• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

OCULUS

Reaction score

Bespoke by Dave Wheeler of Wheeler Boot Company, Houston.
Elephant and cow hide.
Vintage 2012 after 1.5 year wait.
20120726wheelerboots2.jpg

Handsome! At first, I thought the maker was the same as I saw in a WSJ article earlier this year, but you'll see, his name is Miller.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...151404277248024.html?mod=WSJ_article_comments

Speaking of elephant, I had on a new pair of Falconheads and took a picture in early morning light on the apron of our park's boat-launch; Feel the Grain!

Last edited:

OCULUS

Reaction score

Tony Lama Boot circa mid 1980's in a medium burgundy. A very supple goatskin, and a uniquely designed toe flower.

Wow! I just clicked on that enlarged picture of bug/toe flower on your TL boots--really spectacular. Almost like a ram's horn. Were they a custom design or something they marketed at that time?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

WHOOOOAA!
I love these! VERY impressive.
Some details please.

Thank you.

Navy alligator vamp and counter. Navy and bone kangaroo tops, inlaid filigree pattern. Inch and five-eighths heel. Old-fashioned "box" toe.

Completely bespoke.

sturm07

Reaction score
There is two style of cowboy boots. Are you talking about the riding boots (Frye Harness or Dan Post) or the show off boots (Lucchese). I have a pair of Frye Harness and 2 pair of Lucchese 1883. They fit and feel different. The Frye Harness riding boots are build like tank. They can take a lot of beating and are quite heavy. The Lucchese are made for show-off or short walk from point A to B. The fabrication is exquisite and all handmade. They also age very gracefully and mold to your feet but, they are not made to take a beating.

OCULUS

Reaction score
Four and a half years...a lot can happen. Hope your feet don't spread over that time! Good luck.

OCULUS

Reaction score

There is two style of cowboy boots. Are you talking about the riding boots (Frye Harness or Dan Post) or the show off boots (Lucchese). I have a pair of Frye Harness and 2 pair of Lucchese 1883. They fit and feel different. The Frye Harness riding boots are build like tank. They can take a lot of beating and are quite heavy. The Lucchese are made for show-off or short walk from point A to B. The fabrication is exquisite and all handmade. They also age very gracefully and mold to your feet but, they are not made to take a beating.

I think it is safe to say that we are discussing what you call "show-off" boots. I haven't ridden (horses) in years, but some of my "fancy" boots would certainly be good in the stirrups, especially elephant and bison--both are very tough. As is stingray and horse/cordovan, but beware, they don't like to stretch. Just don't assume that work boots are less well-made or costly than the "show-offs." Some guys dress well while working.

From what I can see, most here are urban cowboys with collections of both riding and fancy, many being vintage. Here are a couple of shots of the real deal--first on kids, second on their Dad, at a cutting horse training ranch in New Mexico that I visited last spring. Get the spurs...

Finally, I just got these back from Falconhead/Tres Outlaws, where they put neoprene half soles on them so they'd be a bit safer on my handle-barred stead.

Last edited:

OCULUS

Reaction score
DWFII: VERY elegant, and yet subtle. I'll bet you get a kick out of them though, every time you cross your leg!

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII: VERY elegant, and yet subtle. I'll bet you get a kick out of them though, every time you cross your leg!

No, I don't wear them--they went to a fellow (customer) in Belgium. His fifth pair as I recall.

Thanks though.

Swan Song

Reaction score

I always thought the Fry type boots were "biker boots" not cowboy.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edna Stewart