• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAVOUR Official Community - Discuss Tailoring, Shirting, Shoes & More - Official Affiliate Thread

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious to ask regarding letting out the legs, did your tailor let out from the inside leg seam?

I am the tailor as I do all my own alterations 😂

Yes, Cavour trousers have loads of excess inseam allowance for this purpose allowing you to make this alteration with ease.

C_kimlin920

Reaction score
Someone asked me this question a few days ago on IG and I took the below photos for them. on the mod 2 trousers I sized up, took in the waist and let out the legs to maximum allowance possible, the results are pretty good I think albeit the rise is lower than my usual preference. I have dropped a waist size since these were altered so probably need to alter the waist again when I get a chance. Hope these help.

View attachment 1876340 View attachment 1876341 View attachment 1876342
Thank you for the details and pictures, it helps a bunch.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, Cavour trousers have loads of excess inseam allowance for this purpose allowing you to make this alteration with ease.

ha no wonder, I was like that’s a lot work (usually goes to the skip category for me at that point)…

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone asked me this question a few days ago on IG and I took the below photos for them. on the mod 2 trousers I sized up, took in the waist and let out the legs to maximum allowance possible, the results are pretty good I think albeit the rise is lower than my usual preference. I have dropped a waist size since these were altered so probably need to alter the waist again when I get a chance. Hope these help.

View attachment 1876340 View attachment 1876341 View attachment 1876342
Ok, first off, I 100% thought the first photo was your derriere, and my Monday morning brain could absolutely not process what I was seeing.

IRT Cavour's tailored wear, the trews or what eventually stayed my hands in trying out some of their suiting, especially when they hit deep sale prices, which would have been incredible value.

That all sounds...way too troublesome for a less than ideal outcome, and, considering I likely prefer my pants to sit a good deal higher than you do (and do not do my own tailoring lol), a dealbreaker for me. I will be very curious to see how these higher rise trousers come out when they release.

C_kimlin920

Reaction score

when you meant you let out the legs to maximum allowance, how did you do that? from the crotch inseam all the way to the leg opening?

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, first off, I 100% thought the first photo was your derriere, and my Monday morning brain could absolutely not process what I was seeing.

IRT Cavour's tailored wear, the trews or what eventually stayed my hands in trying out some of their suiting, especially when they hit deep sale prices, which would have been incredible value.

That all sounds...way too troublesome for a less than ideal outcome, and, considering I likely prefer my pants to sit a good deal higher than you do (and do not do my own tailoring lol), a dealbreaker for me. I will be very curious to see how these higher rise trousers come out when they release.

I agree, it’s a lot of work, but if you consider that most people would get the waist and length altered on RTW trousers, enlargening the legs is not much more work - it took me 20 mins, and I’m hardly an experienced tailor.

For clarity, the front rise on these measure 30CM, the same as SM contemporary fit in my usual size, it is the back rise on Cavour trousers that is less than ideal for me - it needs around 3CM more.

StartingStyle

Reaction score
I agree, it’s a lot of work, but if you consider that most people would get the waist and length altered on RTW trousers, enlargening the legs is not much more work - it took me 20 mins, and I’m hardly an experienced tailor.

For clarity, the front rise on these measure 30CM, the same as SM contemporary fit in my usual size, it is the back rise on Cavour trousers that is less than ideal for me - it needs around 3CM more.

this makes me a lot of hope, my suit should arrive this week and my tailor needs to the same

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's less the difficulty of it than the cost for me. Even though my alternatives are pricier, tacking on lots of add-ons in cost does somewhat defeat the purpose of going the cost friendly route...particularly when, functionally speaking, the best case scenario end result is still suboptimal.

Not a knock on Cavour, mind you. Same issue with SM, I've found. Even sizing up in the waist (sometimes 2x!) just doesn't jive with my body/desired aesthetic, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As long as you bio the waist at the side seams and if the shoulders fit you, yes.
Would this be considered a good fit in the shoulders and overall? I'm quite new to quality tailoring so I'm unsure what a great fit should be.
This is a Cavour size 52 mod 2 herringbone from the last F/W collection. I originally ordered a 50 but sized up due to some tightness and slight "bending" of lapels in the chest.
When looking at the photos It should be taken into account that my right shoulders is a bit higher and extends less than the left due to scoliosis so I almost always get some degree of fabric bunching on that side.
Also I'm not sure if this is a question for this thread (or anyone really) but maybe someone has some experience with lifting and sizing tailoring so they can chime in.
How much more growth can I expect in the shoulder width with recreational natural lifting, considering I'm past my newbie gains phase? I started out as a 48 in most of tailoring (before lifting), was a regular 50 for a while and now I'm nudging more to the 52, at least in the chest.
Shoulders have increased somewhat but it has not been as drastic as the chest increase. I also have slightly below average frame width for my height to begin width so I'm unsure how much more I could "fill out" a 52 in their mod 2. Wishing there was a mod 3 with a few more cm added in the chest, that would accommodate most recreational lifters and also offer some drape with regular and smaller chested guys which IMO doesn't look bad at all.
I'm a big fan of Cavour, they have amazing customer support and seem to be great value for money and I'd love to build a tailoring collection with their pieces (eagerly expecting high rise, wider fit trousers which Kevin announced for the next season 🤞) but if the jacket fit doesn't work I might be forced to go with cheaper MTM on par with cavour sale prices as bespoke is way too pricey for my student income.
20230108_200229.jpg
20230108_173159.jpg
20230108_173406.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would this be considered a good fit in the shoulders and overall? I'm quite new to quality tailoring so I'm unsure what a great fit should be.
This is a Cavour size 52 mod 2 herringbone from the last F/W collection. I originally ordered a 50 but sized up due to some tightness and slight "bending" of lapels in the chest.
When looking at the photos It should be taken into account that my right shoulders is a bit higher and extends less than the left due to scoliosis so I almost always get some degree of fabric bunching on that side.
Also I'm not sure if this is a question for this thread (or anyone really) but maybe someone has some experience with lifting and sizing tailoring so they can chime in.
How much more growth can I expect in the shoulder width with recreational natural lifting, considering I'm past my newbie gains phase? I started out as a 48 in most of tailoring (before lifting), was a regular 50 for a while and now I'm nudging more to the 52, at least in the chest.
Shoulders have increased somewhat but it has not been as drastic as the chest increase. I also have slightly below average frame width for my height to begin width so I'm unsure how much more I could "fill out" a 52 in their mod 2. Wishing there was a mod 3 with a few more cm added in the chest, that would accommodate most recreational lifters and also offer some drape with regular and smaller chested guys which IMO doesn't look bad at all.
I'm a big fan of Cavour, they have amazing customer support and seem to be great value for money and I'd love to build a tailoring collection with their pieces (eagerly expecting high rise, wider fit trousers which Kevin announced for the next season 🤞) but if the jacket fit doesn't work I might be forced to go with cheaper MTM on par with cavour sale prices as bespoke is way too pricey for my student income.
View attachment 1876402 View attachment 1876403 View attachment 1876404
*nip (not bio, sorry)

IMO that's a pretty good fit for OTR. Depending on how well your shirt fits, you could shorten the sleeves somewhat and nip the waist, but the latter is just personal taste. It's fine as it is, really.

The back looks rather clean with the exception of some bunching around the shoulder blades. But bear in mind, this is OTR and not MTM/bespoke.

From what I can see, the length seems good and the shoulders seams to fit well. I can't see any divots or anything similar. A side pic would help to evaluate the latter though. It would also help to see how the sleeve fits. From the current pics, there seems to be some bunching which might be the result of the sleeve rotation.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Was not expecting that you did your own alterations, impressive!

Curious to ask how you gauge how much to let out in the thighs? I had 1 pair of Cavour trousers that's part of a suit where i've had to let out the waist and thighs, and basically just the inner thigh inseam out to the max.

StartingStyle

Reaction score
I received my suit super fast but the trousers are a no no, I hoped that they may be so wide that I could give them to a tailor with a bit of confidence but they‘re super tight..

Attachments

• B617B457-7D40-4477-BA65-1F98E2D4F921.jpeg
    B617B457-7D40-4477-BA65-1F98E2D4F921.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 441
  • 2DAC1D48-2E22-4919-87CA-6823C84A6B3F.jpeg
    2DAC1D48-2E22-4919-87CA-6823C84A6B3F.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 453

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my suit super fast but the trousers are a no no, I hoped that they may be so wide that I could give them to a tailor with a bit of confidence but they‘re super tight..
There is a lot of fabric to be let out. Give it to a tailor and he will fix it for you. It sucks that Cavours default trouser width is skinny fit, but I guess that is what the majority of customers want. I am just glad that they put in some extra fabric for us who wants trousers to fit like trousers and not leggings.

C_kimlin920

Reaction score
yikes.. going to return or have your tailor let it out? hows the overall suit jacket? Would like to see the jacket on too.. maybe try cuffing the pants a little so theres no break?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiranandanihospital