• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo goes skiing. Sartorial disaster?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

I honestly don't remember. I haven't used those skis since that 1999 trip and they're currently in the storage shed at my house in Arizona.

Could be Marker's but I'm not sure.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You need a backpack foo...and a shovel.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pink and black, respectively.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you think you're going to suck at doing something, you might as well have fun dressing up for it.

Quoted for emphasis.

Is this why I dress up every day before going to work?

Maybe it is why I trim the hedges before the sax.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Pink and black, respectively.

That wouldn't match at all. I'm thinking of dark navy for the backpack and an oak-handled shovel with a marigold blade.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I honestly don't remember. I haven't used those skis since that 1999 trip and they're currently in the storage shed at my house in Arizona.
Could be Marker's but I'm not sure.

hah, that was my guess.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Californians and Texans make up probably more than half of the tourist revenue and property taxes in Colorado :)
Don't agree on the cotton thing. I'm most comfy in a cotton waffle-knit. Poly/synthetics doesnt feel any better.
Warmth is a personal thing. I hope as an easterner he's got some cold tolerance. As a former Cali and Texan resident, my get up was long sleeve base, fleece vest, and a standard shell. Kept me perfectly warm for the 2 seasons skiing Summit Co as a resident.
Ski socks and other "activity-specific" socks are quite superfluous. Any pair of wool socks will do....thickness dependant on one's footwear

Making fun of Californians and Texas is just reflex. Don't take it personally. :D

Cotton has no place in active outdoor activities, it's a performance thing, not a feel thing. Cotton does not breath that well, gets wet, stays wet and will not keep you warm at that point. Fleece and wool are much better. If you are not sweating, then cotton is great.

I say get ski socks because I'm not imagining he has decent wool socks for skiing. I can see his knee high argyles now. Also you don't want too thick of a sock, which many wool outdoor socks are.

Although for what :foo: is going to likely be doing, non of this matters. You can drink cocoa in anything.

BTW, have you though of your hottub attire? Try Strawberry Park H.S. by Steamboat if you want to make a day trip ;)

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

hah, that was my guess.

Damn - good eye.

Not to hijack Foo's thread. but since my bindings are from 1999, would it be worth moving them to new skis if I buy some in the next year or so? Or have bindings advanced enough in the last decade that it would be smarter just to buy all new equipment?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just can't bring myself to spend more money. Do I really need a technical base layer and mid layer? Would just a base layer suffice?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Would you agree that a wide, arcing, uncontrolled turn on the slope is most likely to take out the greatest number of other skiers?

i concur with this strategy. don't buy into the straight downhill theory.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I refuse to believe people simply don't care what they wear skiing. There are way too many aesthetic options and price levels. Clearly people put a lot of effort into it.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just can't bring myself to spend more money. Do I really need a technical base layer and mid layer? Would just a base layer suffice?

Depends of the weather. If it's cold and/or windy you will freeze with just a base layer and shell. Perhaps if you had a proper parka, but you have no real insulating layer in what you have described. At a bare minimum get a fleece vest, STP has them for like $10.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Damn - good eye.
Not to hijack Foo's thread. but since my bindings are from 1999, would it be worth moving them to new skis if I buy some in the next year or so? Or have bindings advanced enough in the last decade that it would be smarter just to buy all new equipment?

no worries. certainly, they have developed. imo, it depends on your weight and i assume, you're an athletic guy, so this is not a concern.

i'm not sure, if they fit on the new skis and the service people have the right equipment to deal with them.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I refuse to believe people simply don't care what they wear skiing. There are way too many aesthetic options and price levels. Clearly people put a lot of effort into it.

People care. It's like pocket squares. You want to be coordinated and at the same time look like you are not trying to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads