• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get into the premium denim game but don't know where to start with sizing. I've been skimming this thread and didn't see anyone definitively say how to size.

I'd like to go with raw selvage denim, the darker the better.

Some suggestions below the $100 mark (levis lee, gap, etc), and then a few suggestions below the $250 (APC and I don't even know any others) mark would be awesome.

My measurements:
waist: 29.5" (extremely annoying size)
inseam: 31"

some suggestions of brands and sizes to go with would be awesome.

Thank you in advance!

kentyman

Reaction score
My measurements:
waist: 29.5" (extremely annoying size)
inseam: 31"

some suggestions of brands and sizes to go with would be awesome.

We have very similar measurements, so I'd be interested in this as well.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, inseam measurement is irrelevant, as the majority of higher end jeans will have a 34-36in inseam and most people will need to have them shortened anyways. In the sub-$250 category you mentioned, my go-to brands have been J Brand and Rag & Bone. The most common models (which are slim, straight-legs) are the Kane (JB) and the RB15X (RB). I would say that both fit true to size, so you'll want to try a 29 and a 30 keeping in mind that raw denim will tend to stretch a bit. Online I'd look at Saks, Nordstrom and Barney's first, since they'll have the widest selection. Then feel free to shop around based on price.

RingTail

Reaction score
In my search for straight leg selvage denim I own and like:

APC New Standard around $185
Naked & Famous Slim Guy $140

At a lower price Gap Straight Leg selvage looks workable, MSRP is $98 though Gap has lots of sales. I might pick a pair.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At a lower price Gap Straight Leg selvage looks workable, MSRP is $98 though Gap has lots of sales. I might pick a pair.

I'd probably go for J. Crew, which should be somewhere between the first two you mentioned and Gap in terms of price and quality.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on Kamikaze Attack? They have a straight-fit that I like, but I've never heard of the brand before.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably go for J. Crew, which should be somewhere between the first two you mentioned and Gap in terms of price and quality.

First of all, inseam measurement is irrelevant, as the majority of higher end jeans will have a 34-36in inseam and most people will need to have them shortened anyways. In the sub-$250 category you mentioned, my go-to brands have been J Brand and Rag & Bone. The most common models (which are slim, straight-legs) are the Kane (JB) and the RB15X (RB). I would say that both fit true to size, so you'll want to try a 29 and a 30 keeping in mind that raw denim will tend to stretch a bit. Online I'd look at Saks, Nordstrom and Barney's first, since they'll have the widest selection. Then feel free to shop around based on price.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

RingTail

Reaction score

I had picked up the J Brand Kane a while back, but don't wear them at all now as I find the leg to skinny/trendy.
On a tagged waist of 30, the actual is now around 35, but the leg is only 7.5.
Where as on my APC and N&F the leg is 8.5 which I prefer a lot more.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had picked up the J Brand Kane a while back, but don't wear them at all now as I find the leg to skinny/trendy.
5" of stretch?!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a similar issue, but it was more about the fact that different fabrics in the same size/cut fit very differently. You could try some other fabrics that tend to fit tighter/stretch less and go up a size for a bigger leg opening. FYI, I've found the opposite with Rag & Bone with the exception of some of the raw, resin coated jeans which fit a bit tighter. I comfortably wear a 34 in all of the RB15x I've tried other than the Olive Resin, which fit too tight.

5" of stretch?! 

Well, probably 2.5in stretch, 2.5in vanity sizing ;).

RingTail

Reaction score
I had a similar issue, but it was more about the fact that different fabrics in the same size/cut fit very differently. You could try some other fabrics that tend to fit tighter/stretch less and go up a size for a bigger leg opening. FYI, I've found the opposite with Rag & Bone with the exception of some of the raw, resin coated jeans which fit a bit tighter. I comfortably wear a 34 in all of the RB15x I've tried other than the Olive Resin, which fit too tight.
Well, probably 2.5in stretch, 2.5in vanity sizing
wink.gif
That's a good point about the fabric's making a difference, that's why I'm not keen on ordering any denim on line. Service at Denim Bar in DC is great.
Though I don't think a size up in J Brand would have worked as the waist would become too wide for the bigger leg. When I picked up the N&F Slim Guy this time, I also tried on a pair of 'Big John' really liked how they fit on waist and seat but they only had the slimmer leg so I didn't get those.
Mose selvage denim seems to be cut for the current slim leg trend, I certainly find my self in the minority looking for the straight leg with the 8.5 openings.
Yup the increase in size on my J Brand is due to stretch and vanity, though I don't recall what the original size was.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a good point about the fabric's making a difference, that's why I'm not keen on ordering any denim on line. Service at Denim Bar in DC is great.
Though I don't think a size up in J Brand would have worked as the waist would become too wide for the bigger leg. When I picked up the N&F Slim Guy this time, I also tried on a pair of 'Big John' really liked how they fit on waist and seat but they only had the slimmer leg so I didn't get those.
Mose selvage denim seems to be cut for the current slim leg trend, I certainly find my self in the minority looking for the straight leg with the 8.5 openings.
Yup the increase in size on my J Brand is due to stretch and vanity, though I don't recall what the original size was.

If you want an 8.5in opening, try the Rag & Bone RB10x or RB11x. I'm sure there are other good options out there, this just happens to be one of the few brands I'm actually familiar with...

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try gustin. They have a straight leg which is the best cut jean for me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads