• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Tassel Loafer Advice (GG Corniche vs EG Belgravia)

soto_nw

Reaction score
I have recently taken the plunge into "high-end"/"best quality" ready to wear (RTW) goodyear welted shoes. I was hesitant because of the cost, and wondered what I was getting for 2-3x the cost of a Carmina or J Fitzpatrick shoe.

After getting my first Gaziano & Girling (GG), I now understand. First of all the GGs fit my foot absolutely the best of any show I've ever tried....close to the foot, very minimal (especially over the vamp) and subtle creasing (creasing is not bad, but seeing how subtle it is really is nice), hugs my ankle, and supremely comfortable with 0 break-in.

With that said I decided to approach my purchases as a capsule wardrobe for maximum versatility given the cost (though I may have already mucked it up a little, as you'll see). My inspiration for this approach was this article - https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/09/if-you-only-had-five-shoes-a-capsule-collection.html

Covid has meant a bit more unspent money so I now have 2 GG. I plan on only purchasing 2-3 shoes a year in this price range (Edward Green, aka EG, and GG price range/quality).

Since I like to have a plan semi-set in stone this is the outline I have for shoes 1-5 is:
1) Black GG Oxford on GG06 Last (purchased)
2) Rioja GG Hayes Oxford on TG73 Last (purchased)
3) A brown suede loafer - deciding between:
a) Mink Suede EG Belgravia loafer- https://www.edwardgreen.com/shop/shoes/belgravia-mink-suede-brown-184-last.html
c) Mink Suede GG Corniche loafer - https://www.gazianogirling.com/products/corniche-in-mink-suede-kn14/
4) Mink Suede EG Banbury
5) An EG Oxford, either:
a) Antique Brown EG Chelsea
b) Antique Brown EG Cadogan

The reason for the 3 oxfords, is that in a non-Covid world I'm in suits Monday-Thursday (and frankly I could not resist the Rioja Hayes). I'm not concerned about shoe 5 quite yet. However, shoe number 3 is giving me headaches.

Shoe #4 will be great with jeans, smart trousers, and even trouser+jacket combinations. I'd like shoe #3 to be equally versatile (whole point of this capsule inspired collection) - the priority is in fact being paired with jeans (perhaps something that could work with untucked, but tailored shirts+jeans).

My jeans are generally just dark denim 501s that I get tapered just a bit (though I do plan on buying some denim from Blackhorse Lane or the Armory). I'm positive that the suede Belgravia will work with jeans, but am wondering if others can offer some thoughts on choosing between the two (3a and 3b).

I know that GGs generally look dressier, but would 3b look horrible with denim? They seem like they'd be similar to a pair of J Fitzpatrick (JF) tassel loafers I have, and were it not for their color (teal) those loafers seem like they'd work with jeans and my personal style.....

Happy to hear people's thoughts about what direction to take shoe #3 (feel free to look at my IG for a sense of my style - absolutely NO NEED to follow or like ;) I really just want to hear from others)....my heart says 3a, my brain says 3b....and I'd prefer to avoid an expensive mistake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads