• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo goes skiing. Sartorial disaster?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn - good eye.
Not to hijack Foo's thread. but since my bindings are from 1999, would it be worth moving them to new skis if I buy some in the next year or so? Or have bindings advanced enough in the last decade that it would be smarter just to buy all new equipment?

I would not trust 14 year old bindings that have sat in a garage for that long. Knee surgery is too expensive. Trust me on that. Plus some of the new integrated stuff looks pretty interesting.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

no worries. certainly, they have developed. imo, it depends on your weight and i assume, you're an athletic guy, so this is not a concern.
i'm not sure, if they fit on the new skis and the service people have the right equipment to deal with them.

I would not trust 14 year old bindings that have sat in a garage for that long. Knee surgery is too expensive. Trust me on that. Plus some of the new integrated stuff looks pretty interesting.

I'm athletic but cbbuff makes a good point about sitting in the shed - especially through that many Arizona summers. My mother-in-law had several knee surgeries and finally had both knees replaced a few years back by Dr. Steadman in Vail - I don't want to go through that.

I'm going to tell my wife to give the skis to the Junior League rummage sale in February.

I know a guy on the board of Hart Ski Company - maybe he can hook me up with a good deal :)

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did not ski for the first time until age 45. Spent 3 days in ski school at Beaver Creek, at which time they said, "OK, forget all that snowplow stuff, point your skis downhill." Tried it. Nearly died. Got to the bottom of the hill and never went back.

I am an accomplished lodge bunny however.

Oh, and I look good.

I am going to Taos with some buddies in March. Probably will not ski, but might try it a day or two. I will certainly drink cognac and hit on the wiminz.

Last edited:

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No. Unless is 40 degrees and the sun is out, which is very possible. If its 10 and windy you won't be outside for 10 minutes.

Your jacket is just a shell(or softshell), correct? You have no insulating layers. You want at least 3 layers. A base (the one you have is a solid choice), an insulating layer and a shell. The base wicks moisture and keep you dry (and therefore warm), the outer layer stops the wind. Right now you have nothing in between. If you wanted to drop the mid layer, you would want to get a parka, such as this.

If you keep the base and shell, this vest would work for you as long as it does not get too cold, in which case you will want the jacket version of this.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

i concur with this strategy. don't buy into the straight downhill theory.

I also think that Foof should make sure that the tips on the pole are honed to a needle point.

This will make a clean through-and-through into the other skiers more likely when he dumps.

There is bound to be a higher percentage of small children on his slope than the others, so I think this is important to take steps to minimize bloodshed for humanitarian reasons.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I also think that Foof should make sure that the tips on the pole are honed to a needle point.
This will make a clean through-and-through into the other skiers more likely when he dumps.
There is bound to be a higher percentage of small children on his slope than the others, so I think this is important to take steps to minimize bloodshed for humanitarian reasons.

well, we call this the idiots hill. it should work.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
The heck with the GOP debate, this thread has me in the mood to watch Hot Tub Time Machine or Hot Dog - The Movie tonight!

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a skier and a mafoofan fan, I look forward to the One Goggle thread to come.

Edit: Damn autocorrect. Google --> Goggle

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics