• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress for a 'fine" dining experience in America

quid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
It all adds to the over-all aura I am interested in achieving; unfortunately, more and more an impossible dream..

so why dont you open your own place if it is so impossible to find the atmosphere you are looking for. though by turning away customers not dressed in a full suit and tie you will not be open long.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Comolli
And, of course, calling someone a name or being critical of a style of writing is no answer to an argument.

But it can win you a second term in the White House.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quid
so why dont you open your own place if it is so impossible to find the atmosphere you are looking for. though by turning away customers not dressed in a full suit and tie you will not be open long.

Right, but if I went conformist and demanded shorts, flip-flops, caps and tank tops, I might be a big success. Maybe Comolli is right about the decline.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Comolli
Thank you for your note. Hyperbole is a common tactic used in debate to emphasize a point. With the exception of Mr. Pollock and Nantucket Red, not a single person who has commented on my post to this discussion has offered a single fact, observation or principle which would advance the argument one way or another. It would seem that those of you who are "experienced participants in online communities" would know a bit about the Socratic method. Because you have hundreds of posts to this forum in no way means you have anything to say. And, of course, calling someone a name or being critical of a style of writing is no answer to an argument.

Ok, let me break it down for you. In your post defending Mr. Pollock, your calling him "The Great Pollock" in an attempt to give him an aura of importance is frankly patronizing. In the rest of your post, the gist of your argument is that women, by preferring and helping men choose a certain style of dress, "certainly started or furthered the decline of Western Civilization," is simply baseless that it deserves no counterargument. Your post offers nothing valuable that hasn't been said before, and its only contribution to the conversation is the new phrase "The Great Pollock," which is no more than stroking the bollock.

How is that for the Socratic method?

Comolli

Reaction score
Precisely as I said. Your note proves the point. To advance a Socratic discussion, you take the proposition offered by myself or Mr. Pollock, and you put forward a fact or principle which supports or opposes one point of view or another, that is, one side of the issue or the other. It was in this way that Plato thought we could reach the truth of the matter. However, offering an opinion or merely asserting that one is incorrect without supporting it with fact, as you have done, does not advance the argument. Also, you have misunderstood me if you think I support the argument of Mr. Pollock. I don't know if he is correct or not. I would think that the forum could bring forth facts and personal observations about human conduct which would support him or contradict him. In that way I would be able to reach an informed opinion. I am disappointed this has not occurred.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Like your friend Mr Springer, you do seem to like controversy as well as collecting freaks. Jerry has his incestuous trailer trash, you have ernest. It's really too bad he's not back on, except that recently he seemed to be going nuts with the polls. Can't you give him a job or something? Still, ernest knows what side his tartine Poulain [sic] is buttered on, and to sing for his supper.

Many of you who disagree wih KP's views about the current attire and behavior in most USA restaurants accuse him of being old-fashioned, arrogant and French-like snooty. Explain how such a characterization fits in with his apparent relationship with Jerry and E****t (banned).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like your friend Mr Springer, you do seem to like controversy as well as collecting freaks. Jerry has his incestuous trailer trash, you have ernest. It's really too bad he's not back on, except that recently he seemed to be going nuts with the polls. Can't you give him a job or something? Still, ernest knows what side his tartine Poulain [sic] is buttered on, and to sing for his supper.
Now then, it's always more interesting to have a mixed circle of friends.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Many of you who disagree wih KP's views about the current attire and behavior in most USA restaurants accuse him of being old-fashioned, arrogant and French-like snooty. Explain how such a characterization fits in with his apparent relationship with Jerry and E****t (banned).
Ken, are you talking to yourself in the third person again?
colgate.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say that that's for you to explain, given the prescriptive attitudes towards decorum in your posts. If you want to go to a fine dining establishment with your lady, your silver wine basket and your Riedel stemware, speak French, and be surrounded by an atavistic sampling of the well-dressed and well-bred, and then go home and either watch incestuous hillbillies or some fellow who collects thrown-out TVs, Dunheel and stuffed animals, that's your affair. It's only when you post decrying the death of decorum in restaurants that you give the impression you want such decorum elsewhere in life and that yours is the only and the correct way. We don't care about your inconsistencies until you attempt to shove one or another of your split ideologies on us.

How is ernest? He's on welfare, now, right, since his unemployment ran out? Is he still buying the dunheel and the hildeetch? What began so amusingly several years ago now appears slightly sordid.

kennethpollock

Reaction score

E*****t's reply:
"attacking me (when i can not even reply) is not the aim of the forum and that by being obsessed by me more than 6 months after I have been banned, MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE THE FREAK."

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
E*****t's reply:
"attacking me (when i can not even reply) is not the aim of the forum and that by being obsessed by me more than 6 months after I have been banned, MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE THE FREAK."

I feel for ernest. Anyway, looks like ernest can reply. He still has a couple accounts here that haven't been shut down last I know. RJFreak, eh? I need to bring back my Rick James avatar. He was the SuperFreak.

Jill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
whats the difference between welfare and unemployment benefits?
M@T, I don't know how it works in France. But in the US, "Unemployment" benefits are paid from a pool into which one has contributed throughout the course of his employment. It's sometimes called "Unemployment insurance". "Welfare" on the other hand, is simply the "public dole" or "government assistance".

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
whats the difference between welfare and unemployment benefits?

In France, if you get fired, you get unemployment benefits in the value of EIGHTY PERCENT of your former salary for a set period of time (two years or so). That's supposed to tide you over while you look for new work. After that runs out, whatever social benefits you are entitled to are, in general, much smaller since they're not a percentage of what you were earning but a set amount. Ernest's unemployment ran out last year.

--RJfre@k

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads