• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

h.mikhail.h

Reaction score
Nice designs similar to what I am considering. Have your worn these in rain / poor weather and if so how have they faired?
Since 2021, each one's been caught in the rain and snow a few times.. They've been wet, but never super soaked. They are still in very good condition (taking into account they're part of an 8+ boot rotation).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone: we are honored to have the opportunity to announce:

Carmina has a special offer for New Yorkers! From October 12 to October 24, their Madison Ave store is offering an exclusive bespoke service. Using high-tech foot scanning, they create the perfect-fitting shoes or boots, starting at $1615. Skilled artisans analyze your foot data to ensure unmatched comfort and style.

Please check for details here:

Don't forget to report back here if you try this service!

Cheers,

Fok.

mdjd

Reaction score
Anyone have the Rain D and Simpson in the same size? I wonder how the fit compares, and if they look the same. Unfortunately the comparison tool doesn't have Rain D on it. Thanks

gmalicki

Reaction score
Anyone have the Rain D and Simpson in the same size? I wonder how the fit compares, and if they look the same. Unfortunately the comparison tool doesn't have Rain D on it. Thanks
I think you're just after the standard rain last, unless there is another variant I have not seen before

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're just after the standard rain last, unless there is another variant I have not seen before

No, Rain standard width is E, and I couldn't possibly wear it in the same size as Simpson. If I were to give Rain (E) a try, I'd go -.5 versus Simpson. I've never tried on Rain D

gmalicki

Reaction score
No, Rain standard width is E, and I couldn't possibly wear it in the same size as Simpson. If I were to give Rain (E) a try, I'd go -.5 versus Simpson. I've never tried on Rain D
I see what you mean now, I didn't realize Carmina offered narrow sizes.. my guess is rain d would fit would fit similarly to Simpson, maybe a bit more snug but not enough to size up.

I obviously have no idea though, best of luck in your sizing endeavor

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Found this from way back:

mdjd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've read that the Simpson last runs narrow, it's on their website.

Has anyone actually tried on and compared Rain D to Simpson though?

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've read that the Simpson last runs narrow, it's on their website.

Has anyone actually tried on and compared Rain D to Simpson though?
If you click the link to the conversation I shared there are some notes from someone who has

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Frankentastical..
IMG_8828.jpeg

mdjd

Reaction score
If you click the link to the conversation I shared there are some notes from someone who has
You did! I didn't see it, that's perfect. Seems like Rain D is slightly less volume overall that Simpson. A poster on Reddit said his Simpson feels a bit tighter in the heel and lower instep that Rain D, but Rain D has a narrower toebox, the guy you quoted says Rain D is also narrower in the heel and lower instep. Hmm.

Interestingly, a Carmina rep over email says that Rain D is their standard width, not narrow, but that can't be right, because Rain is standard EE (Simpson considered narrow at E width). They must be confused though.

mdjd

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, the official response from Carmina re: Rain D

"1. Rain D: This is a standard EE width, which is the same as our regular Rain EE width. It's suitable for most individuals with a standard foot width.

2. Rain EEE: The Rain EEE is designed for those with a wider foot and offers an extra-wide fit. This is 2mm wider than the Rain D/EE.

What sets Rain D apart from the standard Rain width is the slightly lower instep. This characteristic is particularly well-suited for loafers, offering a comfortable and secure fit. We do not have Rain in E narrow width."

However, the anecdotal experience from people trying them on and owning them is that they are a narrow size, similar to Simpson. While that could be placebo effect i.e. they're expecting it to be narrow so it feels narrow, I've also had in store reps tell me Rain D is narrow. So someone is wrong here

PGS

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, the official response from Carmina re: Rain D

"1. Rain D: This is a standard EE width, which is the same as our regular Rain EE width. It's suitable for most individuals with a standard foot width.

2. Rain EEE: The Rain EEE is designed for those with a wider foot and offers an extra-wide fit. This is 2mm wider than the Rain D/EE.

What sets Rain D apart from the standard Rain width is the slightly lower instep. This characteristic is particularly well-suited for loafers, offering a comfortable and secure fit. We do not have Rain in E narrow width."

However, the anecdotal experience from people trying them on and owning them is that they are a narrow size, similar to Simpson. While that could be placebo effect i.e. they're expecting it to be narrow so it feels narrow, I've also had in store reps tell me Rain D is narrow. So someone is wrong here
FWIW, I tried and failed to wear a Rain D in the same size as Simpson. I have a low-volume foot and take a narrow width with some brands. I can get away with wearing Simpson in my regular TTS size rather than sizing up, and so I had expected the same with Rain D. But the toe box was just crushing.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sallydaveis