• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockpot / Slow Cooking!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf?

I've wanted a Crockpot for a while and I finally got one. Now what?

I was thinking roast beef, chicken, pulled pork, rice? but now that I have a crock pot I realize I have no idea how to use it...

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pot roast, potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, beef stock, salt and pepper. Throw all that stuff in there, cover it up, cook on low for like 6hrs.

Easiest recipe off the top of my head

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
carnitas. make a good roasted salsa, get some tortillas and chop up some onions and cilantro :slayer: Tacos rule everything around me.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use ours quite often and pulled pork is a personal favorite. I think actually shredding the pork after it's cooked is the most time consuming part (except for the waiting of course).

My recipe:

4 pounds of pork shoulder on the bone
A generous amount of pork rub rubbed into each side of the shoulder (I've used many different ones but found the store brand from the local specialty grocer to be my favorite but even Lowry's, Omaha Steaks, or McCormick's work fine)
A handful of whole cloves pierced into the sides of the pork shoulder
1 or 2 red onions (sliced, but not too finely)
A diced clove of garlic
Half a tablespoon of cumin
Handful of brown sugar (that's an exact measurement :satisfied: )
A cup of water
Bottle of beer (or two if the extra is needed to cover the shoulder in the pot)

Cook on high until it basically falls off the bone when you pick it up (usually between 4-6 hours depending on how big the shoulder is), remove cloves, and shred with forks or fingers. Return shredded pork to the crock pot and add half a bottle of BBQ sauce (or more or less depending on your preferences) and cook for another 30 minutes to an hour.

You can also return to the crock pot and serve immediately and allow folks to add whatever BBQ sauce they feel appropriate.

Damn! Now I want to make pulled pork this weekend.

PeterNolan

Reaction score
I used to look for[FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif] r[/FONT]ecipes on food . com they are quite good. And I also found some recipes on crockpot . com i think which I live by since then...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

carnitas. make a good roasted salsa, get some tortillas and chop up some onions and cilantro :slayer: Tacos rule everything around me.

WIN. gonna try this out....me and my wife just got a crockpot...this sounds like a good first use. :slayer:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pulled pork

This is one of the main reasons that I wanted a crockpot... There's a local guy / cajun chef that makes amazing pulled pork. He cooks it over a couple of days and it's amazing. He says he learned how to make it in New Orleans.

A couple of recipe / etc. sites that I've found:

Link

Link

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Also, I remember seeing somewhere before a type of "Meat claw" that made shredding very easy. Anyone have a link possibly?

would you be referring to one of these things perhaps?
fork.jpg

Willie5566

Reaction score
Couple tips:

Chicken is great in a slow cooker. You can throw in BBQ Sauce and cook it for 3-4 hours on low. Or-Marinate it in any marinade. Italian dressing is a good marinade. Roast and onion soup mix throw in some vegetables and voila! If you are making any dish with chicken throw the chicken in the slow cooker and then you can mix it in whatever you are making later. Cooking it in the slow cooker keeps the chicken moist and it just falls apart. It is the only way I cook chicken.

I will throw in one of my specialties (you will thank me later)-

Ingredients

1 tablespoon paprika
4 teaspoons sugar, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 1/3 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Directions

In a small bowl, combine paprika, I teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, thyme, lemon-pepper, cayenne and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. Set aside. In another bowl, combine mayonnaise, water, vinegar and remaining sugar, salt and pepper; cover and chill 1 cup for serving. Save remaining sauce for basting.
Slow cook chicken on low for 3-4 hours, basting frequently with remaining sauce. Serve with reserved sauce.

xpress

Reaction score
I embarked on my first slow-cook yesterday.

After dedicating myself to the paleo diet a few months ago, I figured a new method of cooking was in order.

15 minutes prep time, 8 hours on low, and Presto! Curry Chicken.

Paleo curry chicken recipe available upon request.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I embarked on my first slow-cook yesterday.
After dedicating myself to the paleo diet a few months ago, I figured a new method of cooking was in order.
15 minutes prep time, 8 hours on low, and Presto! Curry Chicken.
Paleo curry chicken recipe available upon request.

Post up the recipe. I'm always looking for new ideas for our slow cooker and I prefer recipes where I know somebody has enjoyed it instead of just out of a faceless cookbook.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A few times a year we get invited to social potlucks. I used to try to make something nice for these things but found it's not really the venue to have your efforts appreciated. So I took note of what other folks were bringing and decided crock pot dishes, of low effort and dubious ingredients, would score very well. I tried taking a few onions and slicing them up, a couple bags of the frozen "party" meatballs from Trader Joe, and a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup and dumping them all into the crock pot on low for six hours. Huge hit with the folks at the next potluck. Call them "Swedish Meatballs" and everyone will love them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads