• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite soap?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Which Dial is scentless? I like the regular orange Dial because it smells, um, antiseptic. It's available in liquid form. After I kill this gigantic family-sized Softsoap 55-gallon drum I'll buy some Dial from Costco.

Seriously, no one else thinks a liquid soap dispenser looks way better than a messy soap tray?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes
baxter of california vitamen E/D/A italian-lime gylcerin bars

they are absolutely the best in the shower for face and body, lathers well, smells fantastic, doesn't dry out the skin, inexpensive too ....

could you tell me ore about using this on your face? i'm still searching for a face cleanser to stick with. everything i've tried so far either dries out my skin, or doesn't foam up enough and feels difficult to rinse.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
could you tell me ore about using this on your face? i'm still searching for a face cleanser to stick with. everything i've tried so far either dries out my skin, or doesn't foam up enough and feels difficult to rinse.
Well, I don't know about the Baxter soap, but I use the Baxter facial wash and it is excellent. You can get it on their website. I have dry skin and it moisturizes/cleans extremely well. It does not foam up though, but since when was that a positive trait? It is not a shaving cream after all.

smile.gif

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most facial cleansers don't foam at all as they are totally devoid of soap
i too use the baxter facial wash which is a very mild gentle non-foaming cleanser but in the summer hot humid weather, i use korres sage fluid gel cleanser, which is mild without stripping, or menscience daily face wash, which is a gel, totally devoid of any scent etc. but can be stripping and overly drying on normal to dry skin - none of these foam and you just have to get used to spreading it over your face

if you have residue problems from a cleanser, you can use a toner to wipe off the residue

as for the baxter bars, i find they're great for the gym etc as i can use one bar for everything - they are gylcerin based, are soft and not the hard gylercin bars i've always encountered, they foam quite well for a gylcerin bar, fit nicely in a guy's palm (they're not overwhelming large) and i find no drying effects on my facial skin in using them - i find it rinses off well without any residue

they're inexpensive, $10.00 for three bars, and if they don't work out for your face, you can at least use them on your body so you won't waste your money

www.menessentials.com sells them as well as www.baxterofcalifornia.com

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Lever 2000 in the shower, Cetaphil for my face and Dial liquid soap when washing my hands at the sink.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Soap in the tray isn't messy if you keep it away from the stream/spray of water, and the tray has those grooves to elevate the bar.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes
as for the baxter bars, i find they're great for the gym etc as i can use one bar for everything - they are gylcerin based, are soft and not the hard gylercin bars i've always encountered, they foam quite well for a gylcerin bar, fit nicely in a guy's palm (they're not overwhelming large) and i find no drying effects on my facial skin in using them - i find it rinses off well without any residue

they're inexpensive, $10.00 for three bars, and if they don't work out for your face, you can at least use them on your body so you won't waste your money

www.menessentials.com sells them as well as www.baxterofcalifornia.com

thanks for the info. i'm using baxter face wash right now also, but i don't like it. it is difficult to rinse off and even then i'm not sure it's all gone. i may try the bar soaps.

X-It

Reaction score

The Body Shop

Hand Wash

Body Scrub

Soap

Foaming Bath

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Bars are just rather messy and unwieldy.

are you for real?

i enjoy this

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ivory.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Does anyone use Lush soap? I've been wanting to expand beyond my various oatmeal Trader Joe's soaps and whatever looks good at the CVS. They seem a bit gimmicky.

gimmicky & expensive, i really liked the honey one though, "honey i washed the kids" (?) it smelled awesome.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Claus Porto - Aguia
2hf2wcw.jpg
edit: I used Baxter for a while and, while I like it, Claus Porto is much, much better. I still use Baxter's face wash though.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Does anyone use Lush soap? I've been wanting to expand beyond my various oatmeal Trader Joe's soaps and whatever looks good at the CVS. They seem a bit gimmicky.

I like several of the Lush soaps. They are fun and "gourmand" in the sense that they really maximize the scent of the different ingredients, so that they smell more like natural materials than soap.

I agree with shellshock that Honey I Washed the Kids smells great; that is a really good one. Other ones I like are Figs and Leaves; Sea Vegetable; and Demon in the Dark. The first two smell like figs and seaweed, respectively, and both have good exfoliant properties; there are leaves in the first, and sea salt in the second. Demon in the Dark is an intense peppermint soap, very refreshing.

French triple-milled soaps are also awesome. There is one that comes in 300g blocks, no packaging, that I like to buy but I don't know the name of it. Available in several scents, all of which are very subtle. The soap lasts a long time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads