• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many BMWs also have the manual rev matching feature these days. 5 series for sure, and maybe even the latest 3/4s.

I heel-toe out of habit on the street, and I mostly drive between 2 and 4K RPMs. It's not just for turns, but also stop-and-go traffic. And I'm not racing up to a stopped car and braking hard. I look far ahead and am trying to maintain the average speed of the traffic flow. That also means maintaining at least a 2-4 second gap in front of me. The downshifts happen when I drop below 2K RPMs.

With lighter brake pressure on the street compared to very heavy brake pressure on-track, you have to alter your technique a bit. Most people find that it's easier to learn at first with heavier brake pressure, because it's easier to blip the throttle more when the brake pedal is lower. One way to get the feel of it is to just blip your throttle while you're stopped with your foot on the brake. You want to think of a quick stabbing motion when you do it. Don't ride the gas pedal especially with many of today's manuals having very heavy flywheels.

The street is actually the best place to learn. There's too much going on during a track session to figure that stuff out.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cost and longevity are two other big factors in the choice of SMG vs. manual. I think the jury is still out on the longevity of SMGs (though I shudder to think what the repair cost on one of those could be), but a properly maintained manual transmission will easily go hundreds of thousands of miles. There probably aren't too many manufacturers left who care very much about longevity beyond the warranty period on their cars, though. We small-timers who drive high mileage cars still appreciate it, though.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cost and longevity are two other big factors in the choice of SMG vs. manual. I think the jury is still out on the longevity of SMGs (though I shudder to think what the repair cost on one of those could be), but a properly maintained manual transmission will easily go hundreds of thousands of miles. There probably aren't too many manufacturers left who care very much about longevity beyond the warranty period on their cars, though. We small-timers who drive high mileage cars still appreciate it, though.

Manual transmissions are generally far less expensive to repair, refurbish, or replace than any kind of auto box.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People could just learn how to use the clutch, it's not that hard.

Yeah- like the woman driving next to me a while back with a phone on her shoulder- soda and cig in one hand, hair brush in the other and somehow managing to shift in stop/go traffic... :fu:

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally back from the paint shop. Now for the rest of the interior bits and the bumpers, and it will be done.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

David23

Reaction score
Bets on base pricing for the M4?

I'm gonna say $69K.

I'd say that is about right.

Wow a whole 10 hp increase? Whoopty doo

You forgot at least 74 lb-ft of torque increase, a lot lighter than previous gen, better fuel mileage, and etc.

Also BMW underrates it's HP and TQ numbers, look at the F10 M5 and F13 M6.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You forgot at least 74 lb-ft of torque increase, a lot lighter than previous gen, better fuel mileage, and etc.

Also BMW underrates it's HP and TQ numbers, look at the F10 M5 and F13 M6.

This is correct. The torque and weight saving figures alone will produce a much faster car.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Hroi you ever hear of powerband?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But the jalopnik article also says 0-60 in low fours. I understand this is all speculation, and there are better performance indicators than 0-60, but low fours? Current DCT m3's are already testing out faster than that

SomethingWitty

Reaction score
But the jalopnik article also says 0-60 in low fours. I understand this is all speculation, and there are better performance indicators than 0-60, but low fours? Current DCT m3's are already testing out faster than that

Well, if Jalopnik says it...
tongue.gif

BMW (and Porsche especially) tend to release more conservative performance stats, so low 4s seems reasonable.

Based on the stats, some testers will probably pull around mid 3s.

I've heard that Porsche tends to release stats that are achievable by most buyers, not what some pro driver can do at a track, under ideal conditions... Never been able to confirm that, but playing around with vBoxes and various cars makes that believable, even if just by coincidence.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads