• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering Johston & Murphey Cap-Toe - Good Call?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Well, I'm going to try calling AE and seeing if they have anything close to a black Park Avenue for $150, even if "factory 2nds".

If that doesn't work out well, is it worth spending $140 on J&M's if they're that bad? Should I just get some cheap $80 shoe that looks fine from a distance and to the untrained eye until I can shell out the cash for the Park Avenue's? If so, what would that be?

Thanks again gentlemen,

-Evan

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J&M aren't that bad. I would try to find them on discount if you can. A cheap $80 shoe will be much worse. If you're looking or a shoe to hold you off, J&M or Florsheim will be fine.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go with the Park Avenues, go to a store that carries them and get fitted. The #5 last is one of AEs most narrow. I had to go from a D width to an E.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
If you decide to go with the Park Avenues, go to a store that carries them and get fitted. The #5 last is one of AEs most narrow. I had to go from a D width to an E.

I've got skinny feet, so this may be preferable, though I'll definitely take your advice to get fitted first. Better to be safe than sorry! I appreciate it!

-Evan

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Good lord - searching completed listings on ebay, Park Avenues sell used for 60-120 a pair!

What do I need to be watching out for when looking to pick up a pair of these? Again, I'm relatively new to the quality shoe scene, so I don't have a clue what to look for. I can probably get these resoled in the next 3 months, so given that fact, what key elements should I look for, and look to avoid in ebay used park avenues?

Thanks so much, gentlemen! Your help is deeply appreciated!

-Evan

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
Those JMs are fugly Euro trash. I picked up a pair of AE Park Avenues for $30 on Ebay. Preowned, but flawless. I'd go that route before I wasted $150 on some corrected-grain garbage.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Good lord - searching completed listings on ebay, Park Avenues sell used for 60-120 a pair!

What do I need to be watching out for when looking to pick up a pair of these? Again, I'm relatively new to the quality shoe scene, so I don't have a clue what to look for. I can probably get these resoled in the next 3 months, so given that fact, what key elements should I look for, and look to avoid in ebay used park avenues?

Thanks so much, gentlemen! Your help is deeply appreciated!

-Evan

Anyone have a response to this? I'm ready to buy a soon as I know what I'm looking out for.

-Evan

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
see if you can fit on a few pairs at the stores to get a sense for your size and most importantly which last and width work for you. Then call up one of the two AE shoe banks, they've got some solid sales on right now. I've been picking up a few pairs for anywhere from $99-159. At that price they're still a great deal.

I'd rather pay a little more, even if second, but direct from AE who have excellent service instead of some random ebay dude who's going to lie about the condition, ship them haphazerdly and never even think about taking them back. plus they're already "broken" in, literally.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it! I bought a pair of Johnston and Murphy captoes a few years ago. After wearing them around Chicago for one week, both heels started literally falling apart. I then made my first good shoe decision by returning the shoes to Macy's and convincing them to let me put my purchase price toward a pair of Allen Edmonds.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogued
http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds-PA...US_Men_s_Shoeshttp://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds-PA...US_Men_s_Shoes

http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds-Fi...US_Men_s_Shoeshttp://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-Edmonds-Fi...US_Men_s_Shoes

This should hold you over till you spring for new ones or get these resoled.

These look like excellent choices, I have bought from this seller before and they are A1.

OP, my comment was that if YOU could save up another $50 then you could quickly and easily find some nice black AEs to find.

Ahheck01

Reaction score

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Those look great, but based on what people here are saying, it may be worth spending $60 on an ebay pair of Park Avenues + $100 to get them resoled and refurbed and have a like-new $325 Allen Edmond shoe vs a $160 J&M shoe. Thoughts?

Totally agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads