• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Swan Song

Reaction score
I've never seen a pair in the wild, post some pictures when the waves start to form. And tell us about how long the breakin period was.

What design to the tops did you pick? Pictures of those,also.

Layered Player

Reaction score
Or you're one length size to long
Snugness across the instep and snugness of the shaft at the lower leg(tongue area of the boot) keeps the heel from slipping too much till they are broken in. After breaking in, it's the snugness across the top of the foot that holds the foot in place. Gotta get that right. It should still slip a "bit" after break-in.
The higher quality the boot the better. Vintage Tony Lama, Nocona and one or two Justin's are the factory boots in my closet. Dan Post is a step down, and the cliff is steep after them. They may look like a cowboy boot, but that's about all.
Vintage Lucchese Boots are heads and shoulders above the other factory boots I mentioned(PRE 1990). They made one line of stock boot, additionally, one could get a custom. All Lucchese boots of that era were designed to have a slight twist as the foot slid into the vamp. It was patented. Also, a main reason the boot fit so well.

PM if you have questions.
Born and raised in SE TX and have been wearing boots since I could walk...Lucchese is all my father would buy as he had an 11.5 B foot. I have a pair of their Classics that I LOVE but don't wear much and some Justin Ropers that get worn almost every other day. Both fit like a glove as I went down a half size.

As a kid the old man bought me Dan Post bull hides because they wore like iron and were cheap enough to replace as I grew. Tony Lama calf was the first boot I paid for myself.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Haven't worn them yet so here is the only pic I have so far. Will post more when I wear them and when they start to break in.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Nice to see this thread revived!

Just thought I would post a link to a few of the boots I designed, and then had made by various boot companies.

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac155/JBoots37/Boots/

The large majority of the boots I own have either been made, or relasted by a bootmaker in Raymondville, Texas. My feet swell lots during the course of a day, so I favor the Southwest approach of a looser fitting instep. Also, since I have a flat foot and a low instep, my boots go on and off very easily. I also find a wider top (shaft) more comfortable around my ankle bones. It has taken me many years, $$$, and trips to Texas and the Southwest to figure out what sort of boot fit works best for me.

I gave up on trying to find RTW cowboy boots years ago, as nothing I tried on made in a stock size (no matter the brand) fit properly, and caused foot pain. Now that I have gone the custom route, my boots are comfortable, and give me lots of enjoyment.

Cowboy boot wearers will usually agree that a great looking, great fitting, well made boot is wonderful to wear, and great for one's "attitude factor". :)

J

Swan Song

Reaction score

Haven't worn them yet so here is the only pic I have so far. Will post more when I wear them and when they start to break in.

I see you added the concho, a good accent. Love the boots. Wear them in good health and post pictures all along.

I like conchos......

And a great vintage San Antonio Lucchese in elephant. Stovepipe top with a nice elephant overlay and classic Lucchese French toe.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Lucchese San Antonio belly cut gator on the bias. Alligator tip to stovepipe top in deep brown. Pulls and pull decoration even in alligator.
Lucchese's tapered French toe. Only worn on special occasions. Today was such a day.

GamaH

Reaction score

Nice to see this thread revived!
Just thought I would post a link to a few of the boots I designed, and then had made by various boot companies.
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac155/JBoots37/Boots/
The large majority of the boots I own have either been made, or relasted by a bootmaker in Raymondville, Texas. My feet swell lots during the course of a day, so I favor the Southwest approach of a looser fitting instep. Also, since I have a flat foot and a low instep, my boots go on and off very easily. I also find a wider top (shaft) more comfortable around my ankle bones. It has taken me many years, $$$, and trips to Texas and the Southwest to figure out what sort of boot fit works best for me.
I gave up on trying to find RTW cowboy boots years ago, as nothing I tried on made in a stock size (no matter the brand) fit properly, and caused foot pain. Now that I have gone the custom route, my boots are comfortable, and give me lots of enjoyment.
Cowboy boot wearers will usually agree that a great looking, great fitting, well made boot is wonderful to wear, and great for one's "attitude factor". :)
J

I *love* your "Tres Outlaws," "Stallion," and "Rios of Mercedes" boots.

Layered Player

Reaction score
Lucchese San Antonio belly cut gator on the bias. Alligator tip to stovepipe top in deep brown. Pulls and pull decoration even in alligator.
Lucchese's tapered French toe. Only worn on special occasions. Today was such a day.
Those are gorgeous!

My old man had a pair similar but the shaft was not 'gator.

He had a pair of sea turtle (they werent illegal at the time) like that though, brought the skins back from SE Asia himself. Should have seen the looks we got at customs.

Tri Tip

Reaction score
I really like this thread. Been in the rockabilly scene the last 20 years. In my opinion wear what you want and who cares what others think. I traded in my engineer boots for cowboy boots as I got older. I wear em every day. I also have a nice pair that I wear daily with suits for work. I'm in Southern California LA area, and they do get some stares. However, there are plenty of Hicks, Punks, Cowpunks and Rockabilly folks out here that understand style and you aint gotta be a cowboy in Texas to sport some. I really get bummed when I hear narrow opinions that only cowboys should wear cowboy boots. With that argument bikers shouldn't wear engineer boots, greasers too for that mater. After all when the first engineer boot was made it wasn't intended for bikers was it? Heaven forbid somebody wears a Pea Coat who aint in the Navy! Anyway I look forward to the cite!

Wear these everyday.

OCULUS

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I haven't been to this site in ages (but I'm still registered, Thx). Have never been to this page, but am tickled to see that it exists. Over the past several years (and several trips out west) I have become something of a collector of boots and am glad to find a place where I can indulge my interests with people who won't holler sumpin stupid.

Was particularly glad to see some JB Hills above. They really rank as my favorites; I have a new custom pair of anteaters--yup you read that right--in production right now. I just happened to ask Diana if they had any skins? Yup, I got the last pair, (cognac) and they are small, so I am only getting "triad" cuts, but they are going to be a lot of fun with some special trimming; She's already said she wants to photograph and show them directly to Dr. Jim before they leave the factory.

For openers, here's my first pair of custom JBH's "LaPluma" They are pictured with a vintage Churchill "Red River" from Neiman Marcus (via ePrey)

These are horse uppers with (I think) kangaroo shafts. I saw them featured as their boot of the month and went right to work getting fitted for a pair (a story unto itself). I also have a pair of the shell cordovans shown above; very handsome, comfortable boots. Hope I can learn something here; nice to be back to Style.

Ray

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads