disappear so quickly on me it feels pointless sometimes.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put this here as I didn't think it justified a new thread: Gimme your three fragrance recs to compliment my current Bnotes 'drobe - I like Hermessence Poivre Samarcande.. past that, I haven't found anything particularly interesting as of late, though admittedly I haven't really looked. I'm about to sell of a few of what I have and would like to replace them because I'm a consumer whore. http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/8358 rach, I expect a dissertation.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Put this here as I didn't think it justified a new thread: Gimme your three fragrance recs to compliment my current Bnotes 'drobe - I like Hermessence Poivre Samarcande.. past that, I haven't found anything particularly interesting as of late, though admittedly I haven't really looked. I'm about to sell of a few of what I have and would like to replace them because I'm a consumer whore. http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/8358 rach, I expect a dissertation.
Okay, here goes: 1. Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive: It's created by Maurice Roucel, of whom you have a few in your wardrobe (Musc ravageur). As well, it's very clean, crisp, but deep... with a pepper note (which might connect to your liking of Poivre/pepper). 2. Tom Ford White Patchouli: I'm recommending this one to everybody now. If you like deepier, patchouli scents with an interesting rose/floral note... you'll love it. It seems like it would blend with what you have now and give you something a little unexpected. Number 3, I can't decide. You should try the following and pick from them:
smile.gif
3. L'artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha: Beautiful incense, smokey, smell-like-a-Tibetan-Monastery scent... mountains and all. 3B. Lubin Idole: Boozy, dark, deep, rich, quite wonderful. And, for the consumer/packaging whore in you... one of the best bottle designs ever. 3C. A Montale Aoud. It seems your collection is missing one of these; if you want something a little fresher, Aoud Limes. Something deep/dark, Aoud Black. A good overall mix, Aoud White. Aoud Red is good, too, though I never had a full bottle of that one. 3D. L'artisan Parfumeur Mechant Loup: Sweet, but woody... not quite as dangerous as the name suggests ("big bad wolf") but a very easy to wear, but not "boring" masculine scent. 3E. Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir: Pomegranate note, but not girlish or sweet. Amazingly dark and kinda brooding. If you want a straight-up pepper scent that will change your perception of pepper (and be different from the Poivre Samarcande), try L'artisan Parfumeur Poivre Piquant. It's pepper... and milk & honey. Very unique... not wearable in all situations or weathers... but nice.

chang

Reaction score
My wife also purchased the shower gel for me recently, and when we last stopped in the Kiehl's store, I purchased the Original Musk fragrance. She later told me that had I not purchased it, she would have bought it for me. She says out of all my fragrances, that this is her favorite so far. I like some of the older smelling scents. Truefitt and Hill Spanish Leather is another favorite of mine. I think perhaps the scent will grow on you.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Put this here as I didn't think it justified a new thread:

Gimme your three fragrance recs to compliment my current Bnotes 'drobe -

I like Hermessence Poivre Samarcande.. past that, I haven't found anything particularly interesting as of late, though admittedly I haven't really looked. I'm about to sell of a few of what I have and would like to replace them because I'm a consumer whore.

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/8358

rach, I expect a dissertation.

Top three for kronik???

If you're going with what you already know and seem to like...

Isfarkand
Ormonde Man
Hermes Un Jardin Apres Le Mousson.

If you're branching out...

Chanel Pour Monsieur
Tom Ford Amber Absolute.
Surge Lutens Arabie
Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chang
My wife also purchased the shower gel for me recently, and when we last stopped in the Kiehl's store, I purchased the Original Musk fragrance. She later told me that had I not purchased it, she would have bought it for me. She says out of all my fragrances, that this is her favorite so far. I like some of the older smelling scents. Truefitt and Hill Spanish Leather is another favorite of mine. I think perhaps the scent will grow on you.

It's growing on me more and more every day. It's a little 'in your face' when it first hits the skin, but I'm really starting to enjoy the subtleties once it dries. I'm in agreement with you - I love 'older' scents. I used to only use Truefitt & Hill shaving products. 1805 was my go to scent. I now use Art of Shaving's lavender scent as it's better for my skin type. I tend to stay away from the newer clean, marine scents (e.g. Aqua di Gio). That may be a bad example since it can probably be considered to be the Drakkar of the '90s and '00s. Having said that, I do really like Creed's Erolfa.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1 on the Erolfa. It's about the only "marine" scent I really like/ wear regularly (like you, I like them to be less "clean" and more pronounced). Nevertheless, the hint of brine in the Erolfa keeps it from feeling to detergent-clean.

Anyway, if you tend to like those kind of "older" scents and like the Truefitt & Hill, you might join Dopey and I as fans of Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur. It's very classic... and kinda funky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads