• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

feeling a little emasculated

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
If you find Rib-Eye too *****, as many do, then Strip should be your choice. It's the other end of the Porterhouse and is basically the bridge between the Rib-Eye and the Fillet. Not as much fat as the Rib, more fat than the Fillet. Plus, no fat piling up on your plate.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cut depends on personal preference, mood and appetite. When choosing a cut you are basically looking at texture and taste.

The ribeye is considered a "man's" cut because it's usually bigger. It contains fat (marbling) that should pretty much disintegrate when cooked (no more than medium), making it nice and tender and juicy. It has a nice combination of taste and texture. No sauce usually but it is done.

Filets have little flavor and when done right (on the rare side) should pretty much melt in your mouth...no sauce (ever!) or knife required (if it's a good one). NY strip on the other hand, is not as tender as the filet but has more flavor. They are usually cooked medium to medium/well and some add a little A-1 or other steak sauce.

The T-bone is NY strip on one side and filet on the other making it the best of both worlds (and is usually my choice done medium/well).

A really good piece of meat should be dry-aged. Most of the bigger steakhouses wet-age their meats but better ones like Smith & Wol will dry-age.

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
Filets have little flavor and when done right (on the rare side) should pretty much melt in your mouth...no sauce (ever!) or knife required (if it's a good one)
I have yet to see anyone eat a Filet with a fork only. Or a spoon for that matter.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, all this talk reminds me of the NY strip steak I had at Smiths and Wollenskys. Yummmm.
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Do people still serve filet mignon w/ Bernaise sauce?
confused.gif

I do.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
If you don't like fat, then you'd love the 18oz bone in filet mignon at queue de cheval. It's rare that they have it, but it's great. Only $60...

Heh, you really like that place eh? 18oz is huge.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Heh, you really like that place eh? 18 inches is huge.

OK, now we are just getting too much info.

Bearnaise sauce is pretty good, but steak with a little butter is so much better.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Bearnaise sauce is pretty good, but steak with a little butter is so much better.

Steak with butter is heaven.

The 18 inch comment was such an easy layup that I figured I'd just let it be.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Just because you give me good info doesn't give you the right to mis-quote me!

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Filet is my choice. I like a steak where when I'm done there's nothing left of it. Ribeye is good too, but comes in after a good 11oz filet.

My choice as well, although I usually go for the 7 oz....love a good bernaise, but also butter. Steak au poivre is nice too.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Do people still serve filet mignon w/ Bernaise sauce?
confused.gif

Don't get saucy with me Bernaise!

t-bone for me.

Kobe is fascinating. They brought it out, and it was completely marbled. Almost like bacon. A few minutes on the grill and the fat was gone and the taste was heavenly. Definitely save up and try it some time.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Don't get saucy with me Bernaise!

t-bone for me.

Kobe is fascinating. They brought it out, and it was completely marbled. Almost like bacon. A few minutes on the grill and the fat was gone and the taste was heavenly. Definitely save up and try it some time.

I definitely will. I usually avoid steak at restaurants but maybe it's time.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elexzar