• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cordovan w/ tassles (the trad classic)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Absolutely not. Get either the original from Alden, or the version that they make for Brooks. - B
Can you give a link or list the specific differences between the Allen Edmonds Grayson & The Alden tassled loafer. Of each companies Shell model, are the shells not both sourced from Horween? What other construction or material differences are there? They look identical.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Can you give a link or list the specific differences between the Allen Edmonds Grayson & The Alden tassled loafer.
Of each companies Shell model, are the shells not both sourced from Horween?
What other construction or material differences are there? They look identical.

Here's an old Boyer piece about the origination of the tasselled loafer. It's a good summary.

If the differences don't jump out at you, then you should not care.

- B

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I agree, and think it also is the most versatile. Great for when taking one pair of shoes on a trip; the color is formal enough for business but also fine for casual wear.
I agree. Unless you can get this in caramel/scotch (a british tan) cordovan, the #8 is classic.

I do not like the standard dark brown reverse tassel, but if you can find the snuff suede tassel that I got, you'll be set.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
This is the way to go.
devil.gif
devil.gif

close, but no cigar...
boxing[1].gif

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I like the Alden version best I think the cordovan Grayson is quite nice, certainly much nicer than the picture on the AE website suggests. For all the posting the AE CEO does on his blog he should be capable of replacing the tassled turd pic with anything, even a fuzzy cellphone snapshot.

Alden > CJ/RL Darlton > Grayson

Swan Song

Reaction score
Who had the contract to make the LandsEnd tasseled loafer in the '90s? I bought a pair about 10-12 years ago that were made in the US, and they have been both durable and comfortable. Calf not Shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads