• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Okay, here goes:

1. Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive: It's created by Maurice Roucel, of whom you have a few in your wardrobe (Musc ravageur). As well, it's very clean, crisp, but deep... with a pepper note (which might connect to your liking of Poivre/pepper).

2. Tom Ford White Patchouli: I'm recommending this one to everybody now. If you like deepier, patchouli scents with an interesting rose/floral note... you'll love it. It seems like it would blend with what you have now and give you something a little unexpected.

Number 3, I can't decide. You should try the following and pick from them:
smile.gif

3. L'artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha: Beautiful incense, smokey, smell-like-a-Tibetan-Monastery scent... mountains and all.

3B. Lubin Idole: Boozy, dark, deep, rich, quite wonderful. And, for the consumer/packaging whore in you... one of the best bottle designs ever.

3C. A Montale Aoud. It seems your collection is missing one of these; if you want something a little fresher, Aoud Limes. Something deep/dark, Aoud Black. A good overall mix, Aoud White. Aoud Red is good, too, though I never had a full bottle of that one.

3D. L'artisan Parfumeur Mechant Loup: Sweet, but woody... not quite as dangerous as the name suggests ("big bad wolf") but a very easy to wear, but not "boring" masculine scent.

3E. Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir: Pomegranate note, but not girlish or sweet. Amazingly dark and kinda brooding.

If you want a straight-up pepper scent that will change your perception of pepper (and be different from the Poivre Samarcande), try L'artisan Parfumeur Poivre Piquant. It's pepper... and milk & honey. Very unique... not wearable in all situations or weathers... but nice.

Nice list! I'll have to try White Patchouli by Ford. I dont think I have smelled that one. Have you tried Dans Tes Bras by Maurice Roucel for Frederic Malle? I went to Barney's yesterday and sprayed lightly on top of my hand. I actually like it, but I'm drawn to woody orientals these days.

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
+1 on the Erolfa. It's about the only "marine" scent I really like/ wear regularly (like you, I like them to be less "clean" and more pronounced). Nevertheless, the hint of brine in the Erolfa keeps it from feeling to detergent-clean. Anyway, if you tend to like those kind of "older" scents and like the Truefitt & Hill, you might join Dopey and I as fans of Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur. It's very classic... and kinda funky.
After looking at this some more (i.e. MdM), I'm wondering if it's similar to Richard James. Some of the top and base notes seem to be very similar. See link: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122845.html Are you familiar with this? This is one of my favorites, however, it's a powerful one! More appropriate for a night out rather than for every day use.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's VERY different from Richard James; the RJ is very suede-like, smooth, and warm. The Mouchoir is much more "French," much less "friendly" and subtle. As well, the Mouchoir has civet in it, which gives it a kick and funk that the RJ lacks. I also think the MdM is fresher/crisper than the RJ, but it's not a clean, detergent, freshly showered crispness. It's more... shall we say... eau naturale. The basenotes pyramid is a little off with Mouchoir... it doesn't even list civet in the notes... but it's there.
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Nice list! I'll have to try White Patchouli by Ford. I dont think I have smelled that one. Have you tried Dans Tes Bras by Maurice Roucel for Frederic Malle? I went to Barney's yesterday and sprayed lightly on top of my hand. I actually like it, but I'm drawn to woody orientals these days.
You know, Ren, it's hard for me to find a Roucel that I DON'T like. For a long time, I didn't even know who he was, but then when I saw his name and found the scents he had done... it turned out that many of my favorites were done by him (including HL EdC and EdP). I have yet to try Dans Tes bras, but I look forward to giving it a sniff when I can.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs, rach.

Yes, I was looking into 24 Faubourg for my girl (I liked it but haven't smelled it on her yet). I've very fond of Roucel's offerings.

Out of your list, the ones which most piqued my interest are : Tom Ford White Patchouli, White Aoud, Idole by Lubin. When coupled with Poivre Samarcande and Guerlain vintage Vetiver, I do believe that will nicely compliment the current wardrobe, of which I plan on offloading 3-4 frags. No one else?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Thanks for the recs, rach. Yes, I was looking into 24 Faubourg for my girl (I liked it but haven't smelled it on her yet). I've very fond of Roucel's offerings. Out of your list, the ones which most piqued my interest are : Tom Ford White Patchouli, White Aoud, Idole by Lubin. When coupled with Poivre Samarcande and Guerlain vintage Vetiver, I do believe that will nicely compliment the current wardrobe, of which I plan on offloading 3-4 frags. No one else?
Which 3-4 do you plan to offload???? Inquiring minds (and wallets) want to know.
smile.gif
If I had to choose just ONE of those you mentioned, probably Idole would get it. White Patchouli is easy to find at Saks, neimans, and the like, so you should definitely sample/sniff it... but the Idole is really a neat one for wintertime.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably Paul Smith, Purple Label, and a bottle of SMW.

How would you compare Le Labo Patchouli 24 and Tom Ford's White Patchouli?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs, rach.

Yes, I was looking into 24 Faubourg for my girl (I liked it but haven't smelled it on her yet). I've very fond of Roucel's offerings.

Out of your list, the ones which most piqued my interest are : Tom Ford White Patchouli, White Aoud, Idole by Lubin. When coupled with Poivre Samarcande and Guerlain vintage Vetiver, I do believe that will nicely compliment the current wardrobe, of which I plan on offloading 3-4 frags. No one else?

What, my list too pedestrian for your tastes?
smile.gif

Seriously though, Isfarkand and Ormonde Man are really good, but require multiple wearings before you pull the trigger. I just heard a rave on Zizan as well from this house but have not tried it myself. I got samples from Ormonde Jayne via web site / e-mail.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really don't like Ormonde Man. I have a decant but I can't get past one of the notes in there - I think it's the hemlock. I've given it several tries but I finally gave up.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably Paul Smith, Purple Label, and a bottle of SMW. How would you compare Le Labo Patchouli 24 and Tom Ford's White Patchouli?
Totally opposite spectrums of "patchouli" frags. In fact, I get very little patchouli in the Le Labo; instead, it's a lot of smokey birch tar. The Ford has an easily pronounced patchouli, though with rose and some spice and florals (hence, the "white" part... it's not as dark as other patchouli, but it's hardly light or fleeting). It's really a nice blend, I think... it's got kick, class, but is also wearable and not "dirty." The Le Labo is a different animal... both are nice in their own way and you could easily have both in your wardrobe without feeling the overlap much. If you wanted something cheaply available online with a neat spicey patchouli note, Givenchy Gentleman is a good one, too.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
What, my list too pedestrian for your tastes?
smile.gif
Seriously though, Isfarkand and Ormonde Man are really good, but require multiple wearings before you pull the trigger. I just heard a rave on Zizan as well from this house but have not tried it myself. I got samples from Ormonde Jayne via web site / e-mail.

Actually, I was interested in Isfarkand but I forgot to mention it in my post. You not only did not organize yours with pretty bold like rach, but you did not offer verbose descriptions. Whose fault is that Thomas? It's your fault, that's whose. Thanks.
wink.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I really don't like Ormonde Man. I have a decant but I can't get past one of the notes in there - I think it's the hemlock. I've given it several tries but I finally gave up.

For some reason I didn't care much at initial wearing but it grew on me, and I can't really identify why. Isfarkand I liked at first, then I liked OM better, and Isfarkand is now back in favor after realizing that Linda Pilkington took PdN Baladin and gave it some backbone and flair.

Now that I think of it, that's two scents she's added oomph to:

Bel Ami + exotic oomph = Ormonde Man
Baladin + structural oomph = Isfarkand

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, I was interested in Isfarkand but I forgot to mention it in my post. You not only did not organize yours with pretty bold like rach, but you did not offer verbose descriptions. Whose fault is that Thomas? It's your fault, that's whose.

Thanks.
wink.gif

Well, then, pardon me while I go set myself of fire for failing to please kronik.
wink.gif

ACTUALLY...you explicitly expected a dissertation from Rach, the rest of us had no standard to live up to, so you kinda sorta got what you asked for. So there. I'll put the matches down now.

Top three for Kronik:

Isfarkand - a fresh herbal-peppery scent with surprising depth and balance. When herbal-peppery scents smile, it's a sort of wan driver's-license-photo-smile. In other words, it's thin and weak. Estee Lauder Azuree is a belly laugh, but probably a bit more femme and a LOT louder than you'd like. Isfarkand is a happy middle ground - sufficiently manly (but the missus may yoink it once in a while) and happy enough to keep around for the long haul.

Tom Ford Amber Absolute - It says a lot that I like this one despite the price tag, but there it is. I love this one - it's a spicy smoky incensy amber, stronger and more durable than the rest of the bunch.

Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain - This one too I love despite the price tag. Spicy-dry cedar scent that never gets old for me.

As a fourth, I might recommend Chanel Pour Monsieur - a classic, and if it reminds you of Obsession at first, give it time - you'll quickly discern the difference.

oxide

Reaction score
D&G Masculine

Also used by Justin Timberlake, its NOT why i got it, but it was worth a smell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads