• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress for a 'fine" dining experience in America

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Ditto. I rarely see a woman shopping at BB in SCP, and if they are, they're buying something for themselves (although hopefully not one of those hideous necktie belts)

I am not sure about BB, but I understand that women buy, or assist in the buying of more than 70% of the men's shirts sold. When I sold clothes in the 1960's I always hated it when a female came in with a guy to buy a suit for him. Men wanted to buy something and get it over with; women had to "shop."

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that KPs dining partners seem to pop up and support him at the most convenient times. In both this thread and the previous one on the diners Bill of Rights.

K

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I find it interesting that KPs dining partners seem to pop up and support him at the most convenient times. In both this thread and the previous one on the diners Bill of Rights.

K

yea, and considering many of his generation have a phobia of computers, I really, really doubt that this is all on the level.

THis is one whacked out lawyer.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
I am not sure about BB, but I understand that women buy, or assist in the buying of more than 70% of the men's shirts sold. When I sold clothes in the 1960's I always hated it when a female came in with a guy to buy a suit for him. Men wanted to buy something and get it over with; women had to "shop."

I agree that this is a dismal tendency. Any self-respecting man should nip this in the bud with his SO.

I once had a girlfriend who was an inveterate shopper but never liked anything. If I suggested that she'd look good with something or other, she could come up with an endless list of reasons it would look lousy on her -- not that she dressed particularly well. She would also attempt to dress me in her constant campaign to change me into someone I was not.

She once observed, "You never buy anything unless you really, really want it, do you?"
I replied, "I never buy anything unless I need it."

That may have been the shortest discussion we ever had.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LOVOMATIK
teacha.gif

Explain me how you use cufflinks with a short sleeves shirt...

It's a Jantzen specialty.

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

Like the others coming out of the woodwork, I share your suspicions. A quick profile history check shows that while Comolli has been a registered user for over 2 years, he's only made 15 posts in that time, nearly all of which have been unprompted apologies for arguments by Mr. Pollock, often made in a fawning tone. While Google shows that there is a real-life Mr. Comolli working as a high level Atlanta-area lawyer, it also shows almost no results for the name except a findlaw profile and a few AskAndy/SF posts, which would be unusual for an experienced participant in online communities, particularly one fond of using his real name in them.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Like the others coming out of the woodwork, I share your suspicions. A quick profile history check shows that while Comolli has been a registered user for over 2 years, he's only made 15 posts in that time, nearly all of which have been unprompted apologies for arguments by Mr. Pollock, often made in a fawning tone. While Google shows that there is a real-life Mr. Comolli working as a high level Atlanta-area lawyer, it also shows almost no results for the name except a findlaw profile and a few AskAndy/SF posts, which would be unusual for an experienced participant in online communities, particularly one fond of using his real name in them.

You got me. I admit it. I am also Comolli, Fabienne, Jerrysfriend and E*****t (banned).

kennethpollock

Reaction score
E*****t's comments on reading this thread:

"The sommelier was surprised by my silver plated French wicker wine basket, but pleasantly so

"I assume he was shocked to see that you spend $250 in food while you but can not even afford a sterling silver one !!!!

"He must have thought you were a redneck, temping in a fast food and trying to impress a girl you met the day before in a lap dancing bar !!!!!!!!"

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
E*****t's comments on reading this thread:

"The sommelier was surprised by my silver plated French wicker wine basket, but pleasantly so

"I assume he was shocked to see that you spend $250 in food while you but can not even afford a sterling silver one !!!!

"He must have thought you were a redneck, temping in a fast food and trying to impress a girl you met the day before in a lap dancing bar !!!!!!!!"

Like your friend Mr Springer, you do seem to like controversy as well as collecting freaks. Jerry has his incestuous trailer trash, you have ernest. It's really too bad he's not back on, except that recently he seemed to be going nuts with the polls. Can't you give him a job or something? Still, ernest knows what side his tartine Poulain [sic] is buttered on, and to sing for his supper.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Like your friend Mr Springer, you do seem to like controversy as well as collecting freaks. Jerry has his incestuous trailer trash, you have ernest. It's really too bad he's not back on, except that recently he seemed to be going nuts with the polls. Can't you give him a job or something? Still, ernest knows what side his tartine Poulain [sic] is buttered on, and to sing for his supper.

He must like it the lamb.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Comolli
I have a hunch that it's the women, who are supposed to be the moral and ethical guardians of our youth, who have gone over the edge with this hip thing and certainly started or furthered the decline of Western Civilization.

A bit dramatic, aren't we? Time changes, and I suggest you try to keep up before giving yourself a heart attack because of "the decline of Western Civilization."

Comolli

Reaction score
Thank you for your note. Hyperbole is a common tactic used in debate to emphasize a point. With the exception of Mr. Pollock and Nantucket Red, not a single person who has commented on my post to this discussion has offered a single fact, observation or principle which would advance the argument one way or another. It would seem that those of you who are "experienced participants in online communities" would know a bit about the Socratic method. Because you have hundreds of posts to this forum in no way means you have anything to say. And, of course, calling someone a name or being critical of a style of writing is no answer to an argument.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Comolli
Thank you for your note. Hyperbole is a common tactic used in debate to emphasize a point. With the exception of Mr. Pollock and Nantucket Red, not a single person who has commented on my post to this discussion has offered a single fact, observation or principle which would advance the argument one way or another. It would seem that those of you who are "experienced participants in online communities" would know a bit about the Socratic method. Because you have hundreds of posts to this forum in no way means you have anything to say. And, of course, calling someone a name or being critical of a style of writing is no answer to an argument.
Err, which argument is that? Whether women buy or "assist in buying" 70% of men's shirts? The original post described an actual or hypothetical experience and solicited "comments". Since then, comments have been all over the board (pun intended).
Having spent plenty of time in academic institutions, one "bit" I know about the Socratic method is that it's one of those things lots of people talk about but few have really mastered. In the hands of someone less than expert in its use, it can be remarkably ineffective. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "a style of writing", but in my experience "calling out" rhetorical devices intended to obscure holes or flaws in the writer's argument (I haven't devoted enough time and attention to form an opinion as to whether that is what happened here) can be an effective, and certainly is a legitimate, form of advocacy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics