• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fake bags--does it matter?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After having a little fun with this posting a titty picture, let me tell you how I really feel.

As someone who has represented and licensed artists and designers for many years, I can tell you that fake bags or fake anything else is nothing short of ripping off the hard work and talent of others.

It is wrong, plain and simple. There is nothing right or ethical about it. You are not getting away with anything other than taking advantage of someone. Just because you "think" you look cool with a fake bag doesn't justify jack ****. It just tells the world that you are the fake.

Stop buying and supporting fake products and knock offs. It is stealing.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got a campus job, so i'll get a real one. i guess half of the fun is in having the satisfaction that you worked a whole year and ate nothing but ramen to earn the bag

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also to the OP... I'm not so sure saving up for a year and eating only ramen is going to make it really worth it. You might be setting yourself up for disappointment... they're really not that spectacular. I'd say get a cheaper bag and enjoy yourself a little bit.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being from NJ, seeing a whole hell of alot of middle class people walking around with LV bags and $10 shoes, i just kind of assume they're all fake, since honestly most of the people donning these bags really dont wear the rest of the clothes associated with someone who drops $1000+ on a handbag.

So if you decide to buy a knockoff, you may not get the prestige that you feel may be associated with it.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Jee, when I read "fake bags" I thought it was about these......

1140823273-gigantic_boobs_massive.jpg

MOAR!!!!!

jskidder

Reaction score
how about the fact that buying fake goods is illegal? or the fact that by spending your money on a fake bag you are basically supporting sweatshops/inhumane working conditions/child labor in third world countries?

basically because you are too cheap/poor to buy a designer bag and also too ignorant/proud to buy something basic within your means, someone's 5 year old daughter in a third world country is being forced to work long hours in an unsafe factory stitching ****** knock-off bags and probably getting beaten/raped in the back room. shame on you for saying you don't care about chinese sweatshop workers...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
After having a little fun with this posting a titty picture, let me tell you how I really feel.

As someone who has represented and licensed artists and designers for many years, I can tell you that fake bags or fake anything else is nothing short of ripping off the hard work and talent of others.

It is wrong, plain and simple. There is nothing right or ethical about it. You are not getting away with anything other than taking advantage of someone. Just because you "think" you look cool with a fake bag doesn't justify jack ****. It just tells the world that you are the fake.

Stop buying and supporting fake products and knock offs. It is stealing.

I sell items that are my own IP and I would be irate beyond belief if I found someone stealing it and trying to sell it as my work. Oh and yes the knock off market is an illegal market and if memory serves me right a consumer can be charged for trafficking if push comes to shove. Don't quote me on this since it's been a while since I had to deal with IP rights etc.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my career I've gotten a few fake items.

Here is the description:

Louis Vuitton belt: Holy **** this belt sucked. The buckle bent very very easily, pretty much every time it was worn. It had a smell of chemicals to it, and when I wore it it gave me rashes wherever the belt rubbed on my skin. I let my friend borrow it once, and he gave it back to me saying it also gave him a rash. I then threw it in the trashcan. I wore it once or twice total.

Burberry polo: Bought this on ebay thinking it was real. One of the worst made shirts I've ever seen in my life. Even Target or Wal-Mart brand polos feel better than this. I returned this to the seller.

Louis Vuitton wallet: Well.... it isn't even real leather. It doesn't feel or look like real leather, and is very obviously plastic. I paid, I think, $50 on ebay for it years back. If you compared it to any wallet at even $50, hell $20, and you'll see the real wallet, even if not designer, is better than the fake LV one. It ripped in mutiple spots, like where the cards slide in, and where the wallet bends to fold. Complete crap.

So in conclusion: Yes, it makes a HUGE difference in buying fake vs real designer goods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads