• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does it ever end?

Stugotes

Reaction score
Has anyone on this board ever thought that what he has (or will have) in suits, shirts, shoes etc. are sufficient at one point in time? Simon Crompton wrote an article on things in which you put your fine clothes and shoes once you have enough of them. But does this ever happen? I have a plan/list of what I want and need, I want suits in several forms and designs, same goes for shirts, shoes, ties, coats... I can't possibly imagine that I could own more than 20 suits at the same time, even if I was a millionaire. Sure, I've had lots of suits, though most plain sucked and got replaced, once I could afford the next level of qualtiy and fit.

Does one actually reach the point where one just doesn't need any more stuff? Where to go from a closet full of Rubinacci or SR suits?

Looking at closets like Vox' (sure, an extreme example) seems to suggest there will never be an end to it.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think everybody thinks this -- they just put that point in time about two or three major purchases in the future.
smile.gif

Pawz

Reaction score
No, because one's clothing exists in a constant state of entropy/decomposition, which is accelerated by wear and the damaging rays of the sun. Therefore, one must have a constant supply coming in so one will continue to look fresh.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel more or less done. Virtually anything I want now is only what would be fun to have, not what I need to put together a good outfit.

Willin

Reaction score
Surely there is a great philosophical quote someone can input here regarding the endless wants of man?

Pawz

Reaction score
Surely there is a great philosophical quote someone can input here regarding the endless wants of man?

A fool and his money are soon parted? ...No, that's a proverb.

Um...

The wealthiest among us is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least? ...No, that pertains to wealth.

Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit. ...Another proverb, but it suffices.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it progresses, the themes raised by this thread will undoubtedly being to parallel the recent consumption thread started by (IIRC) bourbonbasted.

I have little to add, therefore, apart from to say that need and want are in my opinion very different beasts, and rightly so. There will almost certainly come a point where you feel that you don't need any more clothes. It actually arrives fairly soon. But you will probably still want them, because if you're interested enough in clothes to be posting here on a semi-regular basis, you obviousy consider them fun and it's at least partly a hobby for you. I don't really think it's much different whether you keep the total number of items the same but keep upgrading them, or keep adding more breadth; it's the same principle of enjoying clothes, simply in different forms.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have enough right now. If I wanted, I could buy more, but it wouldn't add much to my wardrobe. I have everything that I need for any occasion that I'm likely to encounter. Anything else would probably just be an impulse buy...not my style. I'd rather keep those few K in the bank.

Last edited:

Stugotes

Reaction score
I feel more or less done. Virtually anything I want now is only what would be fun to have, not what I need to put together a good outfit.

This is interesting, as it's an answer I was hoping to find. To have what you need and considering other items merely as "fun" possibilities to expand your wardrobe. That is probably the situation most people here strive for. Or not? I think I do.

My original idea for this thread came from the thought that I might look back one day and realize that I've spend a years income on my wardrobe alone. And that it might not suffice even then. It's not that I'm frightened by that concept, just wondering if I'll easily be able to move on to other things to spend my money on. Will there be a moment when I pay for the last suit I ever need and think "Ok, that's it then. Off to the Lambo dealer!"?

If it progresses, the themes raised by this thread will undoubtedly being to parallel the recent consumption thread started by (IIRC) bourbonbasted.

I have little to add, therefore, apart from to say that need and want are in my opinion very different beasts, and rightly so. There will almost certainly come a point where you feel that you don't need any more clothes. It actually arrives fairly soon. But you will probably still want them, because if you're interested enough in clothes to be posting here on a semi-regular basis, you obviousy consider them fun and it's at least partly a hobby for you. I don't really think it's much different whether you keep the total number of items the same but keep upgrading them, or keep adding more breadth; it's the same principle of enjoying clothes, simply in different forms.

Interesting thoughts! I didn't consider replacing worn out items (e.g. shirts) the same as enjoying new ones yet... which makes sense, as the replacements could be different/new/fun.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's an interesting question that's been posed before on here. When I see a picture of a closet like Vox's and hear that he's still commissioning more bespoke suits and jackets, I wonder at what point you get to saturation beyond being spilt for choice. Do you wear the navy SB worsted, the nevy DB worsted, the navy patch pocket worsted, the neavy hopsack, the navy fresco, the navy linen, the navy wool silk mix, the naxy houndstooth ...

I have enough for now so I've imposed a one out one in policy so it won't get wider, but hopefully better by degrees.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I also think that (speaking for myself) it's easier to get instant gratification from easier accessible items (= less expensive) so I tend to get a lot of ties, pocket quares etc. many of which aren't used very often, and I think if I would knock it off with this kind of thing and be more patient I'd be some way towards having saved up for a bespoke commission.

One of my favourite posters was TC Houston, (always had great pics in WAYWRN) who said that after some time fine tuning of his style on SF he had realised that he always favoured a small selection of suits and sport coats so he ditched a load of stuff now that he had found his 'uniform'. I try to think similarly but I'm not there yet!

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score
I think I will be able to reach a plateau once I obtain the necessary items to be able to dress reasonably within Good Taste
2122.png

I personally think it's masculine to have key items that you can wear day in and day out with various ensembles. I personally would feel odd to have a closet full of an extraordinarily wide array of clothes to wear. For me the goal is to eventually always be able to dress sharply while not being too eccentric. I don't think a huge closet of clothes would suit my blue collar sentimentalities but to each his own.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'll always like ordering something new so I take my time and order very few things. That way, there's always something that needs replacing.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is something to be said for self-imposed constraints. With fewer things, you are forced to be more thoughtful and use them to greater effect. Hence, it is possible to be more expressive with a less expansive wardrobe. The OneShoe was an idea partially born of such thinking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads