• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black sportscoat advice

alex_

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking to start a tailoring journey and have been wanting to find an odd jacket in black that I can wear with black trousers. It isn't easy because black is typically associated with either business or very formal, but I found something that really fits the bill. It's a Zegna dark grey with what I think is a glen check, but the lines are very subtle which is perfect as I don't like how highly contrasting check patterns look.
Now I've been looking for something like this but at a more reasonable price. I checked all the SuitSupply farbrics but nothing really matches this. I've had a look at a few sites but had no luck. Can anyone point me in a direction? I live in Australia but am fine with buying internatinally.

Attachments

• 67_51850056_1000.jpg
    67_51850056_1000.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 94

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
Don't do that. Do not wear an odd black jacket with black trousers. The reason for that is that the fabrics and the shade of black (oh yes, black does have shades) will be different and you will look like someone who wanted to wear a black suit but did not manage to get it in full and decided to wear different parts instead. Try wearing it with medium or light grey trousers instead.

The other option would be to find a jacket in medium grey, for example. This way you could wear it with black trousers.

Also, don't forget to pay attention to the fabric. Black flannel wool trousers, for example, won't look good with a thin worsted wool jacket, no matter the color.

alex_

Reaction score
Don't do that. Do not wear an odd black jacket with black trousers. The reason for that is that the fabrics and the shade of black (oh yes, black does have shades) will be different and you will look like someone who wanted to wear a black suit but did not manage to get it in full and decided to wear different parts instead. Try wearing it with medium or light grey trousers instead.

The other option would be to find a jacket in medium grey, for example. This way you could wear it with black trousers.

Also, don't forget to pay attention to the fabric. Black flannel wool trousers, for example, won't look good with a thin worsted wool jacket, no matter the color.
I really dislike light/medium grey, that's why I'm specifically trying to find a black jacket that can differentiate itself from a suit via a pattern and texture (flannel or tweed.) I don't know what it would look like with black trousers but I wouldn't wear any worsted wool as that looks too formal. I could try cotton or flannel, or even settle for black chinos or black denim to create the look. The hard part is finding this kind of colour as no one seems to sell it besides Zegna.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
That particular fabric (or something like it) is probably going to be hard to find off-the-rack. Zegna is a huge manufacturer, and they can make their own fabrics as well.

Does it have to be black, or is charcoal ok? That would open up a lot of options. And of course, most fast fashion brands seem to stock several black sport coats (though they call them blazers, because fast fashion is the devil). A quick google of "black blazer mens" gave me hits from everything from H&M to Boss, and my local mid-level multi-brand store stocked several options in the $300-$700 range. I quick search of Mr Porter (home of overpriced luxury brands, I know) shows several options from $300 and up: https://www.mrporter.com/en-se/mens...3_ntk_cs%3A%22Black%22&orderBy=8&pageNumber=1

Oh, and you will likely get some people telling you that you shouldn't wear a black sports coat, and try to steer you towards navy or grey. Black is a big no-no in the "classic menswear" community, but in the real world it's very accepted to wear black sport coats, so don't let that discourage you too much, unless you REALLY want to impress some fussy middle aged fellows on the internet.

alex_

Reaction score
That particular fabric (or something like it) is probably going to be hard to find off-the-rack. Zegna is a huge manufacturer, and they can make their own fabrics as well.

Does it have to be black, or is charcoal ok? That would open up a lot of options. And of course, most fast fashion brands seem to stock several black sport coats (though they call them blazers, because fast fashion is the devil). A quick google of "black blazer mens" gave me hits from everything from H&M to Boss, and my local mid-level multi-brand store stocked several options in the $300-$700 range. I quick search of Mr Porter (home of overpriced luxury brands, I know) shows several options from $300 and up: https://www.mrporter.com/en-se/mens/clothing/blazers?facet=ads_f11503_ntk_cs%3A%22Black%22&orderBy=8&pageNumber=1

Oh, and you will likely get some people telling you that you shouldn't wear a black sports coat, and try to steer you towards navy or grey. Black is a big no-no in the "classic menswear" community, but in the real world it's very accepted to wear black sport coats, so don't let that discourage you too much, unless you REALLY want to impress some fussy middle aged fellows on the internet.
Oh definitely, I imagine they have proprietary. But as long as it's wool and has those interesting subtle dark checks it would likely work. Charcoal in a darker is just fine, and I believe this jacket is advertised as a charcoal.
I've definitely heard a lot about the aversion to black suits. I watch a channel called Sartorial Talks and he said he waited many years before getting his first black suit. But it's actually a very common look for younger people, dressed down with a white tank top or something like that. But something like a worsted wool in black doesn't appeal to me that much, I like something textured or with a unique pattern.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is not associated with business attire, as you suggest. Traditional business suits are navy or grey. Black jackets and suits have recently gained acceptance as after-work attire (meaning out on the town) but black is very hard to wear and pair, which is counterintuitive. If you want to wear a black jacket with black trousers, buy a black suit. Then you will also have the proper outfit for a funeral.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads