1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crockpot / Slow Cooking!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Tck13, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I used to use my crockpot all the time. Need to get back into cooking with it more often. Wish I could track down this kick ass gumbo recipe I had. Was wonderful.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I was about to say that's actually the George Foreman grill, but honestly it's more of a college rite of passage.

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

For things like stews and chili, which I am fond of year round, I find the crock pot much more convenient than preparing them on the stove. Once things are cooked thoroughly, I can turn the heat down and leave it simmering all day if I like so that I don't have to keep reheating it if I want to go back for subsequent bowls throughout the day.

I'd also rather cook a roast in my crock pot than in the stove since I can prepare it all nice and early and leave the house for a few hours and know that the food will be ready for me as soon as I return.

Besides all that, there really is a difference in the taste to things that have been "slow cooked" and allowed to have the different spices really penetrate into everything.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

OK.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

not where I live. :(

6. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I think this is like the 5th time I've posted here, but I love crockpot cooking because it's so easy even a tard like me can do it.

I tend to make a big meal on Sunday night for the following week.

Last week was:

[​IMG]

1 lb lentils, 1 lb Slovacek beef sausage, half a pod of garlic chopped fine, lots of chopped celery and carrots (I had too many carrots in this, made it too sweet), 2 beef bullion cubes, low for 8 hours, serve over brown rice.

Also, my favorite crock bean recipe is: 1 lb pinto beans, 1 lb pork sausage, half a pod of garlic chopped fine, 1 medium yellow onion, 1 bunch cilantro, 1.5 teaspoon chicken bullion powder, low 8 hours, serve over white rice. This one tastes amazing.

edit: Oh yeah, I use a LOT of water in both these bean crocks. The broth is goooood

Pot roast is even easier. Just get a 4-5 lb roast, toss it in there on top a bed of whole, unscraped carrots, add a mixture of 1 can cream of something or other soup, water, and a packet of French Onion soup mix. Most of the time though I'll use two cans of cream of mushroom soup, causes the roast to break apart and turns it into more of a stew. I love this with those fancy grain breads.

For grins, I tried a recipe I found online to do crock pot pork ribs. Was a disaster.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. Renton

Renton Well-Known Member

8. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Yes, that's them. Thanks!

9. Bryan_Funfetti

Bryan_Funfetti Well-Known Member

Crock pot owns my life. I've been eating chicken tortilla soup my gf made for 3 days now. Always hot, always ready. :slayer:

I like to make beef roasts, pulled pork, chicken breasts marinated in jerk sauce, chicken tikka. My absolute favorite use for the crock pot is making beef bourguignon. I've been collecting slow cooker cook books over the past year and I can't get enough. It's too easy to do well.

10. gort

gort Well-Known Member

I am going to unbox my crock pot tomorrow and try this. Will let you know how it turns out.

11. Crawford

Crawford Well-Known Member

I've only ever used my crock pot for chili - just seems to be the way to make it.

12. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I made the carnitas recipe from crockpot365. It's fantastic. Next time, I think I'll go a little heavier on the cumin...but ti's still great.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Any recipes for pork shoulder without the bone? I can get it fairly cheap from Costco pre-deboned and carved up. Will the lack of bone affect the anything more than the flavor?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  14. itsstillmatt

Cut it into large (4 inch or so) pieces. Season, then brown it in a pan, Then stick in your crock pot with cinnamon, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, chili powder and cumin. Add boiling water to come half way up then cook uncovered until it is falling apart. Take it out, let it cool, shred it. Reduce the remaining liquid until only a cup or so remains, then add the shredded meat and cook it on your stove until it is nice and brown. Of course, normal people do this on top of a stove, but you could do it in a crockpot as well. If you must.

15. gort

gort Well-Known Member

This was excellent. :slayer:

16. dwcopple

dwcopple Well-Known Member

Made Carnitas on Sunday. 3# Pork Loin End Roast. Seasoned with cumin, chili pepper, kosher salt, pepper, garlic, oregano. Covered it in a jar of canned mixed peppers from our garden. Cook all day, shred, and stuff into wheat tortillas with guac, salsa, and cheese....mmm mmm good!

17. delirium

delirium Well-Known Member

can someone rec a good carnitas recipe? ^^ looking for more details than above :)

might try iammatt's recipe for pork shoulder.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  18. itsstillmatt

My recipe is carnitas.

19. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Measurements usually help to denote a recipe. Otherwise, its just a paragraph.

20. itsstillmatt

Sorry, chef.