• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktails - An Adventure in Modern Gender Roles

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Italian Cut
Looks good.
Not what I'd use, but good.

Personally,

>1 part Tanqueray or Gordon's
<1 part Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice

Rose's lime juice? Really? I know taste is subjective, but I can't stand that stuff. Too sweet.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically every bar I go to around here serves (gin) gimlets in a cocktail glass.

But I live in the hinterlands, so I suppose the idea of serving them in a tumbler or high ball with ice hasn't yet reached us.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Whenever I order a vodka martini I always feel like it would be similar to asking for a scotch on the rocks or something like that, definitely more masculine than feminine. A lychee martini, or something with raspberry or lemon in it, however...then it gets feminine. I tend to prefer the simpler "clear" martinis myself, though.

Surprised no one called you on the use of the word "martini." There's another thing that has been so thoroughly bastardized as to be meaningless.

Droog

Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you got the idea that a gimlet had to be gin only or served up. Since the 60's it was common to be asked "Gin or Vodka" and it was assumed to be served over ice in a short glass.

Originally Posted by Italian Cut
Not only did it used to be that a man could walk into just about any bar
and order a gimlet
and it wasnt thought of as strange,

but that man would have been given a gin gimlet in a cocktail glass.

Nowadays you have to be aggressive and specific if you walk up to a bar wanting to get a drink like that.

But you can't even say,
"Gin gimlet, up,"
because no one knows what the hell you're talking about, so they'll serve it in a whiskey glass with some ice.
So you have to say "Gin gimlet in a cocktail glass," if you even want the drink.

No one expects a man to know, much less want, a traditional cocktail served properly.

But here's my question: Why are cocktails, in cocktail glasses, suddenly considered feminine?
James Bond loved cocktails.
There are volumes of iconic images and movies of some suave mofos dressed to the nines, drinkin cocktails.
So what happened?

And I'm not even a cocktail buff or anything.
Hell, I'd just as soon drink the gin straight as drink it in a gimlet.

I'm just wondering what happened to make cocktails just a "chick" thing, when up till relatively recently, it wasnt at all.​

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Surprised no one called you on the use of the word "martini." There's another thing that has been so thoroughly bastardized as to be meaningless.

What are you talking about? Are you being an old crabby purist about gin martinis?

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Rose's lime juice? Really? I know taste is subjective, but I can't stand that stuff. Too sweet.
I've been told that if it isn't Rose's, it isn't a "gimlet" b/c Rose's is a unique, proprietary mix. But I share your disdain for the high fructose corn syrup. Question - why am I often asked if I want my martinis "up?" Do people order rocks martinis? I think I'll try one at home. I do sort of dislike cocktail glasses b/c of the frequent spillage. Maybe I should be ordering rocks martinis. Or not getting sloshed.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
A clear drink in a cocktail glass is never feminine. A colored one is.

Originally Posted by enjoiii
Do you consider a manhattan a girls drink?

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Lol. This is really dumb.

Originally Posted by BDC2823
+1
+2

A chick drink is one that uses a fruit juice/liqueur other than lemon/lime. A drink that is pure alcohol (diluted by the ice it is stirred or shaken with) is almost never feminine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Are you being an old crabby purist about gin martinis?

For this threak's diagesis? Yes. A martini = gin + dry vermouth, STIRRED not shaken.

Mulch Diggums

Reaction score
A clear drink in a cocktail glass is never feminine. A colored one is.

Drinking Jack Daniels straight out of the bottle while wearing a black jack daniels tank-top, black tight jeans and black leather cowboy boots. Eyes covered in darkish eyeliner and long hair to the shoulders dyed all black - now that's how to drink like a man. Only gets better if you have a Lemmy-looking mustasche.

(I like Cosmopolitan so I guess next step is to come out of the closet?
confused.gif
)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mulch Diggums
Drinking Jack Daniels straight out of the bottle while wearing a black jack daniels tank-top, black tight jeans and black leather cowboy boots. Eyes covered in darkish eyeliner and long hair to the shoulders dyed all black - now that's how to drink like a man. Only gets better if you have a Lemmy-looking mustasche.

(I like Cosmopolitan so I guess next step is to come out of the closet?
confused.gif
)

Yes.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
For this threak's diagesis? Yes. A martini = gin + dry vermouth, STIRRED not shaken.

Wrong. She didn't say a martini is made of vodka. She called it a vodka martini. Then she mentioned lychee martinis. Those are the names of the drinks.

You just wanted to act like some high and mighty grampa. The only legitimate gripe you would have had was if she called something a "martini" (without an adjective before it) and implied vodka instead of gin.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mulch Diggums
With all due respect - I think you are totally wrong. But I think you already know that. Thank you for your time.

No, really, I think you should come out. Imagine - all the Mai Tais in the world without an ounce of guilt!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads