• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you give your SO an allowance?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've never done anything like that in a relationship before, but currently I've been dishing out about 5% of my paycheck as a kind of allowance for my girlfriend (despite the fact that month to month, she makes more than I do). Maybe it's just because she likes to go shopping moreso than my previous girlfriends have. Feels like its kind of a monthly maintenance fee for keeping her nails nice and her clothes up to date.

Am I normal or is this unusual?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does that mean you can ground her if she does something bad?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does that all work? Does she ask you for cash, or do you just end up paying for her manicures, etc?

My girlfriend makes pretty good money and doesnt require an allowance from me

K

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh boy... where do I start?
lol8[1].gif

As wel all know very well by now, teh g33k has been suckered into spending more than his fair share on wimminz. I've never paid an actual maintenance fee though. Unless we were married , there isn't a chance in hell she's getting some fixed % of my income. If we were married, such a thing would rub me the wrong way. To me this is a huge red flag. If a girl expected that from me even before we were married, despite making more than I do, I'd run for the hills. Imagine what she'll be like after you tie the knot... You should just start endorsing your cheques over to her now.

And ya, I'd say it's unusual. There's a big difference between treating your gf and giving an actual allowance. The only girl I've ever met that got an allowance from her guy was just using him and dating someone else on the side.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Personally, no. But I spend a lot of money on my gf, I wouldn't call it an allowance though. I get my paycheck and spend all the money that I need to, put back whatever part I want to save, and the rest is "entertainment" money, that I use on both of us. If you call that an allowance, so be it.

My dad gives my mother an allowance though. He's the one with the job, and until 2 years ago, my mother was the home maker. But on that end, they both had an allowance. They basically did the same thing I did; take care of all your necessary expenses, then set some money aside for entertainment. I wouldn't call it allowance, just part of your budget.

Edit: and yeah, it's weird if she's making more than you. Why don't you ask her for a little allowance?!
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Personally, no. But I spend a lot of money on my gf, I wouldn't call it an allowance though. I get my paycheck and spend all the money that I need to, put back whatever part I want to save, and the rest is "entertainment" money, that I use on both of us. If you call that an allowance, so be it.

My dad gives my mother an allowance though. He's the one with the job, and until 2 years ago, my mother was the home maker. But on that end, they both had an allowance. They basically did the same thing I did; take care of all your necessary expenses, then set some money aside for entertainment. I wouldn't call it allowance, just part of your budget.

Edit: and yeah, it's weird if she's making more than you. Why don't you ask her for a little allowance?!
smile.gif

Ya but what's different in his case is that it's not "entertainment" money spent on both of them. It's her spending his money on herself even though she has her own money. My mother did that with my father and it inevitably led to resentment and fighting. I really don't understand how a situation like this could come to be. It might be one thing if you really love a girl and she's down on her luck and you decide to help her out, but when she's making money and you're not even married?

mink31

Reaction score
Honestly, even if you're married, any type of inequality--especially financial--is breeding ground for mutual resentment. My parents have always shared a bank account and it was actually my mother who took care of all the finances even though my father took in 3x her salary. I understand that if you've got billions to protect, you'd want to be careful. But isn't marriage about trust?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
But isn't marriage about trust?

And estate.

G79

Reaction score
I allow her to chew my brains out on and off :p

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF?
confused.gif
I don't understand this. It's one thing if she's a student and you're supporting both of you or you're engaged or married and your bringing considerably more money to the table than she is, but it's sort of mixed together. If she makes more than you, why isn't she spending her own money keeping herself looking nice for you? Maybe it's a cultural thing. Isn't your girlfriend Korean? Either way, it's a very bad precedent to set IMO.

Mr T

Reaction score
No.

My wife and I each earn, save and spend our own money. Actually, so does my daughter since she earns money by doing chores vs getting money for nothing.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian,

5% is way too low. Your SO is a keeper.

Syl

Reaction score
Wow. Never heard of this first-hand before.
My wife works for about the same I do. We each have our own accounts as well as a joint account. All the household bills and costs come from the joint account (to which we both contribute). Whatever is left in our own respective accounts is ours to do with.
So no, I don't give an allowance, and if I ever had to, I'd wonder why she needed it.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only cases I have given allowances were when they were not genuine relationships.

On the other hand she might expect you to be the main breadwinner in the future (if your relationship get`s serious), but I would imagine that she would spend some of her money on you in return too. Also, in some cases they will save the allowance (or even more) towards marriage costs. So it could be bad or good...you should look into it further.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Fish