• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my Submariner in London in 2000 and have never had it serviced. Lately the crown was a little hard to unscrew and I could feel a slight resistance when setting the watch. All this time (24 years!) it was running around +4 sec per day on average. Just accepted the estimate from my AD.

Not sure how the hands were scratched as the case was never opened but whatever.

View attachment 2188101

Accuracy is not an indication that the watch does or doesn't need service. The movement that haven't been serviced in 24 years is bone dry and causes the gears to grind and wear on the jewels.

ctp120

Reaction score
Alright, I was being cagey about it the other day, but I am a-go with the Mirage. Putting my money where my mouth is. Ended up with the "Sienna," which seems like the clear choice. I hope @Dino944 is not too triggered by the hands.

View attachment 2091125

Been pretty pleased with everything I have seen. Quality appears to be top notch.

View attachment 2091127

First completed model should be done soon, and I am on the edge of my seat.
New episode of Collector’s Gene Radio just dropped with Sylvain Berneron. My jealousy of your allocation continues to grow . . .

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accuracy is not an indication that the watch does or doesn't need service. The movement that haven't been serviced in 24 years is bone dry and causes the gears to grind and wear on the jewels.
Yes, I totally waited too long. I’ll post the list of internal parts they replaced once I pick it up.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I totally waited too long. I’ll post the list of internal parts they replaced once I pick it up.
Seems about the same price I paid for a service of my GMT master 2.

And a real crystal/glass replacement adds about about 1.5k, see the kids thread to learn how I know😅

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New episode of Collector’s Gene Radio just dropped with Sylvain Berneron. My jealousy of your allocation continues to grow . . .

I've read so many interviews with SB, and listened to so many podcasts, that I think I can just about respond on his behalf to many of the questions - however, I did learn that his 2024 watch is a stone-dial, 34mm Mirage - which I think will be very cool. Overall, I thought this was a really nice interview, although of course Cameron always does a great job. I believe I will hold out, however, for the 2025 watch (provided I like it, of course), which will be an annual calendar that uses a novel method of adjusting the day/date/month.

As more information, details, pictures, and videos roll out of the Mirage, I become increasingly convinced that I made a good call on this. I, an unequivocal small timer, have an allocation of the first year's production with Auro Montenaro, Laurent Picciotto, Roni Madhvani, Jeff Stein, Nadine Ghosn, etc. Kind of crazy, really. And, also kind of crazy, SB responds to any WhatsApp message within minutes, has great customer service, etc. Which is more than I can say about damn near any brand.

I think I am most impressed, on a go-forward basis, with SB's plan for the brand. I feel like a lot of independents, particularly the less-established ones, create a watch and then... just continue making that watch. Maybe add in a new color down the line. Maybe create a second watch. Etc. SB has indicated that he has a 12-year plan in place, one release per year, a total of 4 product lines (the Mirage being one of them), etc. He has his first employee, and is adding a second in September. In short, I think the brand will look more like FP Journe in terms of the catalogue a decade from now, and that is pretty darn exciting to me. Sometimes I feel like watch brands live on a completely different planet, but this guy really gets it. I am pretty convinced that SB will be in the same, or a similar, tier as Gerald Genta, Gilbert Albert, etc. before too long - but that may just be my bias.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This one is for @am55 - this is a whole lot of watch for the price:

1716404753423.png

mrWatchley-24-5-166_1659x1659.jpg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flexing on a budget.

tweedlover

Reaction score
This one is for @am55 - this is a whole lot of watch for the price:

View attachment 2188469
mrWatchley-24-5-166_1659x1659.jpg

Attractive, but way north of $75,000 is a "whole lot of watch for the price?" Heavens, at that price they ought to throw in a new car with the watch. :D

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78