• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fathers - what do you do to instil "physical culture" on your kids?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
he's into bakugans now. google it and be prepared.

yeah, we have a few of those too. ugg.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we had a few and my a-hole mother bought 2 boxes from the korean toy store in her neighborhood. now we have 200. and about that many marvel figures. ditto star wars. gi joe, check. these spoiled little pricks have no idea how good they have it.

every toy they can imagine, a dad dumb enough to coach every sport.

Germanicus

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does your son know about all the different kinds of sports out there? There is so much a kid can do like sailing, playing cricket, lacrosse(which I like very much, but it's very uncommon in Germany), golf, rugby aso. Maybe you can find something you both enjoy. I'm only 22 but I've alsway wondered why everybody limits themselves to football, baseball and hockey as there is so much out there. Martial arts are something different, as I finde them very benefitting.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
seriously, sometimes I have to count to ten before I answer my son. he will start blabering about some ******* pokemon and I just want to yell "shut the **** up about those pokemons already! I don't care!" of course I dont, I smile and say "hey, I didn't know that"

You think you got it bad. Mine is into Pokemon in two different languages. I also happen to work near the "Pokemon Center" in Osaka (I have a feeling I just opened up a door to a future as a proxy buyer) so I get weekly requests to pick up something or another.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you know your son's teacher? I tried working with my son a little on his TKD, they really don't work on kids stances or mechanics very well, but I felt uncomfortable, I didn't want to undermine his teachers authority.

Yes, I know my son's teacher. He is an old hippie. He probably has a lot of wierd ideas about Asian philosophy and culture.

but I guess the big question to me is - my son knows that I go to the dojo a few times a week. I have hanging boxing gloves and armor drying around the house, but he really isn't interested in boxing. I work with him sometimes, for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time, and then his attention falls off. I don't know if it is his attention in general, or what. but he can talk about ******* pokemon for 3 hours. any idea why your son is interested in your martial art?
My son's attention falls off too, but that is not a concern for me. We can talk about science, or politics, or religion (he is very interested in religion.) I suppose that it helps that one of my brothers (a funny guy and also his honorary Godfather) is really interested in MMA as well, has recently started training, and that any time we get together, I am usually showing him some little tricks. My son really gets into it then. Also, I entertain by doing interesting martial arts tricks that you see in the movies. Remember that scene in "No Country for Old Men", where Javier Bardem slips his cuffs? I can do that.

Originally Posted by ken
That's cool. If I had some reward for physical activity as a kid, I probably would have been a better athlete and had a more competitive edge. Instead, I got rewarded for grades, so I'm an engineer. Yargh.

I'm an engineer too
smile.gif
(at least by training)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
You think you got it bad. Mine is into Pokemon in two different languages. I also happen to work near the "Pokemon Center" in Osaka (I have a feeling I just opened up a door to a future as a proxy buyer) so I get weekly requests to pick up something or another.

my son keeps talking about the "pokemon center" in japan, and I keep telling him that it doesn't really exist, that its just a fable.

(but, yeah, I may ask you to buy stuff - his big dream now is to have real japanese pokomon cards)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my son keeps talking about the "pokemon center" in japan, and I keep telling him that it doesn't really exist, that its just a fable.

(but, yeah, I may ask you to buy stuff - his big dream now is to have real japanese pokomon cards)

That is funny! And, yea, pm anytime. Easy to fulfill that big dream. I have a feeling our boys would get along well.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just tried to involve them in sporting activities, and make sure that I was involved as well. Helped in footy training, took them along to Little Athletics, etc. Neither kid is/was a jock, so it was more about getting them in the habit.

It all went pear-shaped when we emigrated to the USA. The change in routine was damaging, and the sporting culture there is very different. In Australia, everybody gets to play. In the USA, you have to qualify to be on the team. The kids got very disheartened, and lost interest.

They are adults now, and are fine. The older boy cycles everywhere to commute, and has quite a physical job, so he stays in shape. The younger one walks a lot, and he is a beanpole with a 32" waist, so no concerns there. Neither of them are athletes, but they were never going to be.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
That is funny! And, yea, pm anytime. Easy to fulfill that big dream. I have a feeling our boys would get along well.

thanks. I promised my son a trip to japan if he does well in judo, so you never know.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned all the standard sports as a kid and loved them--the physical challenges, the teamwork, the competition, all of it was great. My parents and grandparents also loved to walk and hike, and I think that the love of the outdoors they gave me is one of the greatest inheritances of all. Getting outside to enjoy and learn about nature is, for me, still one of the best forms of physical activity.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad still kicks ****** in tennis or basketball and he is nearing his mid 50s...
We always played baseball together, and basketball, he tried playing soccer with me, and lacrosse, and hockey...

Either way I definitely played lots of sports with my dad, and my friends when I was young, and still continue to play them now at age 23.

Hopefully when I am older my future kid(s) will want to play some sports too

JeffsWood

Reaction score
My little one in almost 4, but she works out with me all the time. She about 40 lbs, so I do all kinds of presses and curls with her. I know it doesn't sound like allot of weight, but when she laughing and moving around doing 30 or 40 shoulder presses with her does give me a burn.

The other thing we do is taking swimming classes together. After she done her class she jumps on my back and we swim laps for 20 minutes. I guess I also Jog with her when she rides her bike, and of course we play all sort of games like soccer or just "racing".

I wouldn't think to hard about, just get spend time with your kid. I find mine is so active that you can't help but get into some sort of exercise.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^haha. my kids love being military pressed. oldest is 9, 4'6 and 75 lbs so he's the only one that provides any burn.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
I learned all the standard sports as a kid and loved them--the physical challenges, the teamwork, the competition, all of it was great. My parents and grandparents also loved to walk and hike, and I think that the love of the outdoors they gave me is one of the greatest inheritances of all. Getting outside to enjoy and learn about nature is, for me, still one of the best forms of physical activity.

Maybe it is just my temperament, but I always like a challenge when I am doing outdoor activities. I used to do some mountain racing, which was fun, and I've always liked the tactical and strategic as well as physical challenges of summiting, but I get frustrated at my wife's desire to meander and "look at stuff."

^haha. my kids love being military pressed. oldest is 9, 4'6 and 75 lbs so he's the only one that provides any burn.

Press 2 at a time. You'l get to work on your balance as well.

JeffsWood

Reaction score

You know the story of the guy who lifted the bull? That what I am working on, by the time my daughter goes off to University I be as strong as the Kunk
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads