• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you care about being distinctive?

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize you're all so very complex and sophisticated such that this simplification is insulting, yet, where would you place yourself (if you had to)?

Very Much
-move on from things when others start to pick them up (not even necessarily even the people you see outside, it even starts to bother you when fellow enthusiasts start buying the same stuff and wearing it the same way). You're on to something else before the idea of it being 'played' is even brought up.
-get irritated when you something you like starts popping up on blogs.
-enjoy looking different than others for the sake of it.

Somewhat
-it bugs you a bit when people start to dress similarly to you, but it doesn't change what you buy.
-take some pride in thinking you were ahead of the game for a while and was into something before it got generally popular (not necessarily before it was popular among enthusiasts).
-willing to try some new stuff for the sake of it being different, but typically not before you've seen someone else do the same in a magazine, on a forum, or you pick up on it from someone outside

Not at All
-don't really care or are even pleased to see people dressed similarly to you outside, even if its the same brands & the same styling you wear.
-blogs about the clothes/style you care about serves as affirmation and you're happy to see them.
-looking distinctive is not something you applaud. Not to say that you attempt to look like the masses, you just don't go out of your way not to.

Dude on a Motorcycle
-this thread sucks

E9lWPl6ugmdu1lkrCSnsIMIko1_r2_500.jpg

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat. I want to look like the everyman, so I am actually trying to look like everyone in one aspect. Still, the kind everyman that I want to look like is the one that was stylized in a movie to look like an everyman, not the kind of middle-aged overweight white guy that you would see on the street.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't care. I want a look that is flattering and appropriate for the situation. In many situations that means looking similar to those around me. I'm betting that once my experience in the sartorial world expands this will change. Until then, I'm just trying to look good.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of believe that it will occur as an organic side effect of spending a lot of time choosing clothing that is congruent with one's lifestyle and personality.

I'd like to think my lifestyle and personality is somewhat distinctive so hopefully that will be expressed by my clothing.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
This was my answer:
ghost_rider_movie_image_nick_cage.jpg
I don't care if others dress like me or buy into the same brands. Someone else's buying choices won't dictate my own. If I see someone else dress with similar tastes to my own then I consider them fortunate enough to have been blessed with style. Seriously, how could that not be an ego feeder? I don't need a new thing to be affirmed by someone or some place before trying it myself. Looking different is something I applaud but I prefer seeing/doing a personal take on an "average" fit any day. Different for the sake of it isn't noteworthy by definition. But it's Pink. When else am I going to get a chance to vote that his thread sucks?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's about context.

Do I want to be distinctive in Asheville? Which basically has been trapped in an unending timewarp to Haight Ashbury 1967 for the past 10 years, ie, do I want to look like everyone else who looks like a tripped-out funky old hippie?

So for the place I live, I am distinctive because my look is American trad, quasi-preppy, and decidely not hippie.

Somewhere else, I might blend right in. Here I stick out like crazy, but I'd rather not have the look that would let me blend in.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I waver between the somewhat and the not (so I guess that puts me in the somewhat). The thing is, where I'm from and where I live now I see so few people dressed in a way that is flattering at all that I get excited to see one person a month who looks good. I imagine my opinion would differ if I was in an urban place and exposed to more stylish people. What inspired this thread was the comments that get made in waywt about things being played/overly popular (pant roll, workwear, wayfarers, raw denim, etc) which I quite literally never see anyone wearing outside of the internet, though I do admit that I live in an aesthetically desolate place. Incidentally, that also inspired this thread about the popularity of certain brands (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=105567) that unfortunately didn't take off.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I used to be "very much" x100

nowadays, I'm "somewhat"

but I'm "not at all" when it comes to seeing another fellow tribal member

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
It's about context.

Do I want to be distinctive in Asheville? Which basically has been trapped in an unending timewarp to Haight Ashbury 1967 for the past 10 years, ie, do I want to look like everyone else who looks like a tripped-out funky old hippie?

So for the place I live, I am distinctive because my look is American trad, quasi-preppy, and decidely not hippie.

Hey now, Asheville isn't exclusively hippies.

There's crackheads, too.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot.

But then again, I'm talking about IRL and not on the net.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads