• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston Vs Cobbler Shaker, Which one is better?

Misaki

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to cocktail making and I'm trying to figure out which shaker to buy. I've done some research and found that there are two main types of shakers: the Boston shaker and the Cobbler shaker. But I'm not sure which one is better.

From what I understand, the Boston shaker is a two-piece set consisting of a metal tin and a mixing glass that fit together. The Cobbler shaker, on the other hand, is a three-piece set that includes a metal tin, a strainer, and a cap.

Both shakers have their pros and cons. The Boston shaker is more versatile and can hold more liquid, which is great for making multiple drinks at once. It's also easier to clean since there are no small parts to take apart. However, it can be a bit more difficult to get a good seal and may require some practice to master.

The Cobbler shaker, on the other hand, is easier to use since it has a built-in strainer and cap. It's also a great option for beginners since it's easier to get a good seal. However, it can be harder to clean since there are more parts to take apart and it may not hold as much liquid.

In the end, I think it comes down to personal preference and what you're comfortable with. Both shakers can make great cocktails, so it's really up to you to decide which one works best for your needs.

What do you think? Do you prefer the Boston shaker or the Cobbler shaker? Let me know in the comments!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a boston shaker that I am happy with. Never used a cobbler shaker but am aware of them. I really want a mixing glass next.

Reaction score
I have always preferred the Boston shaker, with the two tins. Glass not only looks tacky to me, but they tend to break, which can cause injuries.

I do not care for the Cobbler, but it can look rather pleasing in a private setting, such as a home or office. I do not support their use in any bar, as the metals expand and make the Cobbler difficult to break apart.

I have also tried the Parisian shaker, and find many of the same issues as with the Cobbler.

Boston Shaker all the way, as well as making sure you have a proper mixing glass to stir your drinks such as the Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and Martini.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads