• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dealing with last minute eBay Outbid Feelings

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
I did this once posting my absolute maximum about a day before auction. I had to do this since I was out of town the next day. My max bid was $999. When I got back, I had won the auction where the final price was: $999 (whats the chance of that?). I checked my emails, saw that I was outbid about 10 min before end, and realised that the bid must have been cancelled by seller before the same bidder raised the price to mine. It was a clear case of a seller bidding on his own auction from a different account. Needless to say I did not pay for the auction and told the seller where he could stick that suit
ffffuuuu.gif

Tee hee. Always wanted to do that ie. create a clone account and bid on the item I am selling so I can jack up the price. But never got around to doing it.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Tee hee. Always wanted to do that ie. create a clone account and bid on the item I am selling so I can jack up the price. But never got around to doing it.

Good thing you didnt. Shill bidding is illegal, and they can smell that **** a mile away, and kick you and all your IP clones off too. Dont play around with that stuff.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Good thing you didnt. Shill bidding is illegal, and they can smell that **** a mile away, and kick you and all your IP clones off too. Dont play around with that stuff.

Well, I suspected it is illegal. But you can easily do it by logging via a proxy server or logging through another PC. Just create like ten or twenty clones sometime back.

I always see people with zero feedback bidding and often for high amounts and I don't see any seller getting banned.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I suspected it is illegal. But you can easily do it by logging via a proxy server or logging through another PC. Just create like ten or twenty clones sometime back.

I always see people with zero feedback bidding and often for high amounts and I don't see any seller getting banned.

Im sure it happens more than people get caught for... but I just detest that kind of stuff.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Im sure it happens more than people get caught for... but I just detest that kind of stuff.

True true but maybe you wont hate it as much, if that jacks up the price of what you are selling by $100 bucks or more.

Sometimes I get the feeling the shoe is on the other foot and I wonder as I am jacking up my bids higher and higher, if my competitor is some punk kid with no intention of buying or I am bidding against a seller-clone.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
I never get sniped because if it's an item I really want then with about 15 seconds to go I always throw an extra zero onto my bid. Nobody has time to substantially run up the price nor can anyone outbid me. Perfect system.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
True true but maybe you wont hate it as much, if that jacks up the price of what you are selling by $100 bucks or more.

Definitely not. $100 bucks doesnt mean **** to me. The ability to continue to sell there without breaking rules does.

JohnShaft

Reaction score

Does it occur to you that attitudes such as your own are why the economy is in such a mess these days?

Jangofett

Reaction score
Definitely not. $100 bucks doesnt mean **** to me. The ability to continue to sell there without breaking rules does.

Well, there's Spoo and there's the rest of us.
biggrin.gif

But seriously, just like any big corporation, ebay is run by clowns and idiots with irretractable attitudes and positions. Feels good to break their rules and screw them once in a while just like how they screwed me over.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by plussung
Did you get penalized by Ebay? I assume the seller never bothered to raise the issue with them... usually Ebay and Paypal police are pretty anal when it comes to that kind of stuff, despite what the obvious situation is.

Nope, told the seller what he did / condone was unethical and the self bidding was blatant (eBay bidder bids, bid is cancelled, same bidder bids to my maximum ensuring I win). Although I could not tell the bidder ID, I told him eBay would under investigation.

Seller never got back to me, but the suit was relisted a couple of days later with buy it now of $750. He sold it to another eBay buyer in a matter of 48hours. That Buyer got a great deal for a NWT Luigi Borrelli suit. I thought I may have been a little petty about it, but then: Fool me once its your fault, fool me twice it is my fault.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Nope, told the seller what he did / condone was unethical and the self bidding was blatant (eBay bidder bids, bid is cancelled, same bidder bids to my maximum ensuring I win). Although I could not tell the bidder ID, I told him eBay would under investigation.

Seller never got back to me, but the suit was relisted a couple of days later with buy it now of $750. He sold it to another eBay buyer in a matter of 48hours. That Buyer got a great deal for a NWT Luigi Borrelli suit. I thought I may have been a little petty about it, but then: Fool me once its your fault, fool me twice it is my fault.

Er, maybe you should have given the seller the benefit of the doubt.
It could be a ****** buyer who flaked and asked the seller to cancel the bid.
I recall if the bid is cancelled, the next highest one will have to buy the item.
The seller then didnt want the hassle of quibbling with you.

Anyway, your quote is wrong.
According to Dubya, its fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, aint gonna get fooled again.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnShaft
Does it occur to you that attitudes such as your own are why the economy is in such a mess these days?
Exactly.

But seriously, just like any big corporation, ebay is run by clowns and idiots with irretractable attitudes and positions. Feels good to break their rules and screw them once in a while just like how they screwed me over.

Ooooops, apparently it has not occurred.
"Hey, everyone else is doing it!!! I might as well do it too!!!"
ffffuuuu.gif

The thing is, you're not going to screw eBay that way (or any other); your Final Value Fees, etc. will go up. You would be screwing only most likely innocent bidders, if anyone, if you got away with it; would you really be so happy and proud of that?

FWIW, eBay has never actually screwed you: your participation there is entirely voluntary on your part.

I'll agree with Spoo et al here: your attitude, if serious, is detestable.

Finally, if in fact when you buy you are "jacking up [your] bids higher and higher", in response to "competitors", then you really have no clue what you're doing.
Too much of that "Bid early, bid often!!!" cool-aid can seriously screw with one's logic....

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Er, maybe you should have given the seller the benefit of the doubt.
It could be a ****** buyer who flaked and asked the seller to cancel the bid.
The seller then didnt want the hassle of quibbling with you.

Hmmm, my email suggested the bidder that topped my bid placed it 10mins before auction end. It is unlikely the seller was there to immediately cancel that bid, and then 2mins later a bidder with same amount of feedback posts a bid exactly the same amount as my max leaving me the winner. There was no sniping, the last bid was 8mins before auction end. Got to suspect
devil.gif

Anyway, your quote is wrong.
According to Dubya, its fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, aint gonna get fooled again.

Aye, I am always getting my quotes wrong
facepalm.gif
. Better make sure my signature was quoted correctly. Time to Google it.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Exactly.

Ooooops, apparently it has not occurred.
"Hey, everyone else is doing it!!! I might as well do it too!!!"
ffffuuuu.gif

The thing is, you're not going to screw eBay that way (or any other); your Final Value Fees, etc. will go up. You would be screwing only most likely innocent bidders, if anyone, if you got away with it; would you really be so happy and proud of that?

FWIW, eBay has never actually screwed you: your participation there is entirely voluntary on your part.

I'll agree with Spoo et al here: your attitude, if serious, is detestable.

Finally, if in fact when you buy you are "jacking up [your] bids higher and higher", in response to "competitors", then you really have no clue what you're doing.
Too much of that "Bid early, bid often!!!" cool-aid can seriously screw with one's logic....

Mmm, as I said, as a seller I have not done shill bidding before.
Even if the Final Value Fee goes up, my increased selling price would far outstrip it.
As for screwing ebay, ya, one would have screwed with their rules and system by doing shill bidding.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Not true. If you are talking about shoes, its difficult to find shoes in your exact size and not in crap condition... I have missed a new Prada monk strap in grey-brown elephant skin, AMQ green croc loafers with the veins inbetween in yellow and JL in pewter museum finish but unlike the tobacco like colour JL calls pewter, this is blackish and more like the pewter in the Barker Black Pewter available on BS Forum.
Well okay. Proven wrong. I guess if you have the same taste as Muammar Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi, then you may be up ****-creek without a paddle. For those of us who don't live by the same sartorial blueprint, much less bid upon, the kind of esoteric luxury goods fit-for-a-desert-nation-leader-for-life (or his ne'er-edo-well male offspring), we generally ARE able to fish duplicate goods from the bay. Just sayin'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads