• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SeanMarcellus

Reaction score
I actually sleep in thermal long johns and shirts. I don't think they'll fit too well under my clothing though since my clothing is quite slim. With that said, I'll probably wear compression gear that I wear to work out! Lol.

In such cold temperatures, going into the negative zone, is it 'professional' to wear a beanie to work?

Check out the ECWCS Gen III silk weights made with poloartech, ones I have are Roth, can get them on ebay. These are the best I've tried, they are warmer than a wool or silk base layer and stop the wind. Also check out sock liners, they are paper thin and will make your feet warm all day they are only $5 for 2 pair and amazing. Our average winter get down to 10, though I've seen it get to -20, we are on a couple rivers and the breeze off the river in winter is frigid.

I think this with a pair of Epaulet Heavy Wool trousers would work really well.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow...Those WWII boots in cognac shell came out incredible!! Super jealous for those that snagged them

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow...Those WWII boots in cognac shell came out incredible!! Super jealous for those that snagged them

Definitely, but for me it's the hand-burnished scotch grain that's the stunner. That hand burnishing...!

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pre-ordered the hatch grain. I must admit, it appears like it turned out substantially lighter (and more orange) than I expected. I actually figured it would look like the scotch grain and that the scotch grain would look like it. Am I alone?

Oh well.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, there was a point where it was supposed to be a hatch grain WWII, no? I'm so confused. BUT, looking forward to some sweet boots nonetheless!

Last edited:

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now that it's the new year, please unleash the mto & ff shirts
nod[1].gif

Goodman

Reaction score
I just snagged my first Carmina! The last Sinclair Shortwing Boot Burgundy Shell Cordovan, which happened to be my size 10.5 us. Crossing my fingers and rubbing the Buddha belly that it's a good fit as I've
Never tried on Carmina before. I'm a solid 10.5 in Allen Edmond so I hope I'm good! These boots look amazing.

While not my first Carmina's these were my first pair of Cordovan boots. I got the 10's and they fit TTS so you should have no problem. You are going to love them and you can't beat the price.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I regret not getting in on that order. I couldn't justify ordering more than one boot and the scotch grain was just calling out to me. The cognac shell looks spectacular!

Definitely, but for me it's the hand-burnished scotch grain that's the stunner. That hand burnishing...!

I paid my balance last Sunday and was hoping they would ship on Tuesday but they were probably too busy. Maybe today. The pic that's now posted just increases the anticipation.

I pre-ordered the hatch grain. I must admit, it appears like it turned out substantially lighter (and more orange) than I expected. I actually figured it would look like the scotch grain and that the scotch grain would look like it. Am I alone?

Oh well.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, there was a point where it was supposed to be a hatch grain WWII, no? I'm so confused. BUT, looking forward to some sweet boots nonetheless!

I agree with you. The hatch grain example showed at the time of the order was more brown with no orange in it and the scotch grain were more of a burnished tan. EP did caution that the resulting boots might have a different shade. Initially, I was leaning towards the hatch grain but decided to go with the scotch grain. And you're right about the WWII. I thought both the hatch grain and the scotch grain were going to be WWII.

Regardless, I am certainly looking forward to receiving them.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet, as always, has quickly and pleasantly responded to my above concerns. Apparently I'm confused and a hatch grain WWII is still incoming and expected in the next month or so.

My mistake.

I do hope my hatch grain boot is darker brown however - more like the swatch we were shown.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does the Epaulet in Santa Monica have Carminas to get sized on? I'm keen to get in on these group MTOs but don't want to gamble on sizing.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Between the Veneto overcoat and the callenish, which of the two is warmer?

Hmmm, I'd say that they're about equally warm. Very different in style though. The Callenish is super old-school and can be completely dressed up. Harris Tweed is one of the warmest and most durable wools anywhere.

The Veneto has a more technical design with an insulated and water-resistant finish. It's more updated and Italian, and fits slimmer than the Callenish. If you dig the style of the Veneto, then I'd recommend that one. It's a really great jacket, and you'll be blown away by how nicely it's made. Items like the Callenish come out every year (and we can always MTO it for you at some point), but the Veneto is going to just be a one-shot deal.

Happy new year to the most stylish crew out there!

Hear, hear! Hope that you guys had a great New Years!

I just snagged my first Carmina! The last Sinclair Shortwing Boot Burgundy Shell Cordovan, which happened to be my size 10.5 us. Crossing my fingers and rubbing the Buddha belly that it's a good fit as I've
Never tried on Carmina before. I'm a solid 10.5 in Allen Edmond so I hope I'm good! These boots look amazing.

Thank you so much! You're going to love these. Carmina finishes shell cordovan so nicely.

Oh well.

Yup, the WWII Hatch Grains should be delivered shortly. Horween has been slow with the leather, but it should be coming through soon.

My apologies for the color variance. When we set up the order, I had to put in a disclaimer on that. With oily leathers like this and Chromexcel, the final color is always subject to a lot of variance. I'll see if we can have the upcoming units burnished to a darker finish. That said, you can expect that these will get darker on their own, just like a medium brown Chromexcel boot would. A bit of dark brown shoe cream or a thick conditioner like Sno-Seal will accelerate that process a bit too.

now that it's the new year, please unleash the mto & ff shirts 
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Haha, we're working on them! The Factory Finds options are absolutely bonkers this season. There's a ton of great choices.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does the Epaulet in Santa Monica have Carminas to get sized on? I'm keen to get in on these group MTOs but don't want to gamble on sizing.

We've got a pretty limited selection here, with just the Forest last (Fitzgerald) and the Rain last (Ellison) available in the most common sizes.

We get this question every week or so. My apologies, but our New York stores sell so many more shoes than the LA shop that it's just not realistic for me to keep very much inventory here. Proper shoes are much more of a connoisseur piece here in SoCal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads